Solar Eclipse

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Queen of Blades, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Charlie,

Hope you two have a great experience!

Most humans never see this. We are actually going to a farm that is in my friends family to view. It's NW of Hopkinsville a bit.

I am very excited to be able to do this with him and his family. He's 74 and has been an immeasurable blessing to my immature self. He never had a child, only stepkids he met as grown. His family treats me as if I were his son, homemade celiac friendly cookies and the whole nine. Visiting western Kentucky is always great. Love your state!

wristwatchb and PLAla like this.
  2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Exactly right.

3. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

this is me...and all the campsites around me have been sold out for over a year...also our state is expected to almost double in population for that 1 day....I DONT GET IT??????

Paul76 likes this.
  4. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I saw a total eclipse when I was a kid. It gets dark, but it is a weird kind of dark. The sun is blacked out, but there is a dimly illuminated halo around the black circle covering the sun. This halo provides a little light, so it is not pitch black. It is kind of like a dimly moonlit night, but the light is a somewhat different color. It was a trip. We were sitting in class and all of a sudden it began to get dark in the middle of the day. It appeared that nobody was expecting the eclipse, not even the teachers.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  5. riffin

riffin Active Member

I think it's every 18 months. And some of those are annular. That's when the moon is at or near its apogee, farthest from the Earth. The disk of the sun is slight larger then the moon.

I should add, I'm talking about total eclipses. Some eclipses are partial even at the center of the path of the shadow. That is, the moon appears higher or lower in the sky than the sun. This is because the orbit of the moon around the Earth is not in the same plane as the orbit of the Earth around the moon.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    Bama Samurai and Col C like this.
  6. riffin

riffin Active Member

BTW, there will be another visible in the US in 2024.

RaZorBurn123 and Bama Samurai like this.
  7. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

My work just let us know we are off for the day, due to the amount of people expected. So now if they can only postpone my week of school!

IDuck likes this.
  8. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

What happened in '94 wasn't a Total Solar Eclipse, it was an Annular. I remember that one, they wouldn't let us go outside during class to see it we had to stay in doors.

I'll be stepping outside my front door and looking up. I'm too worried about gridlock to go anywhere, so I should get a 1-2 minutes out of it.

9. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

That's the way I and some relatives(oops, some relatives and I!) viewed an eclipse back in the early 70's.....through a box.

Brought to you by every consumable object on the face of the earth, which means a commercial might cut off the sighting.

RyX likes this.
  10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

After the Heidi bowl, I doubt the networks will let that happen.

Paul Turner likes this.
  11. COMPNOR

I'd be more worried and annoyed with a play by play during the eclipse

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Paul Turner likes this.
  12. swarden43

Don't watch the Weather Channel, then.
    They already teased for that.

13. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Quite true....but some announcers haven't learned from Heidi....two NHL Seasons ago, Doc Emerick was talking and joking on the air, which resulted in his completely missing a goal being scored.

14. COMPNOR

Couldn't even if I wanted to. No cable.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

15. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

This morning on tv, they showed the expected cloud coverage across the nation for next Monday. Many areas where folks have already spent large sums of money to rent rooms, fly, drive et cetera will be cloudy. Oh well.

16. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I've been doing my eclipse homework, I'll have 79.9% of darkness, I'm very excited about it!!

17. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Dr's office closed for it ..... pleeeease this is getting silly. :angry032:

18. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Here in Port Townsend, Washington it will be at 92%. They have already announced the closing of local schools and warning people about driving south to Oregon, where the eclipse will be 100%, because of the expected heavy traffic and people not paying attention to driving during there eclipse. Hospitals have cancelled elective surgery so more doctors and nurses are available for emergencies and additional police are being called in. Agree with Enrico above - this is getting really silly.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  19. swarden43

Agree. Even stories on the news about how it's going to affect your pets. The whole story was nothing but "might's." They have no clue. What may be worse are the pet owners in such a panic that it warranted the story! Sheesh!

20. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I am incredibly jealous, and wish that I had the opportunity to witness the event. Fortunately it will be the most recorded eclipse in history so far :p