Shaving with a DE razor + canned foam/gel - is it possible?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by venom0706, Mar 15, 2014.

1. venom0706

venom0706 Guest

I am just curious whether you can get a decent shave, using a DE razor and a canned cream or gel, applied to your face not by brush but with your hands. Has anyone tried it? Would it work? Thank you.

2. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Sure you can. Lots of people did it for many years and still do. The propellants used in canned stuff can be drying to your skin and the ingredients may not be as good for your skin as what you find in a good soap or cream. There's also more waste from cans. But it can work.

3. venom0706

venom0706 Guest

I just shaved with my EJ DE89bl and a can of Gillette Series gel. I still can't believe how good it went. I washed my face and applied the gel to my face with my fingers. Did it 3 times for 3 passes and got excellent shave. I may be in the minority, but I think (for now) that this method, at least for me, is better and faster than lathering with a shaving brush.

4. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I won't do it like that unless it's an emergency. Then I'd probably use Barbasol, Noxzema, or Proraso foam. Gillette foam or gel just sucks IMO.

5. KLF

KLF Doctorin

The last time I had a canned goo in the house was 2 years ago.
    Sometimes when I'm in a real hurry I'll facelather with my trusted Mem Olive cream and the Omega 48 brush and use a Schick cartridge with 3 blades. It happens maybe 2-3 times a month. This is my small deviation from the traditional shaving ritual.

6. The_Dude_Abides

The_Dude_Abides Active Member

Sure, you can. I'm just not sure why you would? ;)

7. venom0706

venom0706 Guest

Because I can't learn how to do it properly. I don't have a good bowl or a shaving brush. Also, the time that the lathering and the whole shaving procedure needs...it is just too much. I have a question: If I buy a good shaving brush, how much time will it last? I bought a cheap Wilkinson Sword brush that has hard hairs and also few of them are already out of the whole bunch. And the problem is that it is only after 3 shaves or so.

8. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Omega or Semogue will last a very long time. You can find a brush for $10. I use a salsa bowl. I got 4 for under $5. Keep trying. The rewards are great!

The_Dude_Abides likes this.
  9. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

Barbasol & a Schick injector are what I remember seeing my father shave with most often. so I'm sure it works just fine. I've always enjoyed the process with a brush & mug, but I think he liked the brevity & convenience.

As for the cheap brush, they're notoriously hit or miss. I've personally had $5 Burma Shave brushes last me 10 years, with daily use. But others have pretty much just disintegrated as you describe.

With practice I think you'll find that it doesn't take but a minute or two to whip up a great lather, so stick with it if you're interested. But if time is your principle concern you may well be happier with another option.

10. venom0706

venom0706 Guest

11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I don't know about the brush, never owned one.
    And the bowl - It's a nice looking bowl and I'm sure it will do a fine job, but since you say you're on a budget, you wasted your money. Any small bowl or mug from the kitchen will work just fine. Oh, and the mug will last until the first time you drop it.