Simpson should be ashamed of themselves for this razor.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by IAmTheJody, May 29, 2012.

1. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Slapping their name on a made-in-Taiwan Sabi razor (quite ugly IMHO and not even the "revered logo" as they claim) and selling it for the ridiculous sum of £29.95 which equals $46.92 at this time, plus shipping... They can call it limited edition all they want but in the end, it's still just a Sabi.

IMHO again, limited editions for commercial businesses should be more classy than this. I can understand these as razor forum support/fund raising items but not from a classic, revered company like Simpson.

It just seems since the company has new owners, they've changed their business model more from quality to $$$$$$$$. Hell, even my latest purchase of a Simpson brush sheds more than my cat which is why I don't use it much anymore.

http://www.simpsonshavingbrushes.com/cgi-bin/trolleyed_public.cgi?action=showprod_DERAZORIVORY

[​IMG]

Save yourself $32.92 and buy it for $14.00 elsewhere sans the Simpson printing (not going to mention the vendor since they are banned from TSD - find 'em ya'self! :p ).

Disclaimer: Yes, I woke up in an ornery mood this morning but even if I had woken up with a Cheshire cat grin and pooping rainbows and glitter, I'd still say the same thing in this instance.

2. Azarius

Azarius Must have had his WHEATies

That is absolutely ridiculous what they are charging for that razor, the quality of the plating actually looks sub-par to the Sabi. If you calculate shipping into the equation, the cost of the Simpson razor is $59.37 :angry019:

For $50 one could purchase two of the Sabi stainless steel razors (T1, T2, or T3), although I would recommend scrapping the heads and only using the handles. I must admit, I like the heavy weight of the Sabi handles, below is a pic of the T3 handle paired with an R41 head and also to a GEM 1912

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Someone will have to PM on why the vendor is banned, as I am sure that it is for good reason, although personally I never had a problem with them.

Smoothy and NoobShaver like this.
  3. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

I'm not really against re-branding as companies can still offer good value with a re-brand and often do. In this case though I agree with you..for-shame..:rolleyes005:

4. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

tsk tsk for sure.

5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    It should read "For a limited time only, order a Simpsons brush, and receive a free razor now through Father's day or as long as supplies last!" or "Send in five "famous English brand" shaving cream or soap box tops and get a free razor. Offer expires 12/31/13."

IAmTheJody likes this.
  6. Blobster

Blobster Member

Come on folks! Is it "let's bash a big famous company time"? It's not my cup of tea, but I'm sure if the general shaving community finds the razor too ugly or too expensive, they'll stop buying it and Simpsons will stop stocking them. By the way Jody, if you've got a shedder, send it back and they'll replace it for you. Unlike lots of other big companies I could mention, Simpsons has first rate customer care.

Hanzo likes this.
  7. Mark1966

Mark1966 Well-Known Member

I'm caught in two minds.

On the one hand I agree with Blobster - Simpson have stood by their product with me and replaced a shedder with no argument, if I thought it was faulty that was good enough for them. That is pretty damm good and certainly not the norm with most products nowadays. Email responses from the CEO within 30 mins is also pretty impressive.

On the other hand I agree with Jody and worry that they have 'Jumped the Shark' with this razor. I dispute that it 'carries the revered A. E. Simpson logo' it seems a poor execution of the name alone with a cheesy tag line. I think that it devalues the Simpson brand to be honest as they have moved out of their area of expertise into selling product.

NoobShaver likes this.
  8. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

That's the exact point I was trying to make. I just expect better from Simpson. Even more so when you're a revered company "known for quality", it's your first ever razor offering and you hail it as "limited edition".

NoobShaver likes this.
  9. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

I think it's less "let's bash the famous company" and more "we love this company, why are they overcharging for a substandard product?"

Sabi razors are okay at $14 but $46 is highway robbery. I think we'd all like to see Simpsons field a razor of equal quality to their brushes.

PLANofMAN, Slipperyjoe and IAmTheJody like this.
  10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

11. Smoothy

Smoothy Well-Known Member

Am venturing into Off Topic Territory here but I just got to say this:

Very nice soap bowl, Azarius! I like it a lot!

battle.munky and Azarius like this.
  12. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

People don't care about too expensive. We have people on this forum who happily spend over $300 for certain razors. I've spent $200 on a Simpsons badger brush which has been top notch quality, I think it MAY have lost 1 hair but I can't even remember, and it performs flawlessly. However a company with the Simpsons reputation shouldn't be throwing its name around on a $5 razor and charging Simpsons prices for the thing, when an Edwin Jagger is 5x the quality for the same price or less in most cases.

