So what's with your stage name?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by swarden43, Feb 14, 2010.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

swarden43

s - first name, Steve
    warden - last name
    43 - my number when I played high school football (Grad of 1980. Man, I'm old!)

Anyone else?

Double Edge Dougy and 45auto like this.
  2. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

I've been an aviation buff and computer geek for years.

When Microsoft started the Fighter Ace online sim game 10+ years ago I went to sign up, unfortunately Dreidecker (as in Fokker Dreidecker) was already in use, so I just modded it a touch. Been using it ever since. :)

3. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Dane Cook has a bit where he talks about how cool it would be to have a monkey and how you could fight it when you got off work, etc. and I kinda like that idea, even though it sounds like a lot of work, so I swiped it several years ago and have used it ever since. munky is spelled incorrectly on purpose though.

4. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

"Yah - but deese fockers was flying Messerschmidts." :happy097

SOL = first 3 letters of last name
    92258 = cryptic order of my wedding date

45auto likes this.
  5. Billr

Billr Mix Master Mighty White!

Bill = first name

r = first letter of last name - Ricks

but my real stage name is - Mix Master Mighty White (sometimes I do DJ work)

6. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

I have a few dragon tattoos.. So hence DragonBoy..

7. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I used to call into a podcast. The host found out I was a Chemical Engineer and called me "Chemical Erik". I've used the name online ever since, sometimes shortening it to ChemErik.

8. Griz

Griz Member

Griz came to me from several directions. Griz was one of my favorite characters from "Jeremiah Johnson".

Then once while fishing, I became very concerned about a friend of mine that was late at our meeting point. Fearing he was in trouble I caught a ride back to our put in and ran a mile or so of river looking for him. He was at the take out with the rest of the crew, and they heard a big commotion in the river coming around the bend only to have it be me. They said I sounded like a grizzly bear coming down the river.......

Then while fishing in Alaska way out on the Alagnak River I had a large grizzly walk up on a (very) small island right behind me. Yes, I let him have the island.

That sealed it, Griz it has been ever since.

Will N.

9. sol92258

that's much less exciting that what I expected....
    [​IMG]

:D

10. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

Well, what can I say... it's my name. :cool:

BamaT likes this.
  11. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

Urban Dictionary: hoglahoo

12. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

Well........... It's just my first name :D

13. Griz

Griz Member

You know it doesn't sound very exciting when you read it in abreviated form does it? I guess you just had to be there.

When that bear came up out of the river about 10 feet behind me, I was plenty excited, and it was one of the few times in my life when I literally could not find my voice. You can't run or it will trigger a chase response, but when he was in the grass behind me I moved a few feet over to the water and moved away.

If Slidden Jim checks in he can verify as he was out in the river and wondering why I was trying to walk on water, carry my rod, holding bear spray, and grabbing for my pistol. And, probably wondering why I was leading a 600lb bear toward him!

Then the bear appeared out of the chest high grass standing on his hind legs (good sign) and looked at us and moved on.

That part was exciting.

Will N.

14. sol92258

:happy097
    My bad, I didn't mean to imply your experience was not exciting, not at all. I've walked up on snakes, skunks, a bobcat (thought I was a goner there! He walked away though), etc., there's always plenty of excitement in those experiences...I've never met a bear though, thankfully :D

I was actually being a tad sarcastic :cool:

Glad you survived though, I'd like to say "pictures or it didn't happen", but I think we'd all prefer a video of it! :rofl
    Maybe ya'll could re-enact it? :D

15. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I've come somewhat close. When fishing with my dad on a small lake, we had a black bear walk out of the woods and into the lake, swimming toward us. That time we just moved out farther into the lake and the bear didn't follow.

I've also had a pair of moose in a mating ritual run full speed 3-4 ft. away from me. Moose are interesting, the male chases the female and if he has enough endurance to wear her out and still be able to "perform" he gets to mate with her.

16. Jim Corbett

Jim Corbett Member

It was EXCITING, Believe me. All I heard was Griz YELLING BEAR - BEAR - BEAR and then he (Griz) commenced to walk on water. The best part was the bear looking out at him in disbelief. Yes Sir, that bear believed in God that day as he quietly turned around shaking his head and walking away.

17. flylot

flylot New Member

I'm a pilot. I fly, a lot!

FatherofSquirrel likes this.
  18. Griz

Griz Member

Slidden Jim's Story

Thanks Jim for the verification. I know you won't tell your story so I will though I know this will cost me someday.

Jim and I are flyfishing and hunting partners not to mention just good freinds. In fact, it was Jim that got me back into DE shaving and introduced me to TSD. Jim has a snore that rivals anyone and we like very loud snorers when you are sleeping in tents along the gravel bars of the Alagnak in Alaska. Big Snorers are good bear deterents, and we had several.

But when you are just camping in a safe part of the world it can be a bit much if you forget your earplugs. Such was the case on a trip with a bunch of guys from the Atlanta Fly Fishing Club.

Jim snored so loud that they pulled up the stakes and slid his tent 30 yards down the creek, and didn't wake him up. Hence the name Slidden Jim.

Now on our excursions we generally have a "Dad" for the trip to wrangle errant members and Jim is known as "Papa Slider" and I am "Papa Griz".

Will N.

19. Griz

Griz Member

Oh Yeah, for the photographic evidence....

The guys are on the small island where the bear walked up on me. Neither of those guys are Jim or me, but the fellow with a fish on is standing where I was, and the bear walked up right behind the second fellow.

Attached Files:

20. sol92258

:happy102:happy102:happy102:happy102:happy102