SEptember 2016 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Aug 31, 2016.

?

What will you be using as part of SEptember?

Poll closed Sep 30, 2016.
  1. Injectors

15 vote(s)
    48.4%
  2. Gems

13 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. DE but with an old and cheap A/S

6 vote(s)
    19.4%
  4. Straights with or without the cheapo A/S

9 vote(s)
    29.0%
  5. A glass of milk for the Snickerdoodles

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  6. A glass of an el cheapo A/S for dipping Snickerdoodles

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  7. Just the Snickerdoodles please, and keep 'em coming

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  8. Various Modern SE and Injector razors

6 vote(s)
    19.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Congrats! :bounce017: Remember there is always something you can focus on. Even if its a no-focus focus!:)

2. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Thanks, but I don't need the cookies that badly. :)

Seriously, I don't think my discipline is there enough to consider an SR. Not to mention what the familial reactions would be...

3. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Congrats on finishing your first 30 day! I would encourage you to keep participating and working on new bits of your technique. Some people focus on blades, some on brushes, some on soaps. Focus threads will not only improve your skills, but help you find new rabbit holes to go down. (SE, Shavettes, Straight Razors, Grain Alcohol as aftershave, creative things to attach razor blades to, etc.) Your next part of the initiation is to either instigate or participate in some shenanigans.

Keithmax, clint64, ob1page and 3 others like this.
  4. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

We also said that. It's OK. You'll be over soon enough, in due time.

Keithmax, clint64, ob1page and 2 others like this.
  5. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Razor: AlumiGoose w/Hempel Ti
    Blade: Feather Professional (5)
    Brush: Mokume-Gane Carbon and Red Copper 3 Band
    Soap: Route 66 High Mountain Mint
    Aftershave: Fine Platinum
    This is a great razor and the added touch of the Hempel Ti handle just makes it better. An outstanding 3 pass near BBS shave. Fine Platinum is another ne of my favorite aftershaves. Have a great weekend!
    23 09 16b.jpg

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
    Salty Belle, RyX, mrchick and 7 others like this.
  6. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

Friday Shave
    [​IMG]
    Brush- AOS Fine Badger
    Razor- PAL Adjustable / Schick E3
    Blade- Chinese Schick
    Soap- WSP Blackbeard
    Post Care- Crystal Alum
    Thayers Witch Hazel
    WSP Blackbeard with menthol

Another day of injector head to head shaves and they're not making it easy on me to decide a winner. I grabbed my WSP Blackbeard; great lather, scent and protection. I used the PAL on my left side today and the Schick on the right. Three passes and again I was dolphin smooth. Zero feedback from the alum. The splash of WSP Blackbeard felt great with no sting. I couldn't call a winner this morning. It's now been 9 hours and a winner has been decided. The Schick is a great shave; nice feedback, maneuverable and it shaves close. The PAL has better feel in my opinion, it's not as maneuverable but it shaves closer. The PAL wins the injector head to head competition. It now goes up against my Ever-Ready 1914 in a multi round head to head competition to determine my best razor. Have a great day folks!
    [​IMG]

RyX, mrchick, Keithmax and 8 others like this.
  7. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

The heavyweight bout!

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

clint64, Drygulch, Norcalnewb and 2 others like this.
  8. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Thirty Days Hath SEptember!

[​IMG]

Injectors are the best safety razors. Yup.

Sitting out smoking pipes with the dogs. Other than that...all is quiet in Colorado.

Have a great evening!

Drygulch, clint64, Norcalnewb and 8 others like this.
  9. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Very good setup and picture Colorado. :)

10. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

CJB today. I had a 3 day growth. Route 66 soap and Florida water finish. 2 pass skipping the mustache have me a dfs.

11. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Back on focus, Raserpur symmetrical grind kamisori

This razor is a pleasure to manoeuvre and shave with. Four pass shave and one small weeper but the blood stopped before I even finished the shave. Four passes and the alum test gave feedback and just missed BBS.

