Soap / cream recommendations?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Irishgator, Apr 22, 2012.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Just to add:
    - Maca Root cream at The Body Shop store in some malls.
    - Col. Conk soap has been found in some tobacco shops, oddly enough.

2. Irishgator

Irishgator New Member

Well, I got the Van Der Hagen Kit at Walmart last night. Used it for the first time last night to clean off the weekend growth. I felt like I got a better shave than I was getting with the gel. I'll have to give it a try for a while to see what I really think. I noticed that it seemed to dry more quickly than the Gel, so I just reapplied. Also, noticed a number of the bristles falling out of the brush last night. Seemed less this morning, so perhaps it is just a break in period. Overall, I am pretty pleased. Surprising how much lather you can get with that little bit of usage.

I notice that my face feels slightly more irritated than usual today. I'll see how it goes. Currently, I don't use anything after the shave, but I didn't previously either.

Thanks for the suggestions. Quite frankly, I chose this based on a few suggestions and the fact that Target had nothing, and this is really all I saw at Walmart. Now I'll be considering aftershaves and a safety razor...

Zilla, KLF and mark_s like this.
  3. coche1

coche1 Actively Wishing Member

I'll 2nd a couple of suggestions here:
    VDH is decent and in my limited experience a soap that is fairly easy to lather.
    Arko shave sticks, while the scent is not appealing to me at all, are VERY easy to get a great lather from. And they are cheap. I ordered mine from Amazon with a couple other things I was ordering and got free shipping. GREAT deal overall, although if you're like me the idea of face lathering probably seems a bit intimidating. I found that it was actually much easier than I expected with the Arko and there was no reason not to try it sooner than I did.
    My primary lather still comes from C.O. Bigelow most days though. I think it provides a better lather, as easy to lather as VDH, and I enjoy the touch of eucalyptus/menthol in it. It is generally available at Bath & Body Works for $10/tube, but that tube will last several months.

I have learned over the last 4 months or so of wet shaving that I had to keep the brush wetter than I thought originally, and I've found that for the little bit of extra money it costs, I'd rather use extra product and throw lather away than run low on my last pass.

4. bittermormon

bittermormon Active Member

As a fellow Noob (3 months now) I'd offer this suggestion, find a Whole Foods/Trader Joe's type place and get some unscented Kiss My Face cream. It should only cost you about $8. Use that with your soap and you'll get really great lathers. You'll get the ease of lathering from the cream and the slickness of the soap.

The first time I tried using soap it was terrible. Now a month or so later, it's my preferred method. The cream could help ease the pain at the beginning though. Either way, don't give up.

5. blanka

blanka I will not eat my shaving products. Promise.

BTW, a cold water splash at the end of your shave can help a LOT with post-shave irritation. It really makes a difference for me to do this.

6. Irishgator

Irishgator New Member

How do you mix soap and cream?

I've been using the cold water... It helps.

I wonder if my face is feeling irritated from all of the hours in the cold wind this weekend watching the kids' sports...

7. awake2shave

awake2shave Crazy Sharp Melon Baller

Mantic`s videos on youtube were a big help to me hopefully it will do the same for you

Ryan Bales likes this.
  8. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Don't fret the brush probably will shed, but its nothing to freak out about given the price.

The VDH shouldn't be drying on your face, even though its a cheap soap (price wise not in quality) it is somewhat hydrating, I suggest you watch some video's or try my technique. Soak the brush in mildly warm water, not so hot it burns your skin, rinse the puck of soap with hot water and pour of the excess and hop in the shower.... Once you pop out of the shower and are ready to shave, squeeze out the bristles and head to the puck of soap, swirl on this for roughly 30 seconds, you don't need to mash the brush into the soap at all, light pressure and swirl; when you feel resistance, dip the tips of the semi loaded brush in your mug of water and head back to the puck of soap and swirl for another 3o seconds. After a minute of loading, your brush should be more than ready for your face, simply swirl in a light motion on your face, it should look like beaten egg whites, if it feels dry, dip the tips back into the mug of water and paint your face again; trust me this cheap little soap shaves just as well as highend $18 veggie based soaps.

Also since you're not using an aftershave, I suggest that if you have any left over lather in your brush, squeeze it into the palms of your hands and rub that back into your face, rub it in well and rinse with cold water after you're done cleaning up; left over lather makes a great cheap aftershave.

sotd1911.jpg

Yes, that's a Plisson drenched in VDH. ;)

GDCarrington and Irishgator like this.
  9. Irishgator

Irishgator New Member

Thanks for the tips. I found it as interesting that this morning I cut a mole that I NEVER cut using the Fusion. Only thing is the new brush and soap. I am using more water now, and getting a better lather. Perhaps just a coincidence.

I am noting a closer shave with just the new process.

Zilla likes this.
  10. coche1

coche1 Actively Wishing Member

That was my experience as well. I started out just like you have- first, I worked on being able to consistently get a good lather worked up but kept shaving with my Mach3. Then, as I felt more comfortable with my lathering abilities I switched over to the safety razor and haven't used my Mach3 since. My closest shave to-date has still been using traditional wet shaving lathered cream with my Mach3 Power razor, but with the DE razor I am able to shave every day without issue which I was never able to do with my cartridge razor.

11. Irishgator

Irishgator New Member

That is interesting that your closest shave was with the Mach3... What kind of blades and razor are you using now?

12. Irishgator

Irishgator New Member

Thanks for posting the video. I was surprised to see what he was considering to be too dry. Definitely gives me a new perspective for tomorrow!

Zilla likes this.
  13. awake2shave

awake2shave Crazy Sharp Melon Baller

if you get on youtube and just start looking you'll find all kinds of videos on wet shaving methods. mantic's videos were a big help to me when i started

14. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

+1

Kiss My Face is some good stuff. It also lathers well all by itself.

15. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

C.O. Bigelow in a tube is a very nice product and reasonably priced. I would check Mama bears, they have all kinds of soaps as well as TSD.

16. Irishgator

Irishgator New Member

Well, I have been reading quite a bit and I am amazed how much better my shaves are, and I haven't received my new razor yet! Still using my Fusion, but I have been using the brush and soap. I also just received Provaso and an Alum block.

I can't believe how great of a shave I am getting. I am doing two to three passes. Only complaint I have us that I feel like my skin is getting a little burned or raw. I am hoping that the new razor will reduce this some as there are less blades. Also, ordered a sample pack of some aftershave. Hoping that will help...

Any ways, the shower first and use of the brush are making an unbelievable difference! Looking forward to trying the new razor!

Ordered Jagger 89 with a back ordered handle... So I wait...

17. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I used shaving soap from Old Spice for the first time I did it. I must have done something wrong because that wasn't enjoyable at all. I'll give it another shot sometime.

18. kaiser

kaiser Member

I've read good very good things about Palmolive (Euro) Soap Sticks. It's very cheap in UK and not a lot more expensive from internet vendors. Definitely worth a try.
    One stick is on it's way to me :drool: