Simpson's Brush Instructions

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Col C, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I recently bought a Simpson's brush. I just read the instruction (something I seldom do for anything) that came with it. It clearly states: "When applying lather use light to-and-fro strokes, like a paint brush (a heavy circular motion damages the hair of the brush)". So much for face lathering. Even though I bowl lather - I still, on the first application - "scrub" the lather into my beard. The second and third pass I paint on. Oh well. Have not seen similar instructions with other brushes.

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I view the brush as a tool. I'm going to use how I want in order to get the results I want.
    I don't abuse my tools, but I don't baby them, either.
    It's a tool, and tools can be replaced. If it can't, don't use it, unless you don't care.

DaltonGang, DesertTime and alpla444 like this.
  3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    A heavy circular motion in only one direction will damage a brush over time. If you vary directions every once in a while, and refrain from mashing the hairs down to the handle, you'll be fine.

Other manufacturers state that using hot water can damage the brush, so by that standard, Simpson's is relatively sane.

alpla444 and PickledNorthern like this.
  4. KAV

KAV Well-Known Member

Vincent Van Gogh made circular strokes to paint his stars.

Toomuch40 likes this.
  5. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Agree - thats why I'm not changing the way I do it.

Toomuch40 and swarden43 like this.
  6. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

This has come up before on various forums, and the general consensus is basically that it is a CYA for them to deny warranty replacement to people who are rampant domestic brush abusers. (Mashers)

They do not expect you to not face lather, mix up a good bowl, or give your face a good scrubbing.

Mark from Simpsons has come on line and basically affirmed that if you use a little common sense, you won't have a problem.

7. gzp

gzp Well-Known Member

Kent has similar instructions:

When whipping up your shaving cream to create a thick lather, flick your brush back and forth and up and down across the soap bowl.Protect the life of your shaving brush by avoiding using circular motions to whip up a lather. This is because continuous circular motions will cause the bristles to tighten, eventually leading them to fall out. Prolong the life of your brush by never using solely circular movements.

https://kentbrushes.com/wet-shaving-tips

PickledNorthern likes this.
  8. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I agree that it's your brush and you should use it in the manner that best serves you, however, without "over-splaying" or "mashing" the bristles (hair), it is very easy to face lather and create a great lather.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  9. KAV

KAV Well-Known Member

I must ask: does mashing a brush destroy the hair TIPS or provide a convenient dodge for shoddy QC ,shedders and backing up alternative fact claims of the oldest and the bestest?

10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I would think mashing puts stress at the base of the knot, weakening the hairs at that point, making them more susceptible to breaking there.

11. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Guess I'll have to give the old back and forth a try. Been using circular motion since I started. Who knew?

12. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

This is why I don't read instructions or ask for directions when I'm lost.

RetLEO-07 and PickledNorthern like this.
  13. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Well, as already stated, it gives the manufacturer an out when it comes to heavy handed customers making warranty claims.

It doesn't destroy the tips. It twists the hairs and splays out the bristles/hairs from the center. Here is an example of a brush that has been mashed and used in one direction of swirling.
    [​IMG]
    I would consider this brush to be usable, but badly damaged.

14. KAV

KAV Well-Known Member

'Warranty claims' warrants a thread of it's own. I claim it ironic no few bruhsmakers have ventured into selling soaps which come in these ROUND containers affording little room for paintstrokes. One would think that ie Mitchell's Wool Fat and Kent would have sat down over a scotch and resolved this; given their boasts of 19th century foundings. I have a Vie-Long badger that served as sole brush for well over 18 months. I loaded soap widdershins and counterwiddershins at random without any apparent harm; not one shedded hair or tip damage. I possess Dusy Kabinette. I shall comission a container
    and try this stropping business. I suppose I should 'box the compass' to avoid a Gumby result.

Keithmax likes this.
  15. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    @KAV Kent is a brush manufacturer. Soap is a recent product launch for them, and since it's rebranded MWF, who cares?

As for MWF, despite it's long history, much of that history was spent selling soap locally, probably at whatever passes for the local farmers market.

Brush makers don't much care how you use a brush. The vast majority of wet shavers own only one or two brushes at a time, and with a 10-30 year expected lifespan on the brush, even a repeat customer is only going to buy 3 or 4 brushes in their lifetime. It's a hell of a way to have to run a business.

RetLEO-07 and Toomuch40 like this.
  16. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

:rofl:

If I had any brush damage I would consider a class action lawsuit, between the round soaps and round handles it tricked me into using circular motions to load soap and face lather.

jtspartan and PLANofMAN like this.
  17. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

Now there's a word I haven't heard for many, many years, I had to look it up, to remind myself. I love the English language. Random, it means ... ;)

18. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Yes, I thought the instructions that came with my Simpson Special were a bit odd. Truth is...abuse anything and you will destroy it. I use a mild circular motion with all my brushes and I see no deterioration.

Linuxguile likes this.
  19. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Yes, but he was seriously crazy. He had hallucinations, was delusional, cut his own ear off, an shot himself in the chest(dead). Just a little eccentric.
    But, he is my favorite impressionist.