Shark?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Mitch, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Mitch

Mitch Active Member

I'm continuing down a long road of blade experimentation and have learned some great stuff. I think that I have identified that I do better with more aggressive blades. I'm not particularly interested in getting into Feather due to the price tag. I read that Sharks are pretty aggressive blades though... is that true? Anybody out there into Shark's that could confirm or deny? Thanks friends.

awake2shave likes this.
  2. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I wouldn't call them aggressive blades really, but they were sharp and comfortable when I used them. Had longer staying power for me as well when compared to feathers.

awake2shave likes this.
  3. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I consider them middle of the road on sharpness.

I used a lot (over 100) of the Shark Super Chromes when I first started, but it has been a while since I used one.

I'll have to revisit them to see if I remember correctly.

4. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

Meh, Shark blades are okay, IMHO. They get the job done, but can't seem to get more than three shaves out of them. IMO, Sharks belong in the ocean.

awake2shave likes this.
  5. Paulie

Paulie Active Member

I have used Shark, Shark Super Chrome and have had very good results with them. I wouldn't call them aggressive either. They are a very good blade, at a very reasonable price!

awake2shave likes this.
  6. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I have gotten fairly good results with them too. Smooth feel and no irritation. I can't say much about durability (at least nothing that would help the guys) since there is no comparing leg shaving to face shaving.

awake2shave likes this.
  7. mark_s

mark_s Active Member

In my somewhat limited experience so far, I find that on my face, every blade I've tried works well except for Derby. The Shark blades seem to be fine, as do the Astra, Super-Max, Gillette 7 O'Clock, etc. I say "etc", because I'm changing blades after every (2 or 3 pass) shave. With the exception of a few brands, blades are inexpensive. And, If I don't change blades with every shave, I lose track of how many shaves each razor has on it. With a new blade per shave, I don't experience any tugging, or other adverse effects, and in a blind study, I'm pretty sure I'd have no idea what blade I was using. The exception being Derby, which are for me, like shaving with a broken bottle (almost).

awake2shave likes this.
  8. Mitch

Mitch Active Member

Okay. Maybe I should have asked this in a different way. So what I've learned thus far from experimenting with blades is that aggressive blades seem to work better for me than mild blades. So I'm looking for some blade brands to try that are in the "aggressive" or sharp category... and don't say Feather. What are the sharper edged blades you have tried? I don't really need to know if you liked them or not since that changes from person to person. I need to know what to try next? Did I mention... don't say Feather? :p

awake2shave likes this.
  9. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I would check out KAI (not cheap if you can find them), Gillette 7OC Blacks Blues and Yellows, Astra SP, and Russian Perma-Sharps. There are others, but this is what I can think of off the top of my head.

awake2shave likes this.
  10. Mitch

Mitch Active Member

Thanks! I've heard that Astra's are a good sharp blade. I'll seek these out.

awake2shave likes this.
  11. awake2shave

awake2shave Crazy Sharp Melon Baller

I have found the Astra blues to be nice and sharp and still cost effective, that being said im not nearly as experianced as some that being said I have a very wirey dense beard and I seam to avg 4 shaves out of an astra blade thats just my opinion, there is also iridiums but there out of production so good luck finding them at a good price

12. Mitch

Mitch Active Member

Good to know. Yeah cost is a factor for me, I try to be a thrify shaver which is why I'm straying away from Feather. I don't down that they represent the sharpest, most aggressive blade but I'm just not going to pay that much for my blades. Not when I have tried other blades that work just fine for a fraction of the price.

awake2shave likes this.
  13. thinklikeh20

thinklikeh20 Active Member

I like sharks a bunch, they are one of the sharper ones for me. And at their price, you can't really afford not to buy a 100 pack. Their longevity is questionable but they consistently provide an irritation free shave. Ive tried feathers, and they didn't work well for me. The sharks go ATG with direction and purpose while every feather I have tried skips around like a kid playing hopscotch.

awake2shave likes this.
  14. Latherman87

Latherman87 Well-Known Member

Astras are no go's for me......hate those things with a passion but good luck to you . Sharks are ok imo...they tug on my whiskers a bit and I dont care for that lol.....Gillette 7'O'Clock Blues are super good for me though...I have course hair so I too need a pretty sharp blade....7 O'Clock Blues...Feathers and Voskhods are my top choices no matter what. Gillette Super Thins are super good too...I could suggest some of those. Crown blades are good as well you should check some of those out as well.

15. awake2shave

awake2shave Crazy Sharp Melon Baller

I havent found my perfect blade yet , can't commit to 100 blades yet so I get what your goin threw Mitch
    I have a 14 kinds of 5-10 packs hoping that as I go threw them I will find one that works as well as the feathers or merkur blades.

ATM astras are at the top of my list for that role, this may change as I go threw them.

I have hurd good things about perma sharp and I will try them tonight.

Mitch I could send you some of my failed brand blades if you wanna give them a go , Like I said there all small in packs so it will be only 5 blades or so but if u want them there yours just pm me your inf0.

16. Everett

Everett Well-Known Member

Funny, I used my first Shark Super Stainless this morning, and got a more than stellar shave. Absolutely no irritation, and dang near BBS to boot. Easily the best shave I've had in a while due to the lack of any irritation whatsoever. I used the Super Chromes in the past and loved em, so now I'm doing a side by side with the Stainless.

Up until now, my search for blades (and I've tried lots) was looking for the sharpest, smoothest, longest lasting blade, but now I've been thinking, if I can get blades for a quarter of the price, that last half as long, I'll be happier with a new blade more often, as opposed to trying to stretch a blade because I gotta get my monies worth from it.

$0.02 :p

17. thinklikeh20

thinklikeh20 Active Member

I couldn't agree more. As long as the cheaper blades stay consistent, you can have that "new blade feeling" twice as often!

18. Scottyb06

Scottyb06 New Member

I have a 100 pack of Sharks arriving soon (don't remember if they are stainless or chrome). From what I read, they seem to offer a great shave at a great price. I've only tried Merkur and Feather blades thus far. I prefer the Merkur because the Feathers just seem too sharp for me. However, I have also noticed that I get a much more comfortable shave with Taylor of Old Bond Street cream (and pre-shave oil) or Proraso Green (with pre-shave lotion) vs. The Art of Shaving. This weekend I'm going to use a Feather with the Taylor combination and see how it goes. I tend to swap out blades after two shaves and the cost isn't really a factor for me. $0.30 every two days for a Feather blade is nothing!