Rust Problem

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by dgamby, Jun 9, 2011.

1. dgamby

dgamby Active Member

Gents,

I've recently discovered the wonderful little Schick Krona. I took it on a trip and was just knocking out consistently pleasant shaves. Not the closest, but almost no irritation when paired with the right blade.

The problem is that it has some rust right underneath where the razor blade sits. the consequence is that within a day or two rust starts spreading onto the blade, and it looks like it is spreading on the razor as well.

Can anything be done when a razor starts to rust like this or do I just need to go look for a non-rust krona?

Thanks all!

2. Moe

Moe Active Member

They used to sell this stuff in autoparts stores next to the touch up paint called rust inhibitor (in small little bottles). Normally you would prime and paint over it (for a car), but you might try that.

-Moe

3. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Unless I'm mistaken, which could be completely possible, the blade bed, the whole head in fact, is not really supposed to rust at all. What you are probably experiencing is the blade rusting, and since it is sitting on the bed, it leaves a little rust stain on the bed but as it continues to rust it spreads. I know with certainty that gold doesn't rust, but you can stain it! My gold techs both had rust stains under the caps when I got them and there really is no way that the rust would come from the caps or the bed, so it had to come from the blade. I reckon the same thing is happening here since that razor was made out of, or at least plated with, corrosive resistant material.

Like I said, there could be something wrong with my logic, but I betcha that's what is happening. I'm sure someone will come along and KNOW what the answer is and solve your problem and confirm/debunk my idea. I'm interested in finding out either way :D

4. dgamby

dgamby Active Member

Hadn't thought of it being rust stains. Do blades tend to rust within 3 days of being in a razor? Does anyone take their blade out of the razor between shaves? Maybe that's what I'll start doing as a short term fix.

5. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Some folks do but I don't. Just a few shakes after rinsing and up in the holder it goes.

6. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

I would pull the blade out and dry it separately from the razor, out here with my crappy water it tends to corrode the blades quite fast.

At least that way you know if its the razor or the actual blade!