Shaving with a slant or any other that shaves close

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by tuxxdk, Jan 21, 2014.

1. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Hello

I need second opinions, please :)

Alright. Shaving with my Techs or the likes gives me an easy DFS that lasts a day on my face (I grow slow), the alum is not noticed and my skin looks fine. Feeling the skin ATG gives "slight" sandpaper so not totally close, but very much DFS. I actually love it because it's so easy.

With my slant however today I'm sitting here with my face, totally BBS besides one spot I must have missed in the touch-up. After the 3 passes I could feel that no more passes or I'll regret it. When I applied alum I could feel it - it was noticed, but not sting or unpleasant. I just felt it. Applied my balm no problem. Skin doesn't feel tight like after a bad shave. No nicks, no razor-burn, no nothing. Skin looks 99% fine, but I could see I had shaved -very very slight reddish, like if you've been out on a cold winter day. Not sore, just visible. It fainted after half an hour and I applied my face cream due to dry skin (winter here, nothing special).

Now, to cut a long story short, although that might be too late already:

Is that normal behavior when shaving with an aggressive, yet mild razor like a slant? Feeling the alum and the slight reddish hue is something that sorely reminds me of my early wet shaves and I instantly think of a bad shave. But all the bad elements are missing so it's not a bad shave. Actually today was closer than ever and no sting, razor-burn or any unpleasant.

Is that what's expected when going that close? If not, what can be done to avoid it?

On a foot note: I often see SOTD post where one had shaved with a few nicks and slight sting from the alum or AS and then calling it a great shave. That's a bad shave in my opinion. So I know everything is relative, which is why I ask. Because what I experience will in said persons shave have been a truly awesome shave (no nicks and very close) where I sit here and are kinda "meh" due to the aforementioned reasons. Not banging someones heads, it's just that I'm critical with the results but there's no reason for me to be over critical if what I experienced today is actually perfectly normal. Afterall, we are scraping a blade right on the skin to get that BBS (of which I btw didn't chase, it just happened).

Razor: Merkur 37C
    Blade: Astra SP, fresh installed.
    Lather: Speick grated soap.

2. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

Sounds like you had a bit of irritation, I would try a preshave oil next time.

3. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Same thing seems to happen to me Martin. And if I try to get that BBS shave for a few days in a row, the redness gets worse for me too. I can get an irritation free shave from a Merkur slant but if I work too hard at it or slip and apply a little pressure, I'll have some burn.

4. tuxxdk

This is my 4th. shave with the Slant, so it's relatively new to me. The first 3 shaves was in a row and it didn't get worse. I might suspect my pressure although I'd say I don't apply any. But maybe with a bit more practice it'll help.

I'll try and make me some pre-shave oil.

So I assume this is not normal behavior and it should feel the same as with the Techs? It's just that comparing with the SOTD's this shave should be rendered awesome, but I'm just not satisfied. So I was thinking maybe it's just me being too critical when shaving this close.

5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    My Merkur slant reminds me to have a light touch and shave respectfully. I'm getting the hang of it. I know what you mean.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  6. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Try a cold water shave. Cold water should eliminate any irritation and it's a quick and cheap way to find out. I'll say this, technique with a slant is much much more important than with a tech. Any variances will be noticed.

7. tuxxdk

I'll try the cold water also. Are we talking icy cold that hurts or just normal cold?

8. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I guess ideally you should not feel any tingling from the alum. If you do, it's telling you something wasn't exactly right. A Tech will let you get away with just a little pressure but the slant will not. Also, the Tech will force you to use a shallow blade angle. Try to get it too steep and the safety bar just lifts the blade away from your face. The slant doesn't do that either. It'll let you scrape away as much as you like. Another possibility is your blade is just a little rough. If you think you did your part but still have that touch of irritation, it could be time to try a different blade. The slant seems to highlight any roughness in a blade for me.

9. CyanideMetal

Just normal cold out of the faucet. Avoid hot for one shave and see if that makes a diff.

10. tuxxdk

First three shaves was with Vikings Sword.

I'll try the advices given tomorrow and pay extra attention to angle. Especially ATG.

Our cold water is icy cold at the moment. Hands hurt after face has been rinsed. I'll try it, maybe adjust the temperature to normal cold.

RaZorBurn123 and CyanideMetal like this.
  11. CyanideMetal

Even luke warm. Hot water brings blood close to the surface of the skin and a close shave causes the irritation. Since I started using cold water over a year ago, I haven't had even a hint of irritation. But that's me....

12. tuxxdk

It might be me also. Prep was a hot shower followed by hot water before, during and after the shave. Only when rinsing of the alum I used cold water. Defintely worth a try!

13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I have sensitive skin. If I mistreat it in any way, I know about it throughout the shave and particularly if I use either a high-alcohol content aftershave or alum block. I prefer using an alum block post-shave.
    I tend to use aggressive razors most mornings (Muhle r41, the Futur, straight razors), and have owned and used slants as well. The slants DO shave close — they're very efficient—so a light touch is recommended.

