shave with Williams Mug shave soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by wchnu, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I had my shave with Williams today. @wchnu will be happy to know that I did not molest it.

Last edited: May 28, 2017
    Bama Samurai likes this.
  2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Good man..

Proceed along the path!!!

Bama Samurai and LevelupShaves like this.
  3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
  4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Bama Samurai likes this.
  5. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I picked up a vintage puck of Williams the other day and decided to give it a run this morning.

I already had one vintage puck but haven't used it mostly because I only had one (maybe I figured it was worth more "untouched") and it's a bicentennial puck and I don't know if those are extra special or not.

Anyhow, the puck I picked up the other day is labeled Cranford NJ with no ingredient list so I knew that it was of the vintage I wanted to try.

I have hard water so there are several soaps that either don't work for me or underperform (ie. Trumpers, T&H, Penhaligons, etc.) so I either don't use them or I opt for the same brand but use their creams.

After reading several posts regards "how-to's", I put the puck in an Old Spice mug and did my usual. I filled the sink with hot water (floating the mug) and put one of my stiff boar brushes in the water to soak along with a small bottle of pre-shave oil. Then, following advice from other posts, I added just enough water to the mug to cover the soap and left it while I took my shower.

End of story; very easy to produce a very nice creamy lather that gave a very nice shave. The only thing I didn't do that's part of my normal routine is add a few drops of glycerin to the puck for extra slickness (which I'll probably do next time; not because it's particularly necessary, but because its simply part of my ritual).

Ps. absolutely no scent so I might consider adding some "smelly" to it.

My hat is off to vintage Williams.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  6. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

31 May 2017
    Vintage Williams Wednesday!

[​IMG]

MR41, Linuxguile, AGHisBBS and 3 others like this.
  7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I will have my Williams shave before work. WOOOOO not vintage though, So did the water there treat it?

PLAla and Bama Samurai like this.
  8. Bama Samurai

Oh man! It's 08:15, just finished up. The water did great. Lather was picture perfect. AV matched up perfect! Mrs Samurai is asleep, I am smoking a pipe on the streets of Westminster!

AGHisBBS, Primotenore and PLAla like this.
  9. Bama Samurai

crackstar, Primotenore and wchnu like this.
  10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

ok I am a bit jealous.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  11. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Williams's Wednesday not such a great shave not sure what I did wrong here but I'm definitely feeling it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MR41, Jim99, crackstar and 3 others like this.
  12. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Williams Wednesday. Went full tilt with the Aqua Velva. Nice shave!

SOTD 5-31-17.JPG

MR41, Primotenore, Jim99 and 3 others like this.
  13. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

That's what they want you to do anyway,isn't it......finish with Aqua Velva. I'm looking forward to that combination this summer.

Jim99, Bama Samurai and PLAla like this.
  14. Bama Samurai

You need to face lather it! That looks like way too much water to me.

wchnu and PLAla like this.
  15. LevelupShaves

You would be correct I went into a face lathering with the brush dryer on the second pass not sure if the damage was already done on pass on or not. Today reminded me how much Alum stung it's been awhile since I've really felt any burn from the Alum. It was the middle of my neck and upper lip that really got it today.

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

16. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

That's generally how my Williams lather looks, and I never bowl-lather any soap!

PLAla likes this.
  17. LevelupShaves

I generally don't either the funny thing is I nailed the lather the first time I shaved with Williams so much so that I didn't understand how it caused so many problems.

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

PLAla likes this.
  18. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Every body has a bad day. I blow it up at times too. One of my videos has some bad williams in it. Had to relather a few times. Do not let it get to you. You know you can do it because you have. Lot more then a lot of guys can say!!!

Roderick likes this.
  19. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I fired off a signature shave for today.
    1912 Gem Jr.
    PAL
    VDH boar
    Williams Mug Shave Soap
    WH
    Aqua Velva AS

I am very happy to see a lot of AV love too. Almost brings a tear to my eye....almost.

@Paul Turner get crackin' it is Summer!

20. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Like GAWD intended!