RR Stealth Slant razor - some impressions

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

For the past 10 days I've been using the much rumored/anticipated RazoRock Stealth Slant razor.
    It is my very first slant razor so I have nothing to really compare it to outside of the DE, SE and SR that I've used.

I've used it for about 7 out of the past 10 shaves and with various soaps (Cella, 3P, Stirling, Arko, etc), blades (GSB and Astra SP) - and always with my SOC Boar brush.

Here are some highly personal and subjective thoughts on the razor after a week+ with it.

Looks/Feel
    Rating: 8/10

When I first saw pictures of the razor I thought the handle looked very 'overdone'. Way too many cut outs in the handle and I even wondered how comfortable it really would be to hold. I also read that it was aluminum and since my favorite razors are large and heavy it did worry me a bit.

I must admit I really had no reason to be worried.
    Immediately when picking up the razor it felt very, very solid. I had imagined that it would be almost bakelite light...but it had a surprisingly nice weight to it. The head does feel a bit light though and I get a sense of when I shave with it that there is a bit too much weight in the handle for me and not enough in the head so it feels a little bit unbalanced. But I know these things are very subjective.

The handle, even though it sure does have a lot of things going on it, felt great in my mitten-hands and I have noticed that it is very safe/secure to hold during a shave - no risk for slipping what so ever.

There is a also a bit of sexiness going on here due to the look and nice, matte black color.

Sexy razor:
    [​IMG]

Comes with a nice, sturdy holder that will keep your razor, well, standing up. Looks nice.
    [​IMG]

Photo side-by-side to an SOC boar brush to provide sense of scale:
    [​IMG]

Engineering/Quality
    Rating: 8/10
    It's your regular three-piece razor. Handle, base plate and top cap.
    There is a bit of a difference here and that is that once you have loaded the blade and about to screw on the handle the pin is actually not protruding enough through the base blate to be screwed onto the handle. I believe this is due to the fact that the two parts of the head needs to be compacted together to angle the blade in the slant.
    It's not a big deal though as you can simply press the base of the head to make the pin pop out a bit and then screw on the handle. Maybe this is the way it is with all slants. I wouldn't know - but it did strike as a bit odd at first.

Disassembled razor (the 'spots'/stains are just a bit of water as I apparently can't wipe down a razor before I take photos of it):
    [​IMG]

I also remember seeing some youtube videos about once you screw on the handle you have a bit of audible 'click' either from the blade or handle when it's fully screwed in. I never did hear that so maybe that was from the stainless steel prototypes and/or maybe I just used the 'wrong' blade.

Having said all that - the engineering is excellent. It screws in very securely. No give at all once it's on there. Handle and head feels like a very solid unit.

There are no markings, text, logos, etc at all on the razor. It's very stealthy like that.

Performance
    Rating: 5/10
    Arguably maybe the most important aspect of any razor - how does it actually shave.
    Let's start out by saying that it's a rather mild razor. If you are used to/like more aggressive razors this may or may not be the one for you. It does however give a rather effortless shave and it's pretty hard to nick yourself with the razor.

Close-up (sorry for the sub-par iPhone photos) of the head with blade in it:
    [​IMG]

From the top looking down:
    [​IMG]

Having never used a slant before I was a bit 'worried' the first couple of times I used it.
    "Do I hold/angle it differently?" "Do I make different strokes now?"
    But, it turns out that you basically just shave like you would with any DE razor.
    There is a bit of a 'sweet spot' or 'sweet angle' to the razor that it probably took me 3-4 shaves until I had dialed in.

Now, I've openly declared I came to this razor with zero slant-experience so maybe my impressions are different than if I had more experience but....I just don't find the razor to be all that remarkable when it comes to performance. End of the day it's a very mild razor that does an ok job ('ok' meaning that I often find that I have to go back and do touch-ups around the edge of my jawline and under my chin).

I must admit I don't quite 'get' the point of slant razors if this is a good representation. It's a good shave but nothing spectacular and currently I wouldn't rate it among my top five razors when it comes to pure performance.

I am not prone to develop razor burns/bumps or anything of that nature - maybe if I was maybe a slant helps in that area. I can only speculate on that.

Conclusion and highly subjective rambling:
    It's a great looking razor that feels good to hold.
    The manufacturing is very well done (even taking into account small 'oddities' like having to hold in the baseplate to be able to screw on the handle).
    If a razor can be sexy - this is one sexy razor.

From a pure performance perspective it's a bit 'meh' to be completely honest.
    It shaves well but I feel it's a bit too mild [for me] and too often over these past 10 days have I had to go back and do spot-clean-ups.

I'll obviously hold on to it (being that it's such a sexy little thing) and I will use it more over the next coming weeks to see if my impression changes as I get more and more comfortable using it.

Well, that's my story.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  2. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Thanks for the review. I have a feeling those would be about the same thoughts I'd have on it.

3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I concur. That is one smart looking razor! Sorry the performance didn't match the visual appeal.
    Time to pick up a Merkur 37 & do a side-by-side!

Tdmsu likes this.
  4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Thanks for the review! I'm finding I like milder razors, I haven't used my R41 in some time, same goes with my 37c and FaTip piccolo.

5. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

Please post a side profile shot so I can see the cutting angle. If it's small enough I might get it.

6. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

Arrrggggg I want to get this razor so bad, but I almost feel like Joe is holding out purposefully to increase anticipation for sales when they are released. I may just go with a 37 instead.

7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Tried & true; with a proven track record—and very good resale value should it not agree with you.

Tdmsu likes this.
  8. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Here's some additional snaps, hopefully they may help:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
    RaZorBurn123 and Tdmsu like this.
  9. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Nice review! I was worried that this one would be too light because of the aluminum. I am also curious to hear any comparisons you could make if you try another slant someday.

Darkbulb likes this.
  10. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

An excellent review Dark!
    (and very good pictures too, as usual)

I have to say that if you were to try a Merkur 37C, (as Kevin suggests)
    you are going to find a world of difference.
    There is nothing "meh" about the Merkur.
    Handled by a person who is focused and deliberate, it is a stellar shaver.
    Let slide your attention for two seconds however, and you'll pay.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
    Tdmsu and Darkbulb like this.
  11. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Thanks!
    I do of course reserve the right to change my opinion about the meh-feeling as I give the razor a few more spins. :)

VedderLG likes this.
  12. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

Nice review! My RR Slant has become my daily driver. I hope you can get rid of the meh feeling. I have been able to mow down 6 days growth twice now with no discomfort. I love it. YMMV as always.

Darkbulb likes this.
  13. Aeacus

Aeacus New Member

That matte black look is so darn cool. :p Shame you didn't have as good of a result with it; wasn't even aware of slant razors here and they look really unusual...

14. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Actually I shaved with it again today and had a good shave. Some minor touch-ups but overall a very clean two-pass shave.
    I guess not really having a lot of experience with slant razors I don't really see the 'why' in the design. It shaves pretty much like any DE razor I've tried - not better, worse or different :)

The one thing I forgot to mention in the mini-review above is that I notice I need to rinse this razor a lot more often than I normally do. It seems to clog up very fast.

Is it at the end of the day a good razor? Absolutely. Just not exceptional. To me. Yet. :)
    (And yes, it is a very sexy razor).

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  15. Occams Razor

Occams Razor Member

Excellent review and pictures . I also have a RR slant and I also agree with your comments .however I've only had two shaves under my belt and my second shave was better than the first. So I'm trying to keep an open mind and take a wait and see attitude about how well this razor cuts through the whiskers . One thing I have noticed is the angle of the razor is a little different than what I'm used to ,but I believe that will take care of itself as confidence and time continues !

Darkbulb likes this.
  16. Courierdog

Courierdog New Member

I obtained a RazoRock Stainless Steel Slant Sept 20, 2014 and have been using it daily ever since.
    I have a very difficult face to shave in that I have a very tough beard with extremely sensitive skin.
    I have had barbers shave me and tell me I have the worst type of beard to shave in that it is like high tensile steel fibres set in a fragile surface which is extremely easy to damage.
    So for my face the RRSSS is a dream come true I have a BBS every day with comfort and safety.
    As to a choice of blade, any good quality stainless steel blade preferably with a platinum coating seems to work best with my skin type although the blades with teflon also perform well. I have gravitated to using only a shaving soap and a silver tip badger brush and bowl lathering as I cannot face lather due to my skin type reacts badly to even the least amount of rubbing or scratching.
    With the RRSSS (RazoRock Stainless Steel Slant) there is zero facial irritation arriving from the razor, if I allow the blade to become dull then there is some tugging and pulling but never any nicks or cuts. With the RRSSS I do not have to be careful to use only the lightest of touch for fear of cutting my self. the RRSSS is the safest razor I have used in over 50 years of shaving.
    I have bought ever Slant on the market as of Dec 2014 and a few vintage versions plus more than I care to admit of the standard DE razors. I have more than satisfied my RAD. The RRSSS is my go to razor and my face smiles every time I pick it up. LOL
    My Christmas wish for everyone is, I hope Santa find your home and leaves you a RRSSS under your tree.

jeraldgordon likes this.
  17. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

That's intriguing. You have whetted my appetite! Going to Joes website now...

18. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

Stainless stealth slants won't be back until early to mid January. Aluminum stealth - slants end of January.

19. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Thanks!

20. GSlim66

GSlim66 Well-Known Member

That's a nice looking razor