Shaving towels?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Rusty blade, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

When I first started DE shaving I invested in a stack of white face cloths and another stack of matching hand towels. I admit it is an extravagance, but I do enjoy a fresh face cloth and hand towel every morning. It just seems to be in keeping with the ambiance of a traditional wet shave. Every Sunday evening I do a small washing load of my shaving linens. Another part of the ritual.

How about the rest of you...do you have special towels for your morning shave?

brit, Spyder, Erik Redd and 7 others like this.
  2. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I have small white hand towels that I use to wipe lather off my straights and general clean up for only shaving.

3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Ack! I have an active stack of face rags that rotate between washing faces and mopping up the mess of wet shaving every day.

Wash face, hang rag to dry.
    Mop up shave water, every day.
    Use dried rags the next day to dry sink again.
    Rinse, and repeat.

4. Kizurra

Kizurra Well-Known Member

I always have a stack of plain white face cloths. Cold weather I either shave after shower or if evening shave without shower I use them as hot towels. Summer it's cold water and lots of menthol.

Spyder, Rusty blade and RyX like this.
  5. CliffDweller

CliffDweller Well-Known Member

I like the cut of your jib, sir. These are cheap to buy and acquire, ($13.95 for 24 on amzn). Yet somehow using a snow-white, comfortably-scruffy towel evokes feelings of vigor, luxury and cleanliness, as in a high-end spa or men's club. From time to time I'll even use a 2nd towel and that lends a bit of devil-may-care extravagance to the occasion.

6. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I use these for my morning routine. Inexpensive, and when they're unsuitable for facial duty, they're relegated to the garage.
    IMG_0280.JPG

7. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

Right now I just use old hand towels. I put up a special hook in the bathroom next to the sink to hang it. I use it to dry my hands and face during/after a shave and then for clean up. One and done, and then into the hamper. I'll use a separate one several times for drying the brush.

8. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Got a couple of wash cloths for hot/cold towel duty. One hand towel to keep the water splash under control. A second hand towel for fanning my face dry prior to moisturizer and after shave application.

9. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Yes I also like to use a fresh face cloth for my shave.

Spyder and Kizurra like this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

I picked up cotton kitchen towels from my local Tuesday Morning store. Several color / pattern / textures were available. First use is on my face, then I hang it to dry. Next day I grab a fresh one, and used yesterdays towel to clean up splashed water, lather, and to wipe down my equipment. They also appear as the background in many of my SOTD photos.
    SOTD 11142016.gif Fat Boy February 02132017.gif

twhite, Spyder, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  11. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I do this as well. I get a cheaper white hand towel from the local wally world that is about a dollar each. I do not actually have dedicated wash rags but I always use a fresh white one with the shave.

Kizurra and RyX like this.
  12. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

It never even occurred to me to have a washcloth and handtowel for wetting/drying my face for shaving separate and apart from the normal washcloth and handtowel I use for cleaning / drying my face. Perhaps I am insufficiently attuned to the proper rituals of luxury shaving? Or maybe I am just lazy about creating extra laundry for myself to do...

RyX, Keithmax, Herm2502 and 3 others like this.
  13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

A few extra hand towels is not that much more work. Keeping guest from grabbing a shaving towel can be a challenge though.

Kizurra and Douglas Carey like this.
  14. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I go all out and just use the same towel I used to dry myself from the shower I just finished.

RyX, Kizurra, Screwtape and 3 others like this.
  15. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

:happy097:

Kizurra and Screwtape like this.
  16. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

26 02 17c.jpg
    19 02 17.jpg
    IkeuchiStrOrgCottonBambooWashcloth.jpeg

I have ATG, Fendrihan towels and a Cotton Bamboo wash cloth.

Kizurra, Screwtape and Keithmax like this.
  17. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Well you are clean after a shower so technically the towel will be too. Are you careful not to use the same spot you used to dry the hoohoos at least?:cool:

twhite, Kizurra, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  18. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I'm with you.

Herm

Kizurra and Screwtape like this.
  19. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I like it. Let's not complicate the issue. Simple is best.

Herm

RyX, Kizurra and Screwtape like this.
  20. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I usually add a couple of towels to my IB order, most of the time they will take me over the $60 free shipping.

COMPNOR and Kizurra like this.