So is Anti-Perspirant Bad?

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by boyextraordinare, Apr 25, 2009.

1. boyextraordinare

boyextraordinare New Member

Or is it a myth?

I haven't used it in ages, ages, ages.

I stopped when I was about 18, not because I'd heard it was potentially unhealthy - a relatively recent discovery for me - but because it was leaving yellow stains on my white shirts.

Thus my question is two-fold.

-Is it dangerous to use in any way?

-Which brands don't leave yellow residue, or is that how it's always going to be for me for me? - body chemistry, etc.

2. Corey

Corey Member

Depending on the ingredients, the amount of dangers vary. One of the ingredients that seems to do the most damage in long term studies are the aluminum compounds found in many deodorants. The medical studies suggest a link to Alzheimers and breast cancers. They also suggest that it is more quickly absorbed into the lymphatic system for people who shave their armpits.

Parabens are also ingredients which have links to various medical problems, such as hormone disruption.

There are a few others where the medical studies are more iffy. Even natural ingredients can be iffy. Some ingredients, though all natural, can severely irritate skin. If you have something now that works for you that doesn't have all the bad crap in it, stick to it.

3. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

I wouldn't recommend using anti-persüirants for the reasons Corey already mentioned.

4. mmack66

mmack66 Member

The body sweats for a reason. I say, let it flow.

5. bonzo

bonzo New Member

Kaveh,

Is it dangerous to wear antiperspirant?

No, all that aluminum bashing stuff is probably just scare tactic nonsense.

However, the gly complex that most, if not all, antiperspirants use to act as an antiperspirant will leave yellow pit stains (it's the reaction of the complex and your sweat)

6. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

The reports that suggest that anti-perspirants are dangerous are based on shoddy science that is not backed up by other studies.

The links to breast cancer are fairly laughable - it is based on proximity, and the assumption that the compounds can charge into the armpits through the sweat glands and creep into the nearby breast.

As for blocking sweat being unnatural, consider how many sweat glands you have all over your body, and how few you are actually blocking under your armpits.

Bottom line, how many people have you actually heard of getting sick or worse from anti-perspirant? There are people out there who make a living off of "natural" or "organic" products who stand to benefit greatly if people believe that their competitors' products are harmful.

GDCarrington likes this.
  7. mmack66

mmack66 Member

Then why use a product that reduces sweat output only from a relatively few sweat glands? Aluminum aside, there may be problems with antiperspirant use and blocked sweat glands.

8. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

I have never worried that AP might be dangerous to my long term health. However I have never used it because it sets my pits on fire like Hades itself. Every few years I buy a stick just to see and sure enough, the redness and rawness shows up w/ in a day or two. It's nothing but deodorant only for me, and now I'm using the Crystal so I'm even off of that stuff too.

9. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I must to put on deodorant every day, and 2 times per day, to smell and feel clean. I cannot leave the house without it.

GDCarrington likes this.
  10. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

Because the sweat under the arms creates a nice wet, warm environment for the bacteria that normally colonizes your skin to grow and put off some particularly unpleasant odors, causing you to be offensive to others, including the opposite sex. Unless you wear no shirt or tank tops, and hold your arms over your head all day, the next best option to keep them dry and relatively odor free is AP.

11. BrushAndBlade

BrushAndBlade New Member

I don't think the natural/organic niche lobby is anywhere near the size and power of the AP lobby but it's a moot point as I react to it the same as Eagle anyway (too bad as I love the Brut AP).

12. burnWood

burnWood Mizzou Fan, YMMV

deodorant and anti perspirant are 2 different things my friend.
    I use to use the combo of deo/anti but now just go deodorant. If there is questionable science I just choose to keep it safe and avoid anti perspirant now.

13. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Ah, yes--you are right........I never seem to remember the difference. :ashamed001 My Mennen Speed Stick is wriiten DEODORANT. It works for me great, thanks God! :)

14. mmack66

mmack66 Member

I use deodorant, but, to each his own.

15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

That is what I use Jeff. it is a dollar a shot at the Dollar Tree store. Good and Cheap. I likey that.

16. burnWood

burnWood Mizzou Fan, YMMV

Good, cheap, and burn like Rome in the old days to my pits.

17. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

That would suck. That is how the original old spice round stick formula does me. Which sucks cause I like it a lot.

18. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

The original round old spice formula did that to me as well for the first few days. Then it stopped and now I love it. I wonder if it was a reaction to the old deodorant that I was using before....

19. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I have tried to fight through it to get use to it... did not work for me. Brut is the same. grrrrr so I stick with the Mennen .:D

20. boyextraordinare

boyextraordinare New Member

I only use deodorant too.

Oldspice Original Classic Scent AKA Original Round Stick Formula = Best.

Took me two trials to find it. First I bought Oldspice Endurance Classic Scent and was wondering why the hell is smelled so unlike Old Spice.

Then I realized where I'd erred.

It's very inexpensive too.