Scrubbing Bubbles On Gold Razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Gillette_Man, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Is this safe to do? The Toggle I just bought was covered with the most amazingly stubborn soap scum I have ever encountered, and although I finally removed it from the surface areas, I'm sure there is some still lurking in the crevices. Is SB safe to use on gold plating?

2. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Send it to me. I have a sandblast cabinet.

3. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

I'll do that if I decide I'd rather have a silver Toggle. :rolleyes:

4. Hi Rick,

I've used Scrubbing Bubbles on numerous gold razors with no problems. Let it sit for a little while after it's been sprayed on whatever. Pretty good stuff.

I imagine you're gonna be using the extra coarse steel wool along with those bubbles, and don't be afraid to really bear down with the wool!

Hehe, like that Rick? For the newer members who aren't completely sure..........steel wool is not recommended.
    Martin

5. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

I'm out of steel wool, can I substitute a Scotch Brand green scrubbie pad? :D

6. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

On the off chance you were looking for SERIOUS advice, I hear good things about ultrasonic cleaners. Gets in all the cracks and crevices. I know Klaus and Steve both have them and, as far as I know, are pleased.

7. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

That's a good idea, but I don't think I'd use one enough to warrant the purchase.

8. Hiya again,

Funny you should mention a silver toggle...........I actually prefer em that way. Yeah, I like the silver color better for some reason.

As you might know, I recently took all the gold off my toggles. Yeah, I posted about that a few months ago I think. Used a vice to hold the razors, and a small belt sander with medium grit. Heh, made that gold disappear in hurry. Yep, did that to all eight of em, and it's quite an improvement!

Hope that helps with any confusion,
    Martin

9. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Yeah, stupid gold! Now if I can just figure out how to remove that darn Rhodium from my President, I know I'd be much happier! :D

10. Rick,

You might think about Michael's idea about that cleaner. Seriously, it seems like something you'd use and enjoy. Leisureguy did a very nice write up on those a while back......talking about the different models and what they all do. Sorry I can't remember if it was here or his blog that I read it.

These things aren't real pricey ( about $50), and are supposed to do a great job with just plain water. I couldn't tell you for sure about how safe they are for gold, but that's easy to research.

Hope that helps,
    Martin

11. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

I use Goop Hand Cleaner on my gold razors' difficult spots. I slap it on thick and let it sit for a little bit and then use my fingertips to scrub it lightly. The Goop is made for skin so isn't very aggressive, but it does get grime out.

12. chimes13

chimes13 New Member

I use scrubbing bubbles and a soft toothbrush on ever razor including gold ones. Never had a problem. Also doesn't remover paint on numbers but I don't scrub too hard on that part.

13. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

when i acquire gold razors (which is very rare these days) ill only use scrubbing bubbles to clean them; im too paranoid to use anything else.

14. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Gold razors have the lacquer, and as long as the lacquer is not damaged then SB should be fine. I used it on the two gold ones that I had with no problem. I would pic a spot and test it personally if you are that paranoid. On the other hand a infant toothbrush with baking soda and water works great too.