SoS: October 9, 2017 - October 15, 2017

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Yehuda D, Oct 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

SOTD: Custom 6/8" French-point razor from Brian Brown, Valobra menthol Crema di Sapone, custom Jayaruh 2-band badger brush and Fine 'Snake Bite' aftershave tonic to finish. Brisk & chilly shave for a lovely cool morning. Have a blessed Tuesday, gents!

[​IMG]

2. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Thank you!

clint64 likes this.
  3. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Shower Soap - Mrs. Meyers Clean Day Lemon-Verbena (Bar Soap)
    [​IMG]

Razor - DaveOcean33 "Atlas"
    Blade - BiC Chrome-Platinum
    Shave Brush - Gentleman's Hangar Synthetic
    Shave Stand by Robert Evans on Etsy. Must request custom project to order.
    Shave Soap - Mama Bear's "Bounty"
    Preshave Oil - Lather & Wood's "Unscented"
    Aftershave - Country Club for Men "1837"
    Post Shave Balm - Retseliney Hyaluronic Acid Face Serum
    Deodorant - Organic Essence "Lemon Tea-Tree Mint"
    Fragrance - Creed Royal Water

BiC Chrome-Platinum is again, the only blade to deliver a good shave in a difficult razor (previously the BiC CP shaved perfect in the Gillette Old-Type). This time I got a great shave with zero irritation from the Dave Ocean 33, a razor that always tears up my neck. No raw parts on my neck. Gentlemen, I believe I have found the best overall blade for 'me'. The BiC Chrome-Platinum. It's sharp but shaves smooth. I know some people will say this difference is in my head, but I got no red near my Adam's apple on either side and that is the marker for a smooth blade for me.

So far, the Wilkinson Sword has given virtually identical results as the BiC Chrome-Platinum on the aggressive Old-Type. So, the Wilkinson Sword is a blade I have had great results with in difficult razors as well.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    poppi, Yehuda D, jimjo1031 and 20 others like this.
  4. billdog2

billdog2 Well-Known Member

10/10/2017 Tuesday

Razor: Gillette SS
    Blade: Personna Comfort Coated (3)
    Lather: Proraso Green
    Brush: VDH Badger
    Pre Shave: Homemade
    AS: Brut Splash On
    Newspaper Date: Feb. 2,1944

I guess I just had to get used to the SS, I had not used it for a long time. I`m starting to get great shaves again. Two passes, WTG/ATG, with clean ups between passes. A cold water rinse, and a little Brut. Smooth as silk all the way. What else can I say with a BBS. Happy camper. God Bless and happy shaving to all.

Bill
    100_3965.JPG 100_3982.JPG 100_3983.JPG 100_3984.JPG 100_3985.JPG 100_3986.JPG

5. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I’m glad things are getting better for you Bill.

sdguero, clint64 and billdog2 like this.
  6. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I'm still trying to get over the tragic news I heard yesterday about Shawna. Here's my post for tomorrow.

Wednesday morning:

Razorock Plissoft 26mm Monster
    Super Speed/Astra day 3
    Golddachs Spezial SS
    Lubriderm Moisturizer
    Sir Canada Cedar AS Splash

I'm sorry for my lack of enthusiasm but what happened over this weekend left me shattered. Anyway, the Golddachs Spezial from Germany is a very elegant soap which I bought a long time ago. It smells so nice - a very classic, old-school European scent, tons of rich, stable lather and a comfortable post-shave feeling. I must have this Canada Cedar aftershave at least ten years, if not longer. It has a great scent and I get a lot of compliments every time I wear it.

7. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

Ezra, glad you enjoyed my post.
    I heard about the Pacific Razor in the Hot Deals section of the forum.
    It was originally seen at a Dollar Tree Store - for $1.
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/dollar-tree-1-safety-razor.57499/
    Several other members here have purchased it, so others are posting about it too.

I am a sucker for a deal, and eventually found it at a local Big Lots store for $1.50.
    As far as Barbasol is concerned, it has become a recent obsession of mine.
    In recent years, I had lost perspective on the canned shave creams for the most part, having neglected them in pursuit of other soaps and creams.
    Barbasols.jpg Pacific_DE_razor_Barbasol.jpg Pacific_Razor_Barbasol_Pacific_Rush.jpg
    I have to say that the members of this forum continually challenge my status quo and motivate me to re-examine my assumptions. That is a good thing.

Thanks for commenting!

8. billdog2

billdog2 Well-Known Member

Thank you mrchick, that means a lot to me. God Bless.