Irritation A Closeness A- Smoothness A Sharpness A

ID - 1.jpg

12. RyX

RyX DoH!

SEptember Focus; Ommm

Proraso Sensitive & Omega #98
    Schick Golden 500 & Chick blade
    Alum & BSA Fresh Cool Breeze AS

SOTD 09232016.gif
    Got my shave in earlier in the day. Just now recalled I hadn't posted. I grabbed up the Proraso White because it was on top. Set the big Pro boar in the suribachi bowl to moisten while I selected today's razor. Shook the excess water out of the brush, loaded soap, and whipped up the best lather I've ever gotten from this soap. I wish I'd been paying attention to what I did so I could repeat it. Shave was pleasant, uneventful, efficient; CCS+. No complaints from the alum, but the AS got my attention. The down side of a Zen shave is not being overly conscience of the process.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  13. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Beautiful photograph Brian. Excellent looking products also. Have a good weekend. :happy088:

14. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

:signs011: I have found that a non focus during a focus month helped me focus on thing I hadn't focused on in a pervious focuses. :)

15. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

IMG_4116.JPG

SEptember 24 SOTD:

Stirling Synthetic Brush
    L'Occitane Cade SC
    Gem Damaskeene
    Stirling Unscented PSB
    Barbasol Pacific Rush AS

The Gem Damaskeene is just a great razor. It is a toss up for me between this and the 1914. I don't think you could go wrong with either. I added a little Barbasol Pacific Rush this morning, which apparently my wife really enjoys. I got several "You smell good" comments from her before I left. She finally told me it is her favorite AS scent. That's great, as it is my cheapest scent. I think I paid $1.50 at the dollar store for it. I hope everyone has a great day!

16. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Thank you. Have a wonderful weekend!

17. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Cold water ice-cubes 3.jpg
    SOTD September 24, 2016

Blade
    : Chinese Schick
    Razor: Schick G1 injector
    Brush: Artisan badger
    Lather: Speick shave cream
    Scuttle: Boise MudWorks custom
    Post: Witch hazel splash, Speick after shave, Nivea sensitive balm
    WTG, XTG

Terrific shave! It had been a while since using Speick cream. The scent is really nice and the post shave feel is great, too. I poured ice water into my scuttle and used ice water to rinse my face at the beginning, between passes, and the final rinse. Ice water is so refreshing! My face feels good after using cold water and even better with iced water.

I did not mention in my SOTD post that I actually started this shave with the new-to-me Valet Autostrop razor with modified GEM blade. Only three or four strokes and I could tell it wouldn't work for me. It tugged and felt very uncomfortable. I put it down and switched to the G1 with much, much better results and comfort. Not sure about the Autostrop. I may just have to pass it on. It doesn't seem to be a razor I want to continue fiddling with.

Have a great weekend!

SOTD 9-24-16.JPG

Drygulch, RyX, ob1page and 7 others like this.
  18. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

September 24, 2016
    AlumiGoose V1 with Triad SS
    Feather Pro (6)
    Brother’s Bristles with Sunrise Synthetic
    Wickham 1912 Parma Violet
    Witch Hazel

[​IMG]

Another great shave today. I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to give 1912 shave soap that my friend purchased. The soap was very easy to lather with good post shave feel. Overall the performance was not quite up to the level of my favorites. The scent is not my cup of tea but that is a YMMV. Even though I had the time, I just went with 3 passes and done with no touch ups. The results didn't come up to the level I consistently get during the week. I hope everyone has a great Saturday.

Drygulch, RyX, ob1page and 8 others like this.
  19. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Great looking picture today Clint. I like the looks of that brush also. Is the brush from AP Shave Co.? I know the Sunrise Synthetic is a great knot amigo.

Bama Samurai, clint64 and Norcalnewb like this.
  20. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Doug. No I got this brush handle from our own Paul @Tdmsu . I have been very happy with the handle. Over the years, I have used several different knots in the handle.

Drygulch, RyX, twhite and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.