"Standard Razor"

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by JRod22, Feb 2, 2014.

1. ArNav

ArNav Member

As I've said, this razor is very peculiar, I can't really straightforwardly compare it to any specific razor, but I think it's not less efficient than Weber, and clearly more efficient than the EJ.

KnockOut Shave likes this.
  2. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Ok, thanks!

3. Inverted

Inverted Member

Just ordered a jet black. Excited to get it!

JRod22 and KnockOut Shave like this.
  4. iguanad

iguanad New Member

Bespoke Post box of the month:
    Standard Razor in gray or black
    NY Shaving Company Shave Cream
    Alum Block
    Blades
    Barber Towel

$45 for members
    $55 for non members

You can anyways join then quit

I thought those interested in this razor might consider this a good opportunity to try it. The box contents are worth around $100 sold individually.

5. iguanad

iguanad New Member

The box is called Barber.

6. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Not a bad deal at all for a $70 razor + extra stuff for a total cost of $45.

So to "tempt" my fellow No Buy Julyers;
    [​IMG]

JRod22, Adonis and Omelmad like this.
  7. jeraldgordon

No temptation at all - I said up front that if the Standard Razor became available again during the month of July I would have to get one - and so I have. Purchased, and proud of it!
    :bounce017::bounce015::bounce017::bounce015::bounce017::bounce015:

Darkbulb and Omelmad like this.
  8. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Did you end up doing the bespoke post deal? Congrats on getting the razor you really wanted, something tells me that box offer will be sold out real fast

jeraldgordon and Omelmad like this.
  9. jeraldgordon

Yes, I went with the Bespoke deal. The Standard Razor in black is $79 on their website. Quite a good deal at $45 (55 without Bespoke membership). The accessories don't interest me much, although I will enjoy trying the cream. It's a great deal without ANY accessories. However, it is being paid for by the sale of others of my razors, so you see, even here I am in the spirit of No Buy July - enjoying what I have, and winnowing it down to what I truly want, while putting the rest ( I have 50+ razors) back into circulation.

Darkbulb likes this.
  10. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I have that exact alum block and it's a nice sized chunk in a convenient box :)

jeraldgordon likes this.
  11. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

BigMark likes this.
  12. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    Goodbye No-buy July.
    I had been eyeballing the black model for a long time. Too good a deal to pass up.
    (... and I never committed to the "No-buy July." Sadly, I didn't trust myself to go on record. <sigh> AND... this preempts the shopping cart I have saved at Italian Barber.)

I think I have 3.5 of the 7 signs of addiction (listed >here<).

Thanks for the tip, iguanad! :happy088:

13. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

That is a very nice deal.

TrĂ¥kigt att jag bor i Sverige...

14. rxd

rxd New Member

Thanks for the heads up. I just ordered one also...

15. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

Yeah that's a heck of a deal. I subscribe to bespoke and almost took that box this month but I already have the razor. If you don't almost too good a deal to pass up.

16. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    My Bespoke box arrived yesterday. I dropped an Astra SP into my new black Standard Razor and used a known shave soap, rather than trying the cream that came in the box.

After a single shave, I am very impressed with this razor! It is almost a study of contrasts. Nice beefy sized handle, but quite light in the hand because it is made of aluminum. Smooth finish all over, but very grippy because of the matte anodized coating.

I wouldn't say it has a lot of blade exposure, but it sure isn't hiding the blade either. The blade gap is similarly "in the middle," clearly not small, but not too large. (Did Goldilocks help design this thing?) The shaving angle sweet spot was easy to find and pretty forgiving, too.

From the first stroke I noticed that the Standard is an efficient razor. So far, the more efficient razors I have tried were the more aggressive. However, I don't think the Standard felt aggressive at all! It is way more aggressive than a Krona or Star DE, but getting a bad shave would take effort. I suspect that it might even do well as a beginner's razor.

I may need several shaves before I can describe the handling, but the beefy body and light weight may just have to be experienced to be understood (think "approaching injector-level handling"). The surprisingly good grip lets you know exactly where the razor is on your face, but the light weight somehow makes it easier to "go light" while keeping good contact and controlling the angle. The audio feedback is quite good, too.

I made my usual two passes. However, the Standard was light enough that I added some touchup strokes into the second pass. I usually leave touchups for the end, preferring to focus on completing the pass. Even though this razor was new to me, I knew I could safely do it.

After my second pass, I usually address only the problem spots. I checked first and noticed the problem areas were pretty good. Rather than hitting just the remnant spots of micro-roughness, I went with a full lather. I don't think I've executed such a light pass before! It was so light, I don't count it as a full pass. I ended with a very respectable BBS.

My
    post shave splash burned about "in the middle" of my usual shaves. On my way to work, I had none of the sometimes-tightness-that-is-almost-burn-but-really-isn't that can last for a half hour or so. Yes, it was a good shave.

I really like the Standard Razor. It holds a middle-of-the-road position without wavering. It holds its position so well that I think anyone could learn to make this one of the most versatile DE razors. It's a keeper!

17. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Methinks this might be a good razor if you shave your noggin.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  18. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

maltedmilk likes this.
  19. NyquistRate

NyquistRate New Member

First post. Thanks for this sale info and to the original poster for the review. I've been using a Parker for 8 months while looking for a better long-term solution. I had the EJ 89 (Barley) in my sights but decided to get the Weber classic instead. Well, Weber was moving and not shipping orders which led me to the Standard Razors. This great deal pushed me over the edge to try the black Standard.

20. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Did anyone receive their package yet - and if so, how did they like it?