Should pucks that are in mugs be covered?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by GregShaves, Jul 23, 2016.

1. GregShaves

GregShaves Member

I have always wondered if this is an issue or not. I have a puck of col. conk lime in a mug. but I dont have a good cover or anything for it. Does it have to be covered when not in use? or is the soap ok to be left to open air all the time?

If I should be covering them, does anyone have any good ideas or experiences with diy mug covers?

Thanks all.

whiteboy_cannon likes this.
  2. Edsland

Edsland Active Member

I never cover mine

champagneinhand likes this.
  3. GregShaves

GregShaves Member

I havent had it covered, and it is in a drawer all the time when not is use so its protected more or less from dust and the like.

Thanks for the input.

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I cover all mine to keep dust off.

5. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

It never occurred to me not to cover since all my soaps either came with lid or are installed in containers with lid. I'd worry they'd loose smell and/or dry out from prolonged storage with no cover.

Perhaps it's not an issue with a daily used soap?

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Never considered a soap drying out. Unless it is a soft soap, there is no such thing as too dry. I had an old puck of Colgate Barber's soap I bought at an antique mall. No box, no wrapper, just a puck of soap. Got home, ran it under some water real quick to get the dust off, and dropped it into an Old Spice mug. Still whips up a great lather.

Carbide Mike, Spud, opsimath and 5 others like this.
  7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Me either.

BamaT likes this.
  8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Not necessary, but I made covers for mine so I could stack them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Carbide Mike, JBSharp, Spud and 6 others like this.
  9. tuxxdk

Good to know for future reference. Most of my soaps are soft though. Had a few softer samples that were rendered useless from drying and also a sample of Cella that lost its scent completely being uncovered.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  10. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I never cover hard soaps, and the few soft soaps I've had came in a container with a screw on lid. It makes sense to me to cover soft soaps.

11. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I'm a night shaver, so I leave them uncovered overnight. In the morning I cover it asap, or it will be filled with blonde hair, from the wife and daughter(when they brush their hair).
    I use to cover mine, 24/7, until I noticed mildew forming on some soaps.

12. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

The note that comes with Martin de Candre soaps, says not to cover the soap up - The lid is only for use when shipping the product.
    With containers like the Nuavia ceramic pots, I'll put the lid back on straight after use, as they're not airtight. Screw on lids I leave off until the soap has had time to dry (about a day after use).

13. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I'll always leave my soaps open until dry and I have not had any issues with fragrance loss.

14. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I have very rarely left a soap out, but i have never had one lose the scent when i did. Im sure some soft soaps would lose their scent after a while, but if that's the case...why not just use a small piece instead of the whole soap?

I guess my concern would ultimately be dust, but once again...I have only left samples/small pieces out uncovered, so that really hasn't come into play for me.

Carbide Mike and whiteboy_cannon like this.
  15. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I am using my VDH Luxury soap this week. I hadn't used it in a long time and it had gotten very dry. The day before I used it, I covered it with water and set it aside. By the next day, it was soft and creamy. I just dampened my synthetic brush and went to work. It loaded very quickly and made lots of lather.

Carbide Mike, BamaT, Spud and 2 others like this.
  16. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

I have three mugs with different pucks in them and I don't cover them. If one hasn't been used in a while - I have no set rotation - I just rinse it off before use. I've never had a problem with soap performance with this method.

17. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

@Jayaruh you should sell those, we all have about the same mugs.
    I need the vdh and two newer os, one older os, an avon, and another id have to measure.

Carbide Mike, dangermouse and Jayaruh like this.
  18. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    If you are serious, PM me and we can discuss it.

19. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I have never covered a soap in my shaving mug. It has never had an adverse impact on any of the soaps which I have used. Look at it this way - most shaving mugs made over time have not had a cover. Most of them would have been made with a cover if one were necessary.

Carbide Mike and danbuter like this.
  20. tuxxdk

I have always thought a shaving mug was to build lather in.

It's interesting to learn that they, in fact, seem to be used for storage of the puck.

Carbide Mike and shadowfeind like this.