Martin, no matter how light a touch I use (or what type of blade), I will still occasionally get that post-shave 'sting' that the alum reveals. The 'sting' is irritation caused by the blade aggravating the skin, leaving it inflamed. It dissipates fairly quickly and does not last long. A good shea butter balm soothes the redness. I do still consider these shaves 'great'—and they only get better when I minimize the irritation. The 'sting' is also a good indicator to me of how good a job I did. I do better some mornings (no sting), while others, not so good...

Pre-shave, I have found a good pre shave oil rub does help minimize any potential irritation, particularly in those areas prone to redness (for me, my throat area) and tenderness.
    Slants are awesome razors. I regret selling mine. I do have a new slant arriving soon (Ikon) to try, courtesy of another TSD member.
    Good luck with the 37c! I hope you resolve the aeration issues.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  14. tuxxdk

Okay, I have more time now, sorry for being shortheaded before :)

That's what I love about the Techs - no sting (well, as long as I dont *beep* up that is). It's not that I can't stand the sting - it's more the association with it, that it reminds me of bad shaves in the past. I wasn't aware that the Slant wouldn't tell me if I went off-angle (besides bad shaves) - I'll try and pay attention to the angle, especially ATG where I always strugle - it's so much easier to control WTG and XTG. I can't see properly, hence the troubles. I'd like to say that my pressure is "perfect". I'm more inclined to go with the angle theory.

That seems to be my issue also with the Slant, like no matter what I do I feel the alum. But as here, the skin returns to normal after a short time. For instance now I'm petting my skin and feel the BBS - it's amazing. I just wish I could go there without feeling the alum. But I must also say that I might have to learn with it if that's my goal. It doesn't hurt and I think I'm the only one who can see the redness - SWMBO doesn't notice it. Maybe it's because I stand face to face with the mirror bathed in light :)

I think it'll be natural for the skin to say "hey you've come close - here and not an inch closer. I'll let it go this time".

I have the pre-shave oil to try and also the cold water. Different razor than the Tech's, different technique perhaps. If that helps a little or fails entirely I have a top tier blade I need to try before giving up - it could be that it's more blade dependent than my other razors. Like Brian mentioned, if the blade is a bit rough, the Slant reveals it.

I'm inclined to use this Slant for 30 days straight. It can only get better and I still need to remind myself that my skin doesn't hurt, doesn't irritate all day and it's not visible or feel-able (is that even a word??) after 30 minutes or so. I want to resolve it, if possible, but I'm still thinking that I might be trying to solve something that's negligible and unsolvable with my skin.

I love that Slant for many reasons. I just wish it'll be one I could go all-in on.

Thanks for all the tips, Guys! Great to get second opinions on this from fellow shavers.

macaronus likes this.
  15. tuxxdk

Okay update on todays shave.

Hideous... plain and simple. Got some slight burn all over that stung a bit from the alum and two small nicks in my upper lip.

What did I change? Well for starters I shaved in cold water, bordering to luke but most on the cold side. Then of course the Astra SP was on it's second shave. I normally get 4-6 shaves of an Astra so I consider it still new and strong. Then I minded the pressure and I know some places where I tried to ease more. Also I minded the angle - looked at the razorhead all the time to control it. ATG was pure brutality.

Man.... .tomorrow I'll give it a rest and shave with a "normal" DE.

16. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

Try oils or creams and try a new blade. If you don't like it I'll get it off of ya :p

17. tuxxdk

I've installed my best blade to try it again the day after tomorrow. Or perhaps take chance and use it tomorrow already.

I'm tempted to sell it if it doesn't work out. I mean - yeah I'd like to use it for 30 days and perfect the technique. But there's no pleasure in it for me if everyday has to be a chore.

Hrm.. searching a bit I think I might know why today was so bad, compared with yesterday. Today I was payed more attention to the angle - I opened it up to let the razor fit better if you know what I mean. Visually it looked okay. Now I'm reading that I need a much more shallow angle with a slant than with a normal DE. No wonder I got so bad a shave if that's the issue - because I used a much more carefully chosen angle - sadly it was too great apparently.

I hope my face can cope a slant tomorrow. I HAVE to try the theory.

Dapper-in-a-can-man likes this.
  18. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

For those who feel the need to get that perfect angle every time...
    protractor.jpg :D

Just messin'!

19. tuxxdk

I can take the pounding ;)

But seriously - does the angle need to be more shallow? Because I thought it was too shallow, hence I opened it up. Turned out the first shaves, besides the slight irritation that didn't hurt, it might have been a near perfect angle?

20. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

The more one pursues the baby, the more one will notice that blades dull faster than previously thought. I used to get a week out of a blade, but in those days I was satisfied with merely passable shaves. Now that I am seeking a higher level of performance, I realize most blades can only give me 3, maybe 4 shaves at best without beating my face up.