Splashes vs balms vs Alum Block

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by LevelupShaves, Apr 20, 2017.

1. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

Hello all,
    I'm relatively new to traditional shaving and wanted to know how do you feel about after shaves. Are splashes or balms better can you combine them with an alum block? What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SHAVEWIZARD420 and Screwtape like this.
  2. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Hi, first welcome to TSD, if nobody has already told you that. There is a Welcome Center section you can introduce yourself in if you are so inclined.

Second, if you are still experimenting with shave equipment of various kinds, you might want to drop into the 30 Day Crew over in the Shave School section. Lots of both new, sort of experienced, and highly experienced shavers discussing all aspects of their daily shaves and trading tips so everyone gets the best out of their equipment. And you are free to use and discuss any kind of non-electric razor -- we have members using and trading tips on everything from cartridges to straight razors. Join in! (I would classify myself as a middling decent shaver with everything from traditional DE to injectors and old Gem-style single edges now, btw, after joining the 30DC as a fairly incompetent bloodletter last October.)

Third, your actual question:

1. Alum can be used with either splashes or balms or witch hazel, which is sort of a middle option. Generally, most of us who use an alum block first rinse off the leftover lather, then apply the alum to the wet face, let it sit for a bit (I clean my equipment at this point), and then rinse it off again. The face is then dried and the final product(s) applied to the now alum-free face.

The alum does a few things. The big one is it lets you know right away how your shaving technique was, because places where you scraped or nicked will give you a bit of sting. At the same time, it usually seals off any small nicks or weepers, leaving only any persistently bleeding cuts to require a styptic pencil. Finally, the alum kind of tones and tightens your skin. Quite a few people actually quit using alum again once they get to the point where most shaves are free of irritation.

2. Those of us who use witch hazel usually put it on as a healing balm after rinsing off the alum or in place of the alum altogether. Then let it dry. Any aftershave splash or balm can go on top of the WH as even the "scented" Thayers witch hazels have such light scents that they disappear completely once dry and do not interfere.

3. I have and use both balms and splashes myself, as do many others. Balms tend to be heavy on the healing and skin hydration ingredients. They are great for days when the razorburn factor is high. Also for use anytime your skin needs a bit of extra moisturizing. Splashes usually have alcohol in them so they tend to be more drying. Nice for a refreshing tingle or burn on the face or a chilling menthol when it's hot and also good for when the skin seems oily. As far as I can tell, most shavers on the forum seem to have both balms and splashes and switch between them depending on the season, the weather or the day.

A lot of people also try to match scents of soaps or creams to balms or splashes.

In short, the answer is "get them all and mix and match at random".

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    Taipan, brit, jtspartan and 3 others like this.
  3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Welcome to the show.

I basically never use a balm. Just splash. I also have never used the alum. I use witch hazel for my touch up pass. I clean up the left over lather, dry my face, put the witch hazel on and go through my touch up pass. Rinse my face again dry it then put on my aftershave.

Screwtape likes this.
  4. Screwtape

I would add that unlike @wchnu, I almost always use alum as I like the tightening feel it gives. On the other hand, like him, I almost always use witch hazel as well. Roughly half the time, the witch hazel is the only postshave product I use - no splash or balm. The rest of the time, when I use something else as well, it probably splits as a splash about two to three times as often as a balm (because witch hazel is a major ingredient in a lot of balms and I am already using it anyway.)

wchnu likes this.
  5. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

RyX likes this.
  7. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Hello and welcome

8. LevelupShaves

Thanks everyone any favorites as far as Splashes go I have some Blades Grim smolder coming in today that will be my first splash

9. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I splash then I balm.
    Some favorites... RazoRock, Fine, Stirling

Tdmsu and Screwtape like this.
  10. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

@Screwtape stole my thunder. Good advice. The only thing I would add is some people don't like the "burn" from A/S. Have fun checking them all out. West Coast Shaving has an after shave sampler you may want to look at.

Tdmsu and Screwtape like this.
  11. Screwtape

Well, for a balm, as a pure balm to fix up razorburn (or windburn or sunburn), Nivea Sensitive from your drugstore is about as good as it gets and cheap too.

For splashes, CHSeifert, who is a member on a couple other boards, mainly The Shave Nook, IIRC, has assembled a small but select collection of what he swears are absolutely superior aftershaves and colognes. At last count, he had roughly 300... :) For that matter, he had a matching collection of truly excellent shaving soaps and creams that was just about as big... :) In other words, it's a huge field.

In some ways, it's more useful to describe a particular kind of scent you like and then ask for opinions. As an example, if you like a Bay Rum, then I would say that Pinaud's Clubman Virgin Islands Bay Rum is a classic, and Krampert's, Captain's Choice, and Ogalalla Bay Rum all have differing but good versions too.

RyX likes this.
  12. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

+1 on the VIBR! Mmmmm Bay Rum

EnglishChannel likes this.
  13. LevelupShaves

I'll have to try some Bay Rum I've heard a lot of great things about it

14. brit

brit in a box

i like witch hazel and a/s the best.i use alum once in a whule ,balm rarely.used balm more as a newbie .i leave proraso white pre shave on for a while during my prep.between that and the good shave soaps/creams we have today i find i need little more than aftershave. nivea men face cream once in a while during the winter months.

15. LevelupShaves

Thanks everyone for the suggestions I've picked up a few after shaves now I got some captains choice Bay rum smolder from blades grim and Shea moisture tea tree after shave

brit likes this.
  16. RyX

RyX DoH!

I purchase most of my splashes locally and find the Pinaud line to be high in alcohol for antiseptic power. There is a company online that sells a sampler. Good news is it comes with THE VEG!
    My post shave routine usually includes a rinse and rub with an alum bar. I leave it on as I pick up my equipment to set up my SOTD photo. A quick cool water rinse and dry, followed by alcohol splash. If I'm feeling any irritation a balm or lotion is called for. Cremo makes an inexpensive product that works as well as Clinique ($20+ for smaller bottle).
    Since everyone's skin & skills are different this will always be a YOMV topic.

brit and Screwtape like this.
  17. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

You can combine alum block, afershave, and balm if you choose. The alum block seems to cause more irritation than help in any way, do use the block on occasion but usually just for sealing up any cuts or nicks.

Some alcohol can be drying to the skin so many people use witch hazel first, or a balm afterwards. Others have no problem with just the splash. You will have to experiment and see what works best for you.

RyX, brit and Screwtape like this.
  18. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

I like the alum block to see how well my shave went. But I also use Witch Hazel for my touch up passes. It works wonders! As for splashes, there are some Milk options *cough*TSD*cough*

I ordered some Energy Aftershave Milk and it was delivered over the weekend. Used it tonight, and wow! I am intoxicated my the scent. Love it!

LevelupShaves likes this.
  19. LevelupShaves

I can tell I saw this and your other thread you might have just talked me into it

20. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

TSD makes some good stuff. From the soaps to witch hazel, to the aftershaves... and you're supporting this wonderful place.

LevelupShaves likes this.