Soap in a jar vs puck

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by COMPNOR, Mar 10, 2017.

1. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

Take Stirling for example. What's the difference between buying the jar vs the puck? Is the jar a croap? Can you lather directly on it like a puck or are you supposed to scoop it out and use a bowl?

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

LOOT, crackstar and Bama Samurai like this.
  2. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

The puck is meant to be a refill but you can certainly put it in any container you want or even put it in a push up container and use it as a shave stick. I believe they are both the same consistency. Also, you get more soap when you buy the tub.

3. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

I put pucks in a cup or bowl. With tubs, I load up my brush directly. But, there is typically no difference unless the maker says so. Proraso comes to mind. Their tubs are soaps, but they offer the same stuff as a cream in a tube. Stirling (like, many modern soap makers; Mickey Lee, Wet Shaving Products, Soap Smooth, etc.) is generally a little softer than, say, bath soap whether is in a puck or a tub, but I guess that might make it a croap. Though, I don't think it is that soft. Pretty sure its the same stuff, though.

LOOT and crackstar like this.
  4. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Except for my Aramis and Col. Conk, all my soaps came in their own tub(Razorock, Route 66 and soon Cella).

danbuter and crackstar like this.
  5. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

For Stirling the consistency is similar in either format, kind of like a firm croap. I think they just fill the tubs directly vs molding them as they do for the pucks. Really it just depends on whether you want it in a tub or would rather use your own container.

6. wildcatsfan10

wildcatsfan10 Member

For stirling it's the same cost per oz and you get the tub for $.50 with the larger size.

Regardless which you pick it's a good deal on great soap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crackstar likes this.
  7. COMPNOR

I know it's good. Or rather I'm sure it is. I bought some sample pucks. I also bought some other samples from Dr. Jon's and they come in a tub not puck. And I notice that a lot of artisans have like a tub option or a puck option but didn't know if there were any differences.

Thanks all for the responses.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

RyX, crackstar and Linuxguile like this.
  8. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

You're so right!

Linuxguile likes this.
  9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The only difference is whether the manufacturer pours the soap in a tub or a mold. Where you really get differences is when the soap is triple milled vs. French milled (milled once) vs. an Italian soft soap.

RetLEO-07 likes this.
  10. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Either I would have to deal with the green containers or buy pucks and put them into my beautiful blue ones!!!
    IMG_3680.JPG

ninjack and Terry Williams like this.
  11. COMPNOR

Where did you get those blue tubs?

12. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Pucks are great if you like to use Old Spice shaving mugs.

I happen to know a guy who has at least 40 of them.

13. McGrande

McGrande Well-Known Member

Pucks or mugs?

John Beeman likes this.
  14. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

As @Fly2High mentioned above, If the soap doesn't come in a tub, I put the puck in tins I buy. And if possible, I re-use the labels onto the tins.

IMG_0753.jpg

15. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

that would be Old Spice mugs

...maybe I've got 50 - I haven't counted in a while

16. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I don't know where he got them, but I know they are available at www.specialtybottle.com

17. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

When I buy the pucks, I just press them into mugs and use it that way. The Stirling soaps are the same consistency whether as a puck or in a tub.

Terry Williams likes this.
  18. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

They also have them on amazon if you search for 8oz plastic jar

19. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

As in the first photo below - you load your brush directly from the tub. This happens to be a Stirling soap. Then some folks will directly do a "face lather". I prefer doing a bowl lather as seen in the photo and then apply the larger volume of soap to my face. The second photo below is a "puck" which I store in a 1 cup pyrex glass storage container that comes with a lid. I follow the same routine as before.
    Coniferous Soap.jpg
    Nov 28, 2016.jpg

Terry Williams and Linuxguile like this.
  20. COMPNOR

Thanks.

Sara-s likes this.