Slim adjustable

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by aelfred.t.allspa, Feb 18, 2016.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

:happy088::happy088:

Kokak, BeShaved and Robyflexx like this.
  2. gregkw1

gregkw1 Well-Known Member

I use the slim and the Super Adjustable I have big hands so I really like the long handled black beauty and of course my face really likes the gold. You can hardly tell the difference between the shaves but I really like the Super Adjustable tiny bit better never try tried Fatboy I think the head might be too big for under the nose.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Kokak and BeShaved like this.
  3. Art_Vandelay

Art_Vandelay New Member

I've had and used both. Not any major differences other than the Slim's narrower profile. This means it's a bit easier to get under your nose. At the end of the day, the differences really don't amount to much.

If you want to go the vintage adjustable route, I'd look for the Slim. While they aren't exactly cheap, they're more readily available and generally much cheaper than Fat Boys. Those seem to have reached mythic proportions in Shave Nerd-dom and they usually fetch ridiculous money.

4. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Having used all three, liking all three and finding they all shave very similar. I'd suggest going with either the Slim or Super Adjustable as they are usually a bit cheaper and a bit more plentiful on ebay than the "Fatboy". The SA also comes in two different sized handles(short and long). :)

5. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    I have 2 slims, super 84, a fatboy and an executive fatboy. My favorite is the executive fatty. Why?...It's the shiniest. Just like cars, the ones with stickers on 'em are faster lol!

Kokak, BeShaved, RyX and 2 others like this.
  6. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I was using a Slim exclusively for a number of years before I stumbled upon this place and got infected with the RAD. But there's a definite difference between the Slim & Fatboy in the way it feels. Maybe in a few more months, the Fatboy won't feel so clumsy.

7. BeShaved

BeShaved Well-Known Member

Ok, guys. Both of you made me want to collect them all. Do all 4 of them come with W3 mark? I want to hunt them next year.... So long the wait is....

Kokak likes this.
  8. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

9. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I think the short handle was only produced for a few years in the 70s.

10. gregkw1

gregkw1 Well-Known Member

I think the black beauty with the black plastic neck was 77-88

11. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Gonna throw in my .02 here. Last weekend I acquired this:
    IMG_0978.JPG
    '67 Slim Adjustable
    I already had this:
    IMG_0244.JPG
    '71 Super Adjustable 109
    Took my first shave with the Slim this morning. Had a GSB(my benchmark blade)loaded up. First impression is the Slim is a bit smoother. My blade of choice for my Black Beauty is Voskhod. So the real test is at least a week away.

Kokak likes this.
  12. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Picture 1.jpg
    Top of pic is my Dads Fatboy, the Slim my first razor and my Super Adjustable. Bottom is a set I've acquired and a Probak. Either razor is a great shaver each requiring a bit of a change in shaving angle, but not by much. I tend to pick up the Fatboy more often than the other two. At setting 7 it feels that the Fatboy seems slightly less aggressive than the Slim or BB

Kokak, LOOT and RetLEO-07 like this.
  13. RetLEO-07

Three shaves in on my Slim Adjustable Blade Focus. I started with the GSB which is my "benchmark" blade. It's too early to really tell, but the Slim feels smoother. More blades need to be run thru, but so far color me impressed.

Kokak likes this.
  14. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

I used to use Wilkinson Sword in my Slim and BB but lately I've been using Astra AP or Crystal blades with the Gillette Adjustable's seemingly better results. but found that the WS's work great in my newer razors (Weber PH & Parker Variant) probably due to more blade exposure in them.

Kokak likes this.
  15. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I've owned multiple Fat Boys and a couple Slims and I can get a DFS from either one. That said I do prefer my Fat Boys, and that is it; a preference of weight and feel in the hand. If you just starting to try out an adjustable then I'd start with a Slim (due to cost), but make sure to try out a Fat Boy sometime.

Kokak likes this.
  16. RetLEO-07

New shave week, new blade in the Slim for audition. Timor from Germany. So far, giving nice shaves. We'll see how it goes later in the week. Oh yes, here's my '67..
    IMG_0978.JPG

Kokak and Jim99 like this.
  17. BearCWY

BearCWY Well-Known Member

I own an Executive Fat Boy, a couple of 1959 Fat Boys, a slim and 2 BB's. I personally prefer a Fat Boy, I know it's heavier but I I use that to my advantage letting the weight of the razor do the work instead of me trying to do it myself. There are some differences in the shaves to me, the Fat boy being the mildest of the 3 on the same setting and the Black Beauty being the most aggressive. Weight wise the Fat Boy is the heaviest and the BB being the lightest of course because it has an aluminium handle. The heads are a little different, the slim and BB heads are thinner from the top to the bottom. If your looking at weight, for the lightest go with a Black Beauty, second the slim.

Kokak likes this.
  18. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Tomorrow I will put one of my Aristocrat Adjustables back in rotation. It's been complaining about never getting any face time for ages.

Kokak and BearCWY like this.
  19. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

I have a "Slim" and a #109 (Black Beauty) and actually prefer the #109...

Just to mix things up...

20. RetLEO-07

You mean like this?.....
    IMG_0244.JPG

Kokak likes this.