So I've been thinking

Discussion in 'Head shaving' started by Kenneth Sampson, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Kenneth Sampson

Kenneth Sampson Well-Known Member

I've been thinking about shaving my head. I already cut my hair with no guard on a beard trimmer. Only issue I have holding me back is how thick my hair is. When I cut my hair it's like Velcro with no give. I've done it once many years ago with a cartridge razor and went through about 3 hours and an entire pack of blades and there was still hair remaining. I have a DE razor that I could try, but I'm a little hesitant. What's a good way to tackle this?

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Carbide Mike and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  2. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

IF you're gunna shave you're head be EXTRA careful using an Muhle R41 otherwise you won't have any bare skin left on your skull :p

Carbide Mike and Kenneth Sampson like this.
  3. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

My hair has thinned quite a bit, but I have used a DE for at least a year. The first few times I was a little hesitant but soon found the proper angle and it just works. I really enjoy using a mild razor, like a Tech, on my scalp.

I also use a Trac II. I actually prefer it for most head shaves, particularly if I shave every 2-3 days.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

4. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I am a no guard clipper guy too, and a month or so ago, I decided to give it a shot. Started with a cart, and got frustrated with the ridiculously slow pace, so I switched to a pretty aggressive injector. The thing I didn't think about was how gnarly my head is; scars, knots and bumps everywhere. My bathroom looked like I slaughtered a hog in there. I decided the no guard option suits me just fine.

My 19 year old son, who just started wet shaving in the last year, also clips his head no guard, and decided to wet shave it with a DE. He had no problem, and has shaved it every few days since. I think his head is a little smoother than mine.

TLDR: The inexperienced kid did just fine with a DE, the experienced old guy was cocky and carved himself up like a ham.

5. Kenneth Sampson

I might have been 19 when I tried it last time, the bowl of water used turned red by the end, but my friend was the one going at my head. I'm still a little hesitant.

Carbide Mike and PickledNorthern like this.
  6. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I think if you go slow you'd be fine, assuming you aren't as big of a knothead as I am.

7. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

No head-shaving for me, it would result in a waste of the 2 + Clubman Country Club Hair Gels I have.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  8. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Give it a try, but stick with it for a week or so, shaving every 2 - 3 days. Don't judge your experience by that first head shave. The first one is always rough, both due to lack of experience, as well as the hair thickness. I have EXTREMELY coarse hair. I've been shaving it for almost 6 years, about half of that with a DE. If I go longer than 3 days, it can get a little too thick to manage. What DE would you be using?

A few tips should you decide to try it.
    • Start with a wet towel on your head for 2 or 3 minutes. Seems to soften things up for me.
    • Rub a little bit of moisturizer into your head after the towel. I use Nivea Creme, but I've used plain old lotion too. The moisturizer will help keep your skin pliable, helping to prevent cuts.
    • Don't shave ATG for a while. Start out with a month of only WTG and XTG. Many people can work up to ATG. I can't. My hair is just too thick for it, I end up with folliculitis. Even if you can do it, trying to do it right away is a recipe for a lot of nicks and irritation.
    • Shave every other day or every 3 days. If your hair is as thick as mine, than any shorter and you'll end up with a lot of irritation due to the velcro effect, and longer and you'll end up with irritation because your hair got too long.

9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I tried thinking --- once.
    It hurt.
    Never again.

10. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

My husband tried it too. Both brain cells were sore for days.

11. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Just do it. I can honestly say that since I first shaved my head a couple of years ago I will never grow my hair out.
    I normally use a Schick Xtreme 3 catridge razor, the head flexes with your dome. I use the same soap as I used for my face shave.
    Interesting enough I've found that I can get a really good head shave with razors I thought would be impossible to do, the RazoRock Black Hawk (single edge) and number of injectors. Why? I don't believe the blade on injectors have much bounce or wiggle.
    Give it a go. Let me know if I can help in any way.
    Kerry

12. Kenneth Sampson

Tackling the dome tonight. I'll report back.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  13. Kenneth Sampson

I'd have to say it went well. Did 3 passes. Just a couple nicks now I just gotta keep up with it. Can't tell much of a difference unless you touch it. My hair is still dark and even shaved, still has a shadow. Lol

Carbide Mike, Sara-s and Jim99 like this.
  14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I shaved my head for about six months after my grandson lost his hair because of chemo therapy. Because I shaved my head, my dermatologist discovered a spot on the back of my head that turned out to be melanoma. I ended up with a 2 1/2 inch scar on the top of my head. In the first picture you can see it at about 1 o'clock. My grandson turns 10 this year and is in remission, but his immune system is shot. Otherwise he is a great kid.
    I used one of those little head blades to keep the dome clean. headblade.jpg
    us and boys2.jpg roe1011s.jpg us and boys2.jpg

Troy M, Carbide Mike, Mbg75 and 2 others like this.
  15. Kenneth Sampson

Glad to hear he is in remission. Also glad to hear they found the melanoma in time. My father in law just passed to melanoma. Its a horrible thing to go through. We are doing a Melanoma walk in May to help raise money for research and awareness.

Troy M and Carbide Mike like this.