Shaving in the Shower

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by snowbird72, Nov 27, 2010.

1. snowbird72

snowbird72 New Member

I have been shaving in the shower almost as long as I have been shaving. When I started using a DE razor several weeks ago I was reluctant to shave in the shower because I was afraid of slipping and seriously hurting myself. I have started to refine my technique and tried shower shaving this week with mixed results. My bathroom doesn't stay all that warm after the shower so i find my face tends to cool down as soon as I step out. I find I am able to better concentrate out of the shower but get a better shave in the shower (albeit I haven't massacred myself yet). I use a fogless mirror but it isn't always that clear.

Just wondering if others have any preference for shower shaving and why? As well, if you could provide any tips when shaving in the shower, it would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

2. Slowhand

Slowhand Member

I shaved in the shower pre-wetshaving conversion, when it was conditioner and a Mach3. Now, it's just easier for me out of the shower. It's too cumbersome to find a place to set the bowl/brush, keeping the mirror clear, rinsing razor without causing water to splash on my lather, etc. It can be done, obviously, but it's not worth it to me.

What I did was purchase a heater for the bathroom in the colder months. Just turn it on before you get in shower, and your spot at the sink is nice and cozy. :happy108

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I've always shaved at the sink. Too much wasted water (my opinion) to shave in the shower.

4. DaveNJ74

DaveNJ74 Member

I started to shave in the shower at the beginning of this year when I started the traditional wet shave. I used to go between shaving in the sink with canned goo and el cheapo razors or shave with an electric razor which irritated my skin.
    Shaving in the shower also will help keep your sink and sink area clean and free of shaving scum....:sick007

5. snowbird72

snowbird72 New Member

Generally I agree with you on this but in my case I have an adjustable showerhead whereby I turn down the volume of water that comes out. I just try to find the balance between keeping the shower warm and not using too much water. Still too much wasted but it one of those little enjoyments I have and a great way to start my day. Although if I could make it work better at the sink then I would certainly spend more time there.

That's a great idea. I have a spare sitting around here somewhere. I'll have to give it a try.

6. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Active Member

I've shaved in the shower all of my shaving life. For me it just feels so much better to do it all at once, and so much more convenient. Even using soap and a brush it's more convenient, once you establish a routine. I always fill my mug with steaming hot water as soon as I get in, then let my brush soak while I wash my body and hair. Then I dump the water from the mug, whip up my lather (with cream--with my soaps and sticks I face lather), turn the water against the wall and shave with my fogless mirror in the midst of all that toasty steam. I love it.

7. modelyacht

modelyacht Member

Been shaving in the shower for over ten years.
    Been in this house for about eight years.

Decided to shave post-shower the other day (man, I must waste a lot of hot water) and was surprised on two counts.
    1. Got a very close shave, much closer than normal.
    2. My sink is WAY too small. The faucet blocks half the sink, and I made a huge mess rinsing after shaving.

8. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

Don't wanna sound preachy, I don't know how much water is wasted when shaving in the shower but I think water conservation is very important. I get nice shaves at the sink.

9. fratermus

fratermus New Member

Been shaving in the shower for about 10yrs (cartridge); much more comfortable for me and easy to clean up. My showerhead has a sliding shutoff thingy; no need to turn the water off at the handles during the shave. Works great.

10. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

Back when shaving was drudgery, I too shaved in the shower. But since the Great Awakening I've turned into a sink shaver. I can't hear the tunes in the shower. Wet hands and a straight razor just sounds like a really bad idea. If I dropped one of those I could trim hide off an area where I'd really prefer to keep everything I have.:D

11. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

another shower-shaver in the pre-DE days here.
    I tried it for awhile when I first started DE shaving. Then a couple of weeks later I tried it at the sink, which I'd done before when shaving with cartridges but hated, but my wife's insistence of needing to shower while I shaved put me at the sink. To that point, it was the BEST DE shave I'd had. Surprised was I. I hated shaving at the sink, in the shower was always far superior - the constant heat, ease of face rinsing, and no cleanup. Sure, visibility was an issue, even with a fogless mirror, but after a while I learned that a layer of canned shave goo would clear it right back up.
    But this new revelation....how can it be?
    I have some theories...a lightweight, large plastic razor handle is a bit easier to grip than a (typically) smaller, heavier metal DE when the hands are that wet.
    The audibles of shaving are not obscured by the sound of rushing water (of which, way too much is used).
    The light! And clarity! My gosh, it's so dark for shaving in the shower

But my first, and most convincing to me, revelation was, my lather was tremendously better at the sink. Doing nothing different, using all the same equipment and techniques I had in the shower. I'm guessing the steam and humidity of the shower, while great for my face in the process, was killing my lather quality.

And ever since, I've dreaded shaving in the shower

12. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I've never tried to shave in the shower, cartridge or otherwise. DE shaving there would seem like a major PITA if you ask me.

13. Sparafucile

Sparafucile Member

I have a tough, wiry beard, and need to soften it as much as possible - I also shave my head. I have shaved in the shower for over 30 years! At the sink, it takes forever to get my beard soft; I wash my head first, then rub in Proraso pre, leaving it on while I wash my body, then I lather and shave...

I have a Moen pulsing shower-head with a "water-saver" feature that cuts the shower to a drizzle.

14. Jeremysilverado

Jeremysilverado New Member

My water is not hot after the shower also. I'll boil a bowl of water on the microwave before showering and I find it stay plenty hot through the shower and shave. I shave after the shower with hot water and love it

15. paydepst

paydepst Member

I still occasionally shave in the shower post wetshaving conversion although whilst I was learning and adjusting to the differences in technique I was reluctant to do so.