Second Shave question.

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by FrankNJ62, Feb 25, 2014.

1. FrankNJ62

FrankNJ62 Member

I just completed my second wet shave and I have a question regarding how to maintain the proper angle on the off-hand side of the face. I found it difficult to maintain the angle especially on the XTG stroke and ATG stoke. Any suggestions I am all ears.

2. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

It takes a little practice. I usually hold the razor like I'm holding a spoon for the other side of my face on both the XTG and ATG passes. It seems to help me get that handle a little farther away from my face and get the blade angle right. With a little time and practice, you'll get there.

Bristle Me likes this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

One of two choices, but both are going to require practice:
    1 - Just keep using your dominate hand and learn
    B - Swap hands and learn

I know many folks will say to learn how to swap hands, especially when it comes to using a str8 razor. All I've ever used and continue to use is my dominate (right) hand for all my shaving - DE, SE and str8s.

Since everyone's face is different, trying to tell you a specific angle is impossible. Only you can figure out what angle is going to work for you - trial and error.

Like Brian said, time and practice. Just hang in there! :)

4. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

I learned to use both hands. It was weird at first, but now I get a better result on my non-dominant side than I do on my dominant side. It just takes time and patience.

5. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition,

6. figment714

figment714 Well-Known Member

I swap hands. It took me about two weeks to get comfortable

7. Robzilla

Robzilla Well-Known Member

If you keep using your dominant hand, try switching up your grip for the offside of your face. The way I hold my razor changes constantly as I shave, depending on where on my face I am.

8. offroad64

offroad64 a shoulder to cry on

That's your problem you need to use your hands not ears:happy097:
    :signs011:

CyanideMetal likes this.
  9. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

^ yep

10. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I think you should at least try switching hands. If you are not feeling confident about this, do a "practice run" by soaping up & pretend-shaving without a blade.

Bristle Me likes this.
  11. The_Dude_Abides

The_Dude_Abides Active Member

I always use my dominant hand. Go lefties!

Seriously though, this is a skill that needs to be practiced to improved upon. Pay attention to what you're doing, go slow, and it will simply become second nature (kind of like learning to ride an bike or drive a car). Patience is key.

12. Edsland

Edsland Active Member

I go with my dominate hand for both side, but when I'm doing my left side right handed I angle the shaver in my hand. That way when I go wtg or atg I can see the head of the razor. I still go straight up or down but the head of the shaver is cocked enought so I can see where it's at. It's worked for 30 years, what ever you go it will become second nature.