Simple DIY Projects

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by jimjo1031, May 29, 2016.

1. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

To keep from getting bored I usually do some Art work or work on models. But sometimes I just make or modify something that I already have. My latest project involved this brush in image #1. It's been with me a long time and I think it's a makeup brush, possibly goat hair, but not sure. So I was bored, kept looking at it, and thought of something. I took out my rotary tool and did some cutting, sanding, trimming the bristles, paint the cut handle black and added a couple of clear coats and put together with epoxy. The final being in image #2. So then, since I needed a shave, I tried it out. And yes, it makes a great lather, with the bristles being a bit stiff, but kind of soft at the tips. Guess I now have a travel brush when I need it.................... IMG_0509.JPG IMG_0511.JPG

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  2. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

Very cool! I always like DIY projects and modifying things.

Carbide Mike and jimjo1031 like this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

Great transformation! I've heard of goat hair shaving brushes. The consensus is they are too soft of bristle. By trimming, shortening you have conquered the problem? How long are the bristles now?

4. gregkw1

gregkw1 Well-Known Member

I'm making some novelty brushes here's my first one[​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

5. jimjo1031

Bristles are about 1 9/16" (40mm) and a "knot" size of about 16mm or 17mm. Overall length is about 3 5/8"

Carbide Mike and Robyflexx like this.
  6. jimjo1031

This post can probably go on different threads, but since it is simple, I'll just add it here. My first attempt at making shave soap using pour and melt method. Started with Clear Glycerine base, added Bentonite Clay, a little Aloe Vera gel, vitamin E oil and Sweet Orange essential oil. Also first attempt at using shave soap over cream. Looks OK and shaved well also................ IMG_0516.JPG

7. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

Jimjo, that is great work on two creative fronts. I salute you! I love things like this.

8. jimjo1031

This is what I used for molds, a cupcake/muffin baking tray. I was able to make six soaps out of one pound of base. IMG_0517.JPG

Carbide Mike, macaronus and opsimath like this.
  9. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Silicone cupcake molds are even better for soap. They are flexible, so it is easier to get the soap out.

10. jimjo1031

Yeah, I know. I did have some but a while ago we had a mouse problem and they got chewed on. So I used what I had until I get new ones.

Carbide Mike and Sara-s like this.
  11. jimjo1031

I figure that they weigh about 2.7oz each. top-2.75" dia., bottom-2.25"dia., 1" thick. fits my small stainless travel bowl nicely (99 cents Ebay shipped China) IMG_0518.JPG

Carbide Mike, Sara-s and twhite like this.
  12. jimjo1031

So, I finally got my supplies to make my own Pre Shave Oil, and just in time because I ran out the other day and really felt the difference without it. I saw many recipes using a ratio of 2:1 or 1:1 Castor Oil to Grapeseed or Olive Oil, but wanted to keep it on the thin side and not too thick. This is how I mixed it: One cup Grapeseed Oil, 1/2 cup Castor Oil, two tablespoons Vitamin E oil, one tablespoon Glycerine and about 25 drops of Sweet Orange essential oil. Worked out really nice without feeling too oily or greasy with a nice orange citrus smell that went together well with the DIY shave soap I made.

Carbide Mike and simms623 like this.
  13. jimjo1031

I was looking through my E-cig supplies and came across a Mod that I don't use any more and had an idea. So I took it apart and figured that it would work. Looking at the pics you can probably see what I was thinking. I can see future shave brush handles as soon as I can get a 24mm knot or two. Maybe even a third, with a 19mm or 20mm knot, if I can use the inside brass piece with a couple more parts. Might be a while til I can do this and will let you know how it's going...................... IMG_0521.JPG IMG_0522.JPG

Carbide Mike, RyX and Keithmax like this.
  14. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

I want one !

15. jimjo1031

I'm trying to figure out if there could be washers big enough to fit in the gaps, as you can see on one of them, so it'll be easier to put on a brush stand. Gotta have an inside diameter big enough but not an overly large outside diameter so it'll still be comfortable to hold while using it. Even if it's a little smaller inside diameter, I can enlarge it with my rotary tool.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
    Carbide Mike likes this.
  16. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Send me the diameter, inside and outside, I will look, sure I have something that will work.

17. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Read above. What material ?

18. jimjo1031

IMG_0523.JPG 20-21mm inside dia., no more. around 27mm outside dia. and 1mm thick. I can go a little thicker if plastic or nylon is used and even smaller inside dia., but metal would look nice on it. Mod is stainless. Picture shows where it would be to hold it on a stand.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
    Carbide Mike and macaronus like this.
  19. jimjo1031

and it'll be a short handle, approx. 1.25in in length

Carbide Mike likes this.
  20. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

I like it. I have some prescription bottles that have a ring that size. There blue.

macaronus likes this.