Shaving Revelation

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Herm2502, Jul 5, 2014.

1. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

As a relatively new DE shaver (3 mos) I'm still learning technique and other things about my new found hobby. I call it a hobby, because just plain shaving isn't this much fun. Anyway, I've always been afraid to try a more aggressive razor or a higher setting on any of my adjustables. I usually leave it on 3 or maybe a 4 if I've had ALOT of coffee first, but no more. Well, yesterday, I grabbed my Slim and, without my glasses and without a morning cup of coffee for focus, I looked at it and thought it was set on 3. With a brand new blade I started shaving. Right away I heard a bit more feedback than normal but, since I hadn't shaved in 2 days, I thought it was just my beard being a bit longer. The first WTG pass went really well, I was surprised how well. I did a second pass XTG, like usual and continued to be surprised. Now I figured it was because it was a brand new blade. Then I looked closely at the razor because I usually back off to a lower setting for the final ATG pass. It was on 7! Don't ask me how, but it was on 7! My brain raced, I scratched my head in confusion, looked at the number again and then I had a Shaving Revelation. The heavens parted, the room got brighter, somewhere I could hear a choir singing, and my father's ghost appeared and slapped me in the back of the head. I didn't have to be afraid of a more aggressive setting. I suddenly realized that all this time shaving on a mild setting was forcing me to be more aggressive in my technique. Because I had set it on such a mild setting (or used my Tech) it was not cutting the beard efficiently. I tended to find myself making a 4th or 5th "cleanup" pass to finish resulting in an "OK" shave, but a slightly irritated face. Using a more aggressive setting actually gave me a closer more comfortable shave. Suddenly the world was a better place, my face felt great, the birds were singing and outside my neighbors were standing in a circle singing "Kumbaya". OMG, I wonder what other mysteries await me? Dare I consider an OC razor? A slant? Who knows what the future holds?

:smiley respect::wave::happy068::happy036::happy096::rofl:

Chuck F, Tdmsu, RaZorBurn123 and 5 others like this.
  2. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

That's how I felt when I got my first OC. With a proper technique, you can shave with what you want. I'm looking forward to getting a slant.

Darkbulb likes this.
  3. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

4. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

ObiDon likes this.
  5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............