Secrets for Williams?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PLAla, May 11, 2016.

1. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Seems like Williams is being used a bit more on the various threads (30-day, SOTD, etc) this month. I know there are some methods and thoughts to get Williams to lather well and to work quite well for a shave.

I've always had lather that dissipates when using Williams. It seems to lather up easy and voluminously but then vanishes once applied. Very frustrating.

Some of you are having success with it. What are the secrets? I think @DDuckyMark is basically soaking the Williams puck until it turns to cream. If you can successfully lather it and have it not dissipate then please share your methods!

I can get Williams for $1 a puck at a local Fred's Discount Pharmacy. It would be nice to use something that is so inexpensive from time to time!

2. White731

White731 Well-Known Member

I always had the best experience with it when I grated it and packed it into a bowl. For me it lathered so much better.

3. Mr. Freeze93

Mr. Freeze93 Prefers the baby blue dress

I combine a strange method of submerging it almost fully (Up to almost the top of the puck) and load it like it just slapped my Mama. Load for about 2 minutes or so (the first 30 seconds to a minute will be a sloppy mess but keep beating that puck like you hate it) and around the 1 minute 30 second to 2 minute mark it turns into a rich creamy lather that doesn't dissipate. YMMV but this is how I get success from Williams. Good luck.

4. realtore!!!

realtore!!! Active Member

I've never had to much of a hard time with it. A) I always use a badger with it, b) I also let it soak with the hottest water my tap will allow before I hop in the shower and don't empty till I'm ready to shave, and c) I lather it up vigorously before I face lather. Never have any issues with it using that method and I love the stuff.

5. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

Yep soak it till its a soft croap. Its faster if you grate it but I didn't. Load it like you hate it with a dryer than normal brush then add your water to the lather slowly. Too much water too fast makes it collapse. At least thats what works for me. I've been using it since I was 14.

opsimath, old-school shaver and PLAla like this.
  6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I rub my Williams puck on the linen part of my strop to smooth it out. (The strop, not the soap).

Only use I've ever found for Williams. I detest the scent, so I've never used it more than a handful of times since I started wet shaving.

7. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

My best experience with Williams was when I gave up on it and threw it in the trashcan. I find there are so many soaps that lather better, smell better, are more moisturizing and provide a better shaving experience. I tried, I really tried (sounds like the lyrics to a country song) but it wasn't worth it. Of course, YMMV.

brit, youngunn, BamaT and 4 others like this.
  8. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Here's the secret.....................................................buy a puck of Vintage Williams and have one of the BEST shaves of your life.

brit, LevelupShaves, youngunn and 5 others like this.
  9. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

I soak it in warm water while I shower in a Green Marvy mug along with a brush. Drain water and lather. Pretty slick shave.

opsimath, PLAla and old-school shaver like this.
  10. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Like others here, I feel the secret is not using a boatload of water. Doing that will indeed give you a light, airy lather that goes away quickly.

Now I have to clarify that I mostly use synthetic brushes and have found that these brushes will make a great lather easier than a boar or badger. And I hydrate the puck overnight before trying to use a new puck of wonderful Williams.

When it's time to shave, I soak it with some hot tap water while I do my other preps. When ready to lather, I dump off the water and grab my synthetic brush of the day. Dab the tips of the brush in the hot tap water then shake vigorously. I'm not sure that does any good or not, just something I do.

I then to proceed to lather on the puck for about 30-40 seconds and then do face lathering. In no time at all it seems, I have a wonderful creamy long lasting lather that works like a champ.

And that's how it's done at my house.

PLAla and old-school shaver like this.
  11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

With so many good soaps out there that lather easily, work great, and smell fantastic, I refuse to use a soap that you have to treat with special techniques, disappears for no reason, and smells like skeeter-be-gone.

Toss the Williams.

brit, youngunn, feeltheburn and 3 others like this.
  12. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I have a couple of pucks collecting dust under my bathroom sink. I gave up on it.

PLAla likes this.
  13. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

I just tried Williams for the first time yesterday. I find the scent reminds me of Murphy's Oil Soap; which, I don't mind, but make me chuckle for some reason. I had a little trouble with creating a good lather at first, but I felt I got the hang of it after the first pass. There may be something in Williams that doesn't agree with my face. I was left with burny, itchy, redface and it didn't calm down until later in the evening. But, it might have also been the blade that was past its useful life.

PLAla likes this.
  14. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I grated mine and then melted some Van Der Hagen glycerine soap and poured it over that and then I had a decent soap. Probably should try Williams again since its been over 2 years and I have lathered many different soaps since. Plus its closing in Mosquito season.

brit, opsimath, BamaT and 3 others like this.
  15. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

Aw, man! That's it! Citronella. I new that I recognized that scent. Still makes me chuckle. Does it really work for mosquitos? It's cheap enough to burn as a candle. Maybe grate some, melt it and mix it with mineral oil, then pour it over a wick. Now I know what to do with all of that extra Williams Mug Soap.

Troy M and PLAla like this.
  16. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

It's quite interesting to hear everyone's take on Williams! I'm going to take some of these tips and give it another try one day soon. Keep 'em coming! I don't need to buy any soaps any time soon so it might be a while before I get some more Williams.

old-school shaver and Robyflexx like this.
  17. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I just couldn't bring myself to ruining a good puck of VDH.

18. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

There are quite a few tricks that seem to help. Number one for me was always loading longer...WAY LONGER. It dissipates because there's too much water and not enough soap in the mix. Some of the other things that could help.
    -Soak the puck overnight
    -Grate it (and add a few drops of water as you pack down each layer).
    -Marco's method. Like someone already said, if you start with a sopping wet brush, the lather will obviously start out watery, bubbly, and airy, but if you just keep loading long enough, it does get nice and thick and creamy eventually.
    -Bloom the puck, then load with nearly dry brush.

19. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Having a well-hydrated puck helps as well as keeping it in a closed container to reduce drying out. I have a feeling that the worst thing you can do is to leave a puck in an open mug and then just assume you can pick it up when you please as part of a rotation. At least, not without some process of rehydration like blooming.

I also think it does better with a stiffer brush (e.g., boar) and loading to a dry-ish brush.

Personally, I think it's worth the time to learn to lather Williams well. It is probably the best $1.50 you can invest to develop lathering technique. Unfortunately, that low cost makes it easy to discount as being a bad or difficult soap when, in fact, it shares much of its quirkiness with more expensive and highly regarded soaps.

20. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I don't think its any harder to lather than MWF or Arko. Mine tub is old enough to not smell anymore. Its just a light soap smell after so long in the cabinet.

Mike Brown and BamaT like this.