Simpson shaving brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Joachim, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Joachim

Joachim Well-Known Member

Hello guys

i like to hear your opinion about brushes from the famous Simpson??
    Is it really that good as everyone is saying.or is there brushes in the same price range there are better.

In Denmark there are a couple of places you can buy Simpson brush.
    and the prices are around 300$ - 400$ for the expenses ones.

Im looking forward to hearing your opinion.

have a fantastic day guys....

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
  3. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I will agree that Simpsons are great brushes, but I think there are much better values out there: wolf Whiskers, wiborg, paladin, and declaration brushworks are all cheaper and higher quality imho.

4. Joachim

Thanks guys
    I will look some of the others out.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  5. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Sold all of my high-end Simpsons (and I mean high-end) in favor of Paladins. (only kept my CH2 Synthetic and Wee Scot, both excellent travel razors)
    IMO, you can do MUCH better for a lot less. Check out Thäter. I have a Thäter Fünf that is exquisite.

6. jar

jar Well-Known Member

I'm not sure you can do better than Simpson but you can find many shaving brushes that differ from Simpson. There are almost as many different shaving brush makers today as when I started shaving over a half a century ago and the brushes being made today are generally as nice as the brushes from a half century ago. Whether today's brushes will last as long only time will tell.

Fortunately, we are all different and so will like different things. That's what is so wonderful. In general, brushes are a relatively inexpensive luxury even at the higher end and far less of a financial risk than that new phone or car or computer or set of golf clubs.

brit, Screwtape, Str8 Shaver and 4 others like this.
  7. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I completely forgot to mention one of the best brush makers out there, Morris and Forndran. Check them out too.

Joachim and Douglas Carey like this.
  8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Simpsons are excellent brushes with a long history of quality. As others have mentioned already, today's shaving brush buyer has some excellent seller options to choose from with a variety of styles and prices. You can't go wrong with a Simpson brush but I'd recommend also checking out some of the other makers as well.

9. Joachim

Thanks for all your comment.and i will youse the weekend looking for a new brush..

10. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

If I were to spend a couple of bucks on a high end brush I'd go with the ones @Primotenore has. He has the goods.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  11. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I will stick up for Simpson. I have several brushes in Super and one in Best. They are excellent brushes and I consider them to be elite quality. I have not tried their Manchurian. I also have Thäter and Shavemac silver tip brushes which are also excellent. There are many excellent choices but is important to ask yourself what are the qualities you are looking for? How soft? How much backbone? Density?

I also have to deal with international shipping so The Superior Shave is a good source for Simpson giving the international shipping prices.

12. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Simpsons brushes are a fine product without a doubt. I have a Simpsons Special and it is a pleasure to use. As with so many tools of the wet shaving world you can buy economy or go high end. With some products the quality is excellent at a very reasonable price. There are excellent quality brushes out there for under $50 or less. Or you can go high end and buy a premium product. It's your choice. It's your money and it all depends on what you value most.

Keithmax and Joachim like this.
  13. Str8 Shaver

Str8 Shaver Well-Known Member

Simpson Manchurian is IMHO, simply outstanding... as was their 2 Band from a few years ago.. :drool:

14. dennisb

dennisb New Member

Are the super badgers silvertip?? Or does Simpson not make a silvertip??

15. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Yes, the Supers are a three band silvertip.

Keithmax likes this.
  16. dennisb

dennisb New Member

Ok cool, thanks for the info,

17. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Generally speaking I'd say I prefer Shavemac knots. I have owned 4 Simpsons brushes so my experience with them is limited. 2 of them were best quality knots, liked one the other not so much. Right now I have a Captain in Manchurian, very nice brush the other a Chubby 2 in synthetic which the more I use the better I like it. Simpsons offer a complete line of brushes so your selection of brush style will be an important component in your satisfaction. Choose wisely.

Keithmax likes this.
  18. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Personally, I like (as in really like) Simpsons best. Although there is definitely some variance in hair from brush to brush, they are generally very good knots if you like some scrub. They are also reasonably priced for a quality, dense knot. But I don’t anticipate buying any more Simpson brushes in their premium grades.

In my opinion, and while I am not knocking the quality because they are fantastic, once you move into Super and Manchurian, they are simply WAY overpriced compared to their competition. And don’t get me wrong, this isn’t a “Bash high end brushes and the people who buy them” kind of comment. I just think that you can buy three band silvertips of equal quality from Thater and save a ton of dough. Same with Shavemac for two bands.

So you are essentially paying the premium for the sticker and the rod stock. There is something about a Simpson handle that shouts out classic shave. I love Simpson brushes, I will just be looking to them for Best and Synthetics from now on.

oscar11 likes this.
  19. jar

jar Well-Known Member

I really like the Best Badger level brushes from Simpson rather than their really higher cost versions and have felt that way for a long long time.

[​IMG]

Keithmax and MR41 like this.
  20. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Broke down and picked up a Somerset era Simpson CH2...
    IMG_3980 copy.jpg

Keithmax and PickledNorthern like this.