TBH I'd be happier if Simpsons rebranded a few Jaggers, now THAT would be a worthwhile razor.

13. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

I couldn't agree more! When I first saw that I wasn't too inspired by it. Don't get me wrong, I solely use Simpson brushes and love every moment with them. But the razor just doesn't seek to have the classy appeal a Jagger of Muhle would.

@Jody, sounds like your day is about as good as mine. O_o

14. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Remember, it wasn't that long ago that Simpsons was crying "for shame" when Trumper abandoned them to make their own brushes. At least Simpsons had reason to cry foul, because not only were the brushes of inferior quality (for the prices Trumper is charging), they closely resembled Simpson's Trumper brushes. This would not have been a problem except for the fact that everyone knew Simpson's made Trumper's brushes.

Here we also have a company with a longer and nobler legacy than Trumper's pulling the same kind of stunt. Simpson is re-branding a razor that looks nice but is considered an inferior product (for the price that Simpson's is charging). This is less bashing and more of a whistle blowing thread. I don't think you will find one person commenting on this thread who does not own a Simpsons brush or wishes to own a Simpson's brush. My vintage Simpson's is the pride and joy of my brush collection.

I wonder if they would get the same prices if they said in their spiel "...and on the other side of the handle, this razor carries the revered 'Made in Taiwan' logo".

IAmTheJody likes this.
  15. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Actually, Trumpers is older than Simpsons by about 44 years, and technically the nobler legacy belongs to GFT as well, being awarded a Royal Warrant in the Victorian Era which still hasn't been revoked. ;)

PLANofMAN likes this.
  16. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    "Designing a brush that can stand the test of time for as long as the Chubby has shows how much time, and money, was invested in its conception. Vulfix, the current owners of Simpson, have every right to profit from the original design and it's well respected name. They paid good money for the privilege of owning the Simpson brand and all the heritage and quality styles that came with their acquisition. " Gary Young - Simpson family member
    Quote is from another forum where they were discussing the Trumper/Simpson split.

And Neolithium, when one company has worked with another (Simpson's and Trumper) for over 80 years the legacy thing becomes moot.

What we have here is Vulfix capitalizing on the Simpson's name, even at the cost of dragging that same name down.

17. Blobster

Blobster Member

Sounds like bashing to me!

Maybe they could have re-branded a superior razor. Maybe they wanted to but weren't given permission. Who knows. But only a quick glance at any shaving site will tell you that there is no such thing because everybody has their own favourite, superior razor. Personally I think all new razors look pretty ghastly compared to traditional ones. I agree that the Simpson brand has a traditional, old-fashioned, legacy (whatever you want to call it) image and why they would consider selling a razor that looks more like an adjustable spannner is beyond me but they're only trying to make a buck in a very small select market. By the way I too have a Simpson brush and two Vulfixes for that matter. This in any way wouldn't deter me from buying more.

There's nothing like a Simpson thread to get things moving!

Hanzo likes this.
  18. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I'm sorry, your argument fails.
    There are almost 100 years worth of expired Gillette patents they could have used to market their own razor. I know many forumites, myself included, would have no problem dropping $150 or even $200 on a "new" Gillette 3 piece or TTO razor, especially with the Simpson's name on it.

GDCarrington and IAmTheJody like this.
  19. Blobster

Blobster Member

Have you any idea how much it would cost to make moulds, tool up, find a company or craftsman capable of doing such a thing? It would be an enormous investment. The only reason Gillette could afford to do it was because they were almost guaranteed sales of hundreds of thousands of units. Hardly something a small brush manufaturer such as Simpson would consider. Nice idea but no cigar.

20. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    They could CNC machine the heads out of blocks of stainless steel, aluminum or brass. For a limited run of say 500 pcs. a year, They would make money. The handles could be made almost anywhere, including China. Assuming 1 small CNC wire cutting machine could cut out 5 heads a day (lowball est.) they could do a year's production run in 100 days. The process is almost entirely automated and would require little oversight. If Ikon could do it as an unestablished start-up, I would think that a company like Vulfix Simpson's could certainly do it. I would not call them "a small brush manufacturer".

There would be no tooling or mould costs, development costs would likewise be almost nil as they would have original patent drawings as well as existing razors to copy. Inital cost would be for a used CNC machine and CNC programmer, plus cost of materials. They might take a loss on the razors for the first year, but after that, as demand continues to grow for high quality wet shaving equipment, who knows?

Edit: With respect to Blobster, he is right about casting, molds, labor, etc. being too cost prohibitive to consider reproducing old style TTOs. The company(ies) that makes a modern TTO is primarily a razor manufacturer and as such, I cannot see a brush mfg. company ever making a TTO razor. Unfortunately.