Bill

sdguero, Dansco, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  9. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

RAZOR: Sabi Gen 1 TTO - (4 inch brass handle, medium weight, Gunmetal finish) - my most aggressive TTO - maybe
    BLADE: DORCO ST-300 Platinum - * shim added under blade - 3,4, 0r 5 uses of this blade - I don't count
    SHAVE CREAM: The Art of Shaving - Lavender Essential Oil - for Sensitive Skin - bowl lather
    BRUSH: SheaMoisture Ultimate Shave Brush - black badger knot. Plenty of rich lather for multiple passes.
    PRE-SHAVE: used bloom water from AOS Cream - I floated some water on the top of the cream.
    POST SHAVE: Hot water rinse
    AFTER SHAVE: Clubman Lilac Vegetal
    SABI_Gen1_SheaMoisture_AOS_Lavender.jpg
    I considered the SABI Gen 1 to be my most aggressive TTO... until I acquired a PACIFIC TTO DE from Big Lots.
    I wanted to use the SABI today, to compare to yesterday's use of the PACIFIC razor. Verdict was inconclusive.

I got a very nice 3 pass BBS shave this morning. No touch ups, no issues, smooth, efficient shave.
    Is the SABI still my MOST AGGRESSIVE TTO? Hard to say.
    I used 3 passes (no touchups) today vs 2 passes (with touchups) yesterday
    The shave was smoother feeling today - a very subjective thing, but very evident. The shim may have that effect.
    Could be the difference in the blades. Could be the different shave preparation. Or both.

Both shaves were enjoyable and efficient. I like that.
    The SABI is my 1st TTO razor, and I think a very handsome one in the gunmetal finish. A black beauty!
    The SABI also has a longer 4" handle and considerably heavier. I like that a lot.
    For today, I will keep the SABI as my most aggressive TTO. No doubt it is my most enjoyable TTO.

We'll see whether that remains. Only more shaves will tell.

10. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

John & Wm Ragg Napoleon 15-16 AOS MNSHL SM AOS.jpeg This big Napoleon is one of my favorites razors. Today I couldn’t wait for the shave to end. Nice result but getting there was tough. Definitely in need of a refresh. :happy088:

Hot water preparation
    AOS Lavender PSO
    Mike’s Natural Soaps Hungarian Lavender
    Shavemac 2-Band Silvertip
    John & Wm Ragg Napoleon 15/16
    AOS Lavender After Shave Balm

Happy shaving - Karl

11. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Here it is for Wednesday's Shave:

prep-Nivea 4 Men Bodywash(Energy)*
    shave-Rise Super Foam Regular
    razor-Pivot Nation from Gillette Sensor Deuce DisposeABLE**
    A.S.-Gillette Series Cool Wave

*-
    fresh new bottle
    **-for those who don't yet know, there's no brand "Pivot Nation"-that's just me being silly.

12. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Thanks Jim. Have a great day my friend. ☺️

Norcalnewb, Yehuda D and clint64 like this.
  13. Burak Kucukler

Burak Kucukler Well-Known Member

14. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

Ikon El Jefe with Schick Proline #7
    Deluxe Shaving 30mm Silvertip
    PannaCrema Labdano
    Humphreys Alcoholado Maravilla
    Nivea 2in1 lotion/balm
    L' Eau Bleue D'Issey Pour Homme by Issey Miyake
    IMG_1627.JPG
    A good 2 pass plus touch ups for a refreshed, smooth and clean result. Everything worked together beautifully and the brush is starting to come around and for the price, it was a heck of a deal for under $50. The Issey Miyake edt is a very nice semi-aquatic with a bit of citrus and black pepper notes for a nice masculine kick that has good staying power. Have a great evening and shaves Gents.... :happy088:

15. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Squeezed in 'consecutive' days shave, after yesterday's, since I had soaps to use! I never usually do that. Always said my skin was too sensitive.

20171010_222145-2288x1715.jpg

Bulldog Face Wash
    Omega Pro49 Red
    D R Harris Arlington soap
    Gillette New LC
    Polsilver SI
    A little alum, and
    Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm

Great shave. As close to BBS as I've ever got. I think I can feel about 3 (very closely sliced) hairs under my jaw on one side. Enjoy your day (and shave) people!

16. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Razor: Blackbird OC Delta Echo Razor Finish
    Blade: Personna Tungsten 74 (2)
    Brush: 30 Day Crew w/ LS 2 Band
    Soap: Cold River Soap Works Jeff's Soap
    A/S: Folsom & Co. Shambala

9 10 17.jpg

17. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

Excellent Pic Doug, how do you like the blackbird shave wise? Style didn't catch my fancy for some reason but curious about the shave quality. How does it compare to the Timeless which is my modern go to razor.

18. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thanks Guy. :happy088: I found the Blackbird to be a little on the mild side, however, the Delta Echo Razor finish made the razor more aggressive to my liking. I get great shaves with the Blackbird now.

jimjo1031, sdguero, mrchick and 3 others like this.
  19. ram57

Thanks for the info Doug

clint64 and Douglas Carey like this.
  20. ram57

Wednesday SOTD

[​IMG]

Razor: Feather AS-D2 Steampunk
    Blade: Super Iridium (D8)
    Brush WildWestBrushworks 22mm Faux Horsehair
    Scuttle: Woodhead Medium