Salvaging My Caswell-Massey

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Gillette_Man, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

I pretty much panned Caswell-Massey soap in this thread, and fully intended to return it, but it was so cheap and the wooden bowls are so nice, I thought I would try to find a way to effectively use it. As a stand-alone soap, it still sucks, but strangely enough, it makes a kick-ass superlather with my Taylor's creams -- plus it does not contain any animal products, which I prefer not to use.

So all's well that ends well. :D

2. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

MMMMMmmmmm animal products. Get some MWF.

3. Mr. Igg

Mr. Igg New Member

I've had that happen with several very marginal soaps (usually boutique soaps). Strange. I haven't yet figured out what does the magic...

4. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Wool fat -- hmph! :rolleyes:

I'm waiting for someone to make shaving soap out of people fat like in Fight Club. :happy102

5. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

KMF unscented to the rescue....................AGAIN.

The CM Sandalwood soap and bowl are beautiful but the scent is THE best aspect of the package.
    Horrible, disappearing lather that can only be saved by mixing with another product.

6. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Caswell Massey should discontinue their shaving soaps and creams--they are the worst.

7. xChris

xChris Member

I'm no soaper, but I suspect it has to do with the clays, extra glycerin, or oils/fats (e.g., shea) that the smaller vendors are more likely to use. If I'm not mistaken, sometimes these ingredients can sometimes retard or inhibit the lather that us wetshaving aficianados crave (thick with small, tight bubble matrix).

8. JimR

JimR Active Member

So, basically, you're scenting the Taylor's cream with the CM soap?

9. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Well, whatever minor goodness existing in that soap seems to help make a richer lather also.