SoS: September 7, 2015 - September 13, 2015

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

Monday 07.09.2015

I have bad news, bad news for me at least.
    Last time I used the cream from TSD my shave suffered from a bad razor and blade combination.
    The shave was less than stellar and the result thereafter.

Today I wanted to give it another go and picked the same gear as yesterday's shave. The only exception was the cream and my own homemade "brush" the Sithspawn. :)

It did not take too long to discover that something was rotten north of Denmark. First, my brush has apparently started suffering from male pattern baldness. It lost a lot of hair during this shave and I am sure that I can see the hairline receding. But the biggest sign and the real bad news was that the cream does not thrive in the Norseland.

Maybe it's me, maybe it's my water or maybe it's Maybelline. I don't know what it is, but the cream proved to be difficult to lather. To counter this effect I had to use twice or thrice the amount of cream that I usually would and the lather looked thin and not that great.

Luckily, as the "wife" can attest to, looks can be deceiving. The lather proved to be more than capable to shave with. Not the slickest I've used, but slick enough to give me a satisfactory shave

The Shave Den Wheat Shaving Cream is a well lauded cream that receives nothing but praise every time I read about it. That it does not work that well for me is a classic case of YMMV or just lack of technique on my part.
    But it still makes me sad.

Razor: Edwin Jagger de89
    Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
    Brush: The Sithspawn
    Cream: The Shave Den Wheat Shaving Cream
    Aftershave: Fitjarsoap Kjakesmurning

[​IMG]

Slow Joe, vwp528, poppi and 23 others like this.
  2. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

It's almost Fall. Very nice set up! :happy088::happy088:

vwp528, Rufus T., celestino and 4 others like this.
  3. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

Back to the Parker 99r today.
    TSD London Type (getting better at building lather, finally)
    Blade Family Dollar Brand, Vietnam made (I think)
    Brush: Semogue Boar
    A/S: WH+MBomb, Then Ogallala Bay Rum w/ Sandalwood and cedar... MMmm.

Blade was sharp enough, but not real smooth. I saw them a few weeks ago when I popped into FD for something-another. Figured 'why not?'.

Decent shave. Will give the blade at least an attempt at a second shave tomorrow.

Slow Joe, vwp528, poppi and 20 others like this.
  4. Boojum1

Love Seville. Excellent scent!

vwp528, Rufus T., ram57 and 3 others like this.
  5. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

Sithspawn! Glad you got a handle on brush making, sorry about the knot:D

vwp528, Rufus T., Smoothy and 5 others like this.
  6. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

It is probably just a phase. It has been dabbling with the light side lately and that's probably why this happened. Just look at Yoda :)

vwp528, Smoothy, ram57 and 5 others like this.
  7. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

One thing that I have noticed since I started using this new Razor set Up. I have not had any Razor Burn of any kind and I have not needed to use the After shave balm for that. I have noticed that only due to the humidity here in So. Cal. aka Mexifornia I have been using it due to the cooling effect that it has. But I have definitely not needed to use it for any Razor Burn.

8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

•Rolls
    •unknown shave soap w/Omega brush

2 pass near-BBS but needed to use the Trac II around the neckage area.

Lucky Tiger after shave lotion...if there's one a/s product I'd recommend to anyone, it's this.

Slow Joe, vwp528, poppi and 21 others like this.
  9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    sod150908.JPG
    Tuesday's
    ZCOLDWATER.jpg

Dove Men Face Wash
    TOBS Lavender
    Jayaruh #1 Silver Tip
    Schick J2
    Personna SS
    CWR, Asma Alum Block
    Thayers Lemon WH
    Aqua Velva

The TOBS Lavender Shaving Cream face-lathered well with my Jayaruh #1 Silver Tip Badger brush. Two passes with my Schick J2 razor and a Personna SS Injector blade gave me a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse, alum block, and a final cold water rinse, I finished off with Thayers Lemon WH and then Aqua Velva after shave. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
    Slow Joe, vwp528, poppi and 19 others like this.
  10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That is still one of my favorite brushes.

vwp528, Rufus T., Norseman and 4 others like this.
  11. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

The Crazy Ivan in SEptember!
    September 7

Razor - RazoRock TTO
    Blade - [​IMG] (2)
    Brush - Vie-Long 12705, the Horse
    Soap - Tabac
    Post - Cold Water, Alum, Nivea

Well the calendar says use the EJ DE89l and Blendax today. The calendar can shove it. Not going back to that blade so let's Crazy Ivan over to the Razo Rock TTO razor and a Treet Platinum blade. Second shave on the blade since I used it once in the tournament of blades. I don't give the RRTTO enough love and Treet Platinum has always been a good shave. So why not eh?

