Rolls anyone??

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Smoke, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Smoke

Smoke New Member

I wasn't sure if this actually fit into the safety razor forum.

Anyone use a Rolls on a regular basis?? I like to use mine at least twice a week...Surprisingly good shaves, not to mention just a cool looking instrument for man scraping!!!

2. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

Smoke,

I've got two of them. One works very well. Used it yesterday for the first time. The other needs some major work on sharpening. I have given it a lot of honing and stropping and it still will not cut hair on my arm like the other one.

I was a bit concerned about using it since it is a strange looking razor and I had serious problems with a Valet Auto Strop the first time out. But decided that Thanksgiving Day was a good time to try it since I do not have to go anywhere until Sunday and any nicks etc would heal by then.

I tried a technique very much like I use with my GEMS and found that to be just right. Got a very presentable though not BBS shave from one of the Rolls Razors.

My shave included a total head shave as well. Being follically challenged does not make my daily shaving any easier. Did find that the blade guard did interfere with the head shave as it did not turn out as good as normal.

Over all I found using the Rolls Razor an exciting and enjoyable experience. It even had my wife curios enough that she watched the entire process. Hoping above all else that I would not cut myself since I am on coumadin.

I do not plan to use it as often as you but will work it in my rotation so that I use it about once per month as a change of pace.

3. Smoke

Smoke New Member

Do you have the "Instructions" that came with it?? I found them to be helpful when I first went for it! If you need a copy, let me know,,,I can scan and em them to you.

Regards.

4. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

I'd like to get one, but they seem to be turning into somewhat of a hot commodity as the prices I see at eBay are beginning to escalate.

5. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

Smoke,

Would love to have a set of instructions for the Rolls Razor. Just to say I have them and just to see if D.Irving79 taught me right about the darn thing. :happy102

I will send you a PM with my email addy. You will send a PDF I assume.

Thanks much!

6. SlagleRock

SlagleRock Member

Wow blood thinners and you chose DE shaving as a hobby. You are a brave man. I don't blame your wife I would have been watching closely as well.

7. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

Actually chose DE & SE shaving before I was on the blood thinners. Had heart surgery in June and then some complications that make the use of coumadin necessary for awhile. Hope to be off them in the next month or two.

But my Dr said it was okay to DE or SE shave. I will not bleed to death if I do nick myself. To that I can attest. One thing though is that when I do get a nick or a weeper it comes up quicker, meaning I bleed easier, that before the coumadin. It is also hell to get stopped quickly. No, the blood does not gush out but a quick flick with the styptic does not always stop the bleeding.

As a result I am more careful when I shave and also make time to get the blood stopped before I put on a shirt.

I guess the blood thinners make shaving even more of an adventure than before.

8. Fenix

Fenix New Member

My wife picked up a Rolls on one of her trips one weekend. I have not be able to get it to shave anything, but it is an pretty awesome looking razor/carrying case. I would like these instructions as well. I will send you a PM. Thanks.

9. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    If you could add them here that would be great!

10. stolenmirth

stolenmirth New Member

I found one at a flea market that was in great looking condition, and I was able to talk the seller down to five bucks because the hone was cracked. That worked out well though because I discovered that using my regular barber's hone works really well. Just lay it flat and give it a couple of strokes, flip the guard over by hand and then do the other side. It only took about five minutes of this to get a very decent shaving edge.

11. Milton

Milton New Member

I picked one up when I first ventured into wetshaving, but used it for the first time today. It was not as sharp as I should have gotten it, but it shaved nicely with only minimal pulling. I'm going to run it over the hone some more to sharpen it up and shave with it again in a few days.