Saw This On Reddit...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PanChango, May 8, 2013.

1. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

An Upcycled bolt handle. I like it, but it doesn't look overly comfortable. What do you think?

[​IMG]

178-bplatoon and ohpaos like this.
  2. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Doesn't do a thing for me. I'll pass.

3. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

I would agree. Doesn't look comfortable at all.

4. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Plenty grippy though..:D I wonder.. if those threads were smoothed down..:think002:

ohpaos and lradke like this.
  5. gregindallas

gregindallas Rolls Razor Revivalist

I think I would prefer the bolt to go thru the base and cap. Then with a std nut under the base and a large wing nut on top of the cap.:D

6. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

It reminds me a bit of some customs from UFO & Robert Smith (cooncatbob, BRW). I quite like it. Perhaps the bite from the threads could help retrain shavers who apply too much pressure to the skin? :p

Like slipperyjoe I think something could be done to attenuate the threads without changing the look. I'm curious about the balance-- Would these type of bolts make the razor too "tip heavy"?

7. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

A little too "hipster" for me. Just cuz people can do something, doesn't mean they should.

8. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Well, it's different at least. The handle is too hefty for my taste, but I like the idea. Use something entirely different as a handle. Why not?

9. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

I agree no comfort, but good idea

10. Taipan

Taipan Well-Known Member

One of the many pleasures of DE shaving is the aesthetic appeal; that bolt doesn't have any for me.

youngunn likes this.
  11. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Looks more interesting than practical.

12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yep.

13. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

VERY interesting concept...:) The threaded bolt shaft looks like it would give you good grip. Does it? It also seems it would give you great variety in materials(SS,titanium,brass,bronze,aluminum) as well as handle weight and length. You could use a half threaded hex bolt or put a long spacer(either smooth or knurled) over the bolt shaft. You could use just a threaded rod and screw a steel or wooden ball on one end(ball end tech) And all of this could be done pretty inexpensively I would think....My only problem with it as far a regular people go (ie Those of us who aren't mechanical) is how do you drill the hole in the center end of the bolt? That has to be "Damn" difficult!!!:happy088:

ohpaos likes this.
  14. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

If having to shave with heavy, slippery rubber gloves, it might have merit. Bare handed could be rough. Very creative though.

15. DirtDiver

DirtDiver Member

+1 I agree

youngunn likes this.