Small Batch Shave Tonic

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by ram57, Aug 27, 2015.

1. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

Not sure if anyone is interested in this but I first ordered this two Christmas ago, broke the bottle on Christmas Eve when Granddaughter went to place in my stocking and the aroma from this aftershave was intoxicating. Well almost impossible catch them back in stock as it sells out quickly but now 21 months later I finally caught them in stock again. Little on the spendy side @ $25 each but to me, well worth the price and they are 7.5 oz of awesome smelling bourbon vanilla bay rum heaven in a bottle. This time around I bought two bottles.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
    RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I've been looking for this stuff for a while. Where did you find it?

MVeeI and ram57 like this.
  3. ram57

That would have been helpful. Direct from the barbershop in Louisville KY that makes it: https://squareup.com/market/derbycitychopshop

PLANofMAN likes this.
  4. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I have heard great things about this bay rum, but I agree that is seems to be out of stock quite often. Its the same way with Mike's Natural soaps.

ram57 likes this.
  5. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Thanks. Snagged two. If I don't like it, I imagine I'll have very little trouble finding someone to take it off my hands.
    This is perhaps the third or fourth batch made in the two plus years they've been selling this stuff. Hard to get is an understatement.

ram57 likes this.
  6. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

OK Guy, you sold me on this Bay Rum. It's been out of stock forever. I ordered my first bottle today. Thanks for the link. :happy088:

PLANofMAN and ram57 like this.
  7. ram57

I think you will like it. If not, just like the Might Cobra, King Cobra and Mongoose it will turn over very quickly to those in waiting......

Boojum1 likes this.
  8. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Saw this posted on B&B.

"The first bottle I got was "Batch 4" bottled December 22, 2013 numbered 5/60. The one I bought yesterday was "Batch 5" Bottled April 11, 2015 No. 75/76."

That would probably make this batch #6, with less than 100 bottles in this batch. So they've stepped up production, but still less than twice a year, and they didn't make any in 2014.

This stuff also looks interesting.
    http://theholyblack.com/products/whisker-whisky-aftershave-bay-whiskey-lime-100ml?ref=yotpo_93
    Also made from whisky, but with an old spice + gunpowder scent.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
    ram57 likes this.
  9. ram57

Looks interesting. I have one tried one aftershave and a soap sample with gunpowder and neither was for me.

10. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Asked them how much they made this go round, and this was the reply:

"Actually made two batches this time of 75, have about 60 left currently"

They posted it up for sale on Monday. If you want it, now's the time to grab it!

ram57 likes this.
  11. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Got mine....sigh.. I'm so easy.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  12. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I love the smell of "hype" in the morning. ;)

In all honesty, the reviews from people who like Bay Rum have been highly favorable. And the bottle looks cool. (We all know that's the most important thing). :p

ram57 likes this.
  13. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Just don't like the shipping: "$8 plus $2 for this item"
    There is no reason it should cost $10 to ship this item domestically.
    Pass.

Weeper Warrior and MarshalArtist like this.
  14. Fred Hill

Fred Hill Well-Known Member

Especially if you live in Kentucky?

15. Boojum1

Sold Out!

PLANofMAN likes this.
  16. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Two 7oz. bottles of a well reviewed, hard to find aftershave shipped, for the price of one halfway decent quality 4.2 oz cologne in the store? I thought it was a bargain. Especially since all the other retailers who carry this product charge $35 per bottle before shipping is added in.

I can see your point, though. I detest "handling" charges. Roll the price into one shipping charge and it makes the pill easier to swallow.

17. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Better yet, just charge $35 and call it free shipping. Marketing studies prove people will pay more if they see "Free" somewhere in the offer.

Weeper Warrior likes this.
  18. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    According to that logic, I bought two bottles, had free shipping, and saved $8. Wow, who knew? :)

cmorris357 likes this.
  19. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I got mine today. I haven't used it yet, but I did crack it open for a whiff. You won't be smelling like a booze soaked rum-hound with this stuff. I splashed a little on my hands to get a better sniff. The shaker insert is a nice feature. You won't be splashing this stuff everywhere...unless it gets stuffed into a stocking.

This bay rum is very mild, I get a mostly woody vanilla mélange that mostly dissipates in about 30 minutes. It's a lovely scent, but even industrial strength scented bay rums (like Ogallala) never seem to last very long on me.

It doesn't have much projection, and the scent stays pretty close to the skin.

They were shipped in a medium flat rate box, with tons of foam peanuts for protection. The shipping costs were marked on the shipping label, $12.88.
    Since I paid $12 for shipping, Derby City Chop Shop actually had to pay .88¢ out of their own pocket for this order. So I will say that shipping was very reasonable, despite Darkbulb's claims otherwise. :)

As for the actual cost of this product, $25 per bottle does seem a bit high, though that is offset by the shear coolness of the bottle, and the fact that this is an artisan product.

I don't consider this a "limited edition" or "exclusive" product, as DCCS is increasing both the number and frequency of their batches.

Will I order this again? Maybe. Time will tell.

20. Boojum1

Guy, you were right, I love this stuff. I've been splashing it on after the shower on non shave days. I hope it lasts until the next batch.

ram57 likes this.