SE or DE razor!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by ztirf1953, Jun 13, 2010.

1. ztirf1953

ztirf1953 Active Member

I've been enjoying the photo of the Gem Featherweight SE razor. I would love to have one.

My question is this: which one offers a closer shave: a single edge razor or a double edge razor.

Also, why isn't anyone making new single edge razors?

Fritz:confused:

TobyC likes this.
  2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I know people are going to give their opinions here, but my opinion is that is too difficult to pinpoint. There are many variations of each type of razor. The only person I can think of who may have tried them all is Dridecker. :rofl

There's no reason you can't enjoy both. And the closer shave doesn't always equal enjoyment.

Short answer; buy them all! :rofl (short, not cheap answer :D)

3. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

The giggling lady gave lots of great advice really!

You'll find lots of folks that like/love/hate each style of razor, so like so many things in our hobby you'll never know unless you try one yourself, which I highly recommend you do. S/E razors can give some fantastic shaves!

As for the downfall, my opinion is that they were just crushed by the marketing campaign of Gillette, and when the cartridge style razors became popular, that was the final nail in the coffin.

4. over5feet

over5feet Active Member

I don't know how it would work but you could mine a test drive? thing is I'm in the UK

5. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

It would be easy just to say single edge, but it's not that simple. I think that the very best shaves I've gotten from DE razors are about as close as the ones I get from my favorite SE razors and injectors. I find it easier to get a great shave with something like a Gem 1912 or a G type injector, but really, there's no guarantee that your experience will be the same as mine.

I suspect that they were having trouble competing already with the marketing machine behind DE razors, then cartridges came along (Dridecker makes the same point). The last Gem single edge razors were produced, I think, in the early 70s, around the time cartridges were introduced. Probably their popularity dropped to the point where it just wasn't worth it any more. Maybe somebody else has actual sales figures to back that up. There were still people who wanted to continue using their SE razors, and the blades have other uses anyway, so blade production hasn't stopped. At this point, people who want to try out SE razors can still take their pick of great vintage ones at very low prices. If the vintage SEs became rare and pricey enough, then it might be worthwhile for someone to make a modern version.

By the way, if you do try one, I strongly recommend the 1912 style. Much, much, better than the Featherweight, IMHO.

6. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

I would like to chime in here. I am a dedicated user of SE razors. I still include a DE and a couple injectors in my rotation though.

I have found that all three types give me great shaves. The technique is just a bit different on the three types and I have found that some models of DE and SE shave better than others.

I find the GEM featherweight not too much to my liking. Just too light and the handle seems slippery to me. Now the '12 GEM and my lather catchers are the cats meow.

For DE razors I prefer the older open comb and other 3 piece razors rather than the TTO versions. I do include three TTO DE razors in my rotation but they are all from before 1950.

I suggest that you give the featherweight a try. Can't be too expensive and if you do not like it you can simply sell it in the B/S/T forum.

One thing that you may consider is getting SE blades. There are not nearly as many of them on the market as there are DE blades. I find the Ted Pella PTFE coated SE blades to work best for me. I have tried other blades and found them wanting when it comes to providing a BBS shave.

There are many brands of DE blades out there. I have settled on the Gillette 7O'Clock Sharp Edge (yellow box) as my go to DE blade. But I also like Super Iridium blades.

You have many choices before you. Be aware that you just don't pick one razor based upon the recommendations of those given in a shave forum. That is a place to start but be open to trying other razors in all three types and the many styles within each type.

Good luck trying to find that "right" razor for yourself. And beware of the evil "RAD" it will jump up and bite you in the wallet very quickly and without warning.

Send me a PM with your mailing address and I will send you a Featherweight to take for a test drive. If you like it we can work out a deal for payment. I do not want the world for the razor as I do not use it much anymore.

7. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I'll I can add is that if you try a SE, don't start with a GEM MicroMatic. I'm yet to try any other SE razors, but this one doesn't get much love. From my experience, it's rather harsh on the face.

8. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

when it comes to DE v. SE, think Plessy v. Ferguson: separate but equal.

+1000. First SE I bought was a micromatic. A kind soul let me borrow a variety of other types of SEs before it arrived. I would have quit with SEs if my only experience had been with micromatics.

9. Sargon

Sargon Well-Known Member

YMMV, but I find that SE take a little more skill to make work, an, but find that they give a slightly better shave, once you get used to them. At elast my 1912 does. My Micomatic is a razor that I just cant' seem to love.

10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yea, you gotta try both. I get great close shaves from my DEs and SEs. Take up one of the offers to try the SE. It just may work for ya!

11. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

Although it's not strictly necessary, I take this opportunity to post a picture of some of my 1912s, just because it's in my photo folder, and I like them.:happy005

About the Micromatics, the warnings might be most applicable to open comb variety. The closed comb Bullet Tip and Clog-Pruf (sic) models are gentle enough, I think.

Attached Files:

12. sffone

sffone Member

I enjoy them all. In my rotation I have straights, DE, and SE. My favorite SE razors are the Gem Micromatics -- I have both the open comb and the closed comb versions and enjoy them both. In fact, I'm always on the lookout for nice Micromatics to add to my collection. Maybe because I also shave with straights, I don't find the Micromatics particularly harsh.

13. ztirf1953

ztirf1953 Active Member

I appreciate all the comments so far regarding my initial question. I did send a PM to Possum and want to take him up on his offer. As with double edge, I'm not a fan of open combs. They don't seem to work that well with me. I do want to try a closed Gem!
    :whacky011:whacky011

14. simon1

simon1 New Member

Let us know how it goes!

If you like it you really should try a 1912. Mine has the handle style of the one on the left in the pictures of Slivovitz's razors.

15. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I can't decide. I enjoy both. I have too many of both. What can I say... They both can give great shaves.

16. jmsodpc

jmsodpc Well-Known Member

i have used an above the tie kronos R1 de razor for the past 5 years....loved it. but then the SE razor had my interest....i bought a modern (ikon Mr SE) and a vintage Gem open comb micromatic (from what i read this is THE one to try)....i like all 3 and use them all every month pretty equally.

but recently i have been searching ebay and saw a whole lot of vintage SE razors....am i missing out by just trying and liking the open comb micromatic?

17. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

*activate enabler mode*

Yes, you are missing out. You MUST try all of them!!!

Seriously, if you have the available finances, and like to collect and experiment, try what you can find. If you don't like a certain razor, PIF or sell it.

clint64 and Herm2502 like this.
  18. targa88

targa88 Well-Known Member

All about personal preference and YMMV...
    That being said there are a number of modern SE that have been produced. Pricing premiums are considerable compared to the majority of vintage SEs.
    As with all SE/DE/Injectors there are a variety of mild to aggressive iterations.
    I have yet to find a modern SE that beats the vintage variety that I use.
    I am remain constantly in awe of the design of the micromatics (more sophisticated than the TTO DEs) - what lead to their marketing demise....
    There are all kinds of theories about blade rigidity = particularly as it applies to SEs/injectors vs DEs.
    Don't discount it - in the end I encourage you to try for yourself.
    I have disposed of all of my DEs (except one) in favour of SEs/injectors = which provide the closest, longest lasting BBS for me.

twhite, Zykris and Jim99 like this.
  19. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Won't know until you try it! I've found I favor SE than DE. But that's just me.

twhite likes this.
  20. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I wasn't a fan of other SE razors. If you like the OCMM, give the clog pruf a try. It is a nice razor. Also, the Bullet Tip is more mild but still seems to get the job done.

Zykris likes this.