The horse lathered up the Tabac well as always. Great scent to start a short day at work. And, the feeling of that 35/65 horse was just marvelous. Grabbed the razor and went after it. Very smooth, comfortable, close, no problems at all. This razor really feels heavy in the hand so it's no problem keeping pressure off. I love the fact it's a modern brass razor. I really need to work it in more. Finished three passes DFS with very little irritation as the Treet Platinum did its normal super job. Off to a six hour day of convincing people to buy tomorrow. Yeah, that's how working holidays rolls! Happy Labor Day!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Slow Joe, vwp528, poppi and 21 others like this.
  12. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

image.jpg
    I'm being seduced by the dark side!

vwp528, Tdmsu, Rufus T. and 13 others like this.
  13. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

You know I know folks that swear, by using Stirling Shaving Soaps, and I know folks that swear on the kids eyes that MWF and for that matter TSD Shaving Cream or Soap is the best hands down. I use several different brands, and I really think that it all boils down to your pre-shave prep. If I was my face with Dove Soap I get a decent Shave, if I use Neutrogena pres shave soap I get a decent shave. If I use Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap, I get a decent shave. It all depends on how clean your pre shave prep ends up. Just my 2 cents.

vwp528, RaZorBurn123, Tdmsu and 6 others like this.
  14. Boojum1

Your car is double parked!

th-5.jpg

vwp528, RaZorBurn123, Tdmsu and 10 others like this.
  15. Boojum1

vwp528, Rufus T., ObiDon and 4 others like this.
  16. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

vwp528, Bobcat, poppi and 22 others like this.
  17. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Tuesday's shiver session:

Neutrogena Men Facial Wash :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Large Horsehair Barbershop
    Super Speed/Derby day 2
    Stirling Glacial Spearmint SS :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Stirling Glacial Wintergreen AS Balm :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Stirling Glacial Wintergreen WH :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Old Spice Cologne

Believe me guys, I'd love to use my other soaps and creams, or at least some of them but it's so bloody hot here that I need all the menthol freezing I could get in order to be comfortable The Glacial Spearmint soap has such a beautiful scent which along with the matching bath soap version really fills the bathroom. This soap lathers in seconds and so rich and creamy with a menthol effect which can give a penguin or a polar bear frostbite. The bath soap version has that same powerful menthol feeling with awesome skincare just like all the Stirling products. The Glacial Wintergreen balm and witch hazel cannot be beaten for their menthol freeze and skin-friendliness. The Derby blades work so well for me even if I have to shave fast. ;) :D

Primotenore, vwp528, Bobcat and 20 others like this.
  18. Smoothy

Smoothy Well-Known Member

Good morning, everyone.
    Tuesday's shave consisted of Musgo pre-shave oil, Jack Black shave cream, Nightdivers 24mm synthetic Woodiest shave brush, Koraat 8/8 half hollow Meatchopper in Ebony scales, Alum and then Musgo Real Classic after shave.
    Very enjoyable shave resulting in very smooth cheeks and whatnot.. ;)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
    ObiDon, Primotenore, vwp528 and 18 others like this.
  19. figment714

figment714 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Menthol Monday, September 7, 2015

Cool shower
    Prep: Homemade Peppermint PSO
    Brush: B&B Essential Boar
    Soap: Stirling Frozen Tundra
    Razor: Weber Wave
    Blade: Voskhod (2)

20. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

SHAVE OF THE DAY

RAZOR: GILLETTE TECH/PROBAK
    BLADE: POL-SILVER (3RD SHAVE)
    BRUSH: OMEGA S SYNTHETIC
    SOAP: TIKI INTO THE FORREST

Sorry no pic today. I wasn't planning on shaving today but I was around the family so I wanted to look as good as possible. Just did a quick 2 pass shave. The Tiki soap has no problem making a slick lather and has a very unique woodsy scent. I am really starting to like these blades a lot, they seem very smooth but give a close shave. Hope everyone had a great shave!!