Steppin Out: Slim Adjustable

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BeeGee, Feb 23, 2015.

1. BeeGee

BeeGee Active Member

My first DE was an eBay bought 72 Gillette Knack. First few shaves were rough and slow, but after I got used to it it was great. Way better than my cartridges ever were.

After getting hooked on all of this and reading the great reviews on the EJ89, I picked up one of those shortly after it came out. I used it for a few weeks, but realized how much more I liked the smooth effortless of the Knack. I shelved the EJ for a long time.

Eventually I went back to the EJ89, and it was as smooth as the Knack.... Eureka! My technique had stepped up it's game. That led me to my next venture: an adjustable.

After some research and searching, I settled on either a Fatboy or a Slim. The Fatboy's were going for 40-50+ more than the Slims were and with reviews on both saying that they were extremely comparable to each other, I went with a Slim.

After much anticipation, it arrived today

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And my small collection:

[​IMG]

After a thorough cleaning, it was time for battle. I started on 1, it was beyond mild. Went to 3, now we're getting somewhere. The EJ89 feels somewhere in between a 4&5 on the Slim. I wanted to take a send pass ATG to try a more aggressive setting. 7 it was, at least from the jawline up. 4 on the neck. Smooth like butta! I had to dial it down to a 3 to go ATG around the mouth. Above that and it was grabbing more than my technique could handle....which was odd because everything else felt like a 4/5 was the same as the EJ89 and I can go all out with that guy.

So the final results:
    BBS!!!

BabyButtoxSmoothlikebutta on the jaws and cheeks.....I'm down with that! I've got a new daily shaver! Can't wait for the next shave. I sure never said that before with a cartridge :).

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  2. BeeGee

BeeGee Active Member

3. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Your going to enjoy the Slim. It is still my go to razor.

Here lately the browsers have been upgraded and that seems to be causing issues with many of the web sites so maybe this is another issue.

Misphit likes this.
  4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    zVERYCOOL.png
    That is a nice start.

5. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

I know that now I have to save my post and then edit it to get a picture inserted. It will also only save it at the top of the post. I use an iPad or iPhone only streight to this site.

GDCarrington likes this.
  6. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

I have a black beauty as my daily shaver, and I really think a adjustable should be that 1st next step for a newbie, meaning maybe not your 1st razor but your next one...they are like 9 razors in 1 (depending on how many adjustable settings) and you can key in on whats better for your face...granted they can be somewhat pricey (which is why I say prob. not a 1st).....but, congratz and enjoy.. I know I love mine and i like the long handle too.

BeeGee and ObiDon like this.
  7. BeeGee

BeeGee Active Member

The adjustables are definitely where it's at ;).

Misphit likes this.
  8. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Just recieved my Russian "Ideal" slim adjustable in the mail after much drama with the US postal service. Can't wait to take it for a test drive!

upload_2015-2-25_10-7-47.png

clint64 and SDK like this.
  9. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Nice! Let us know how it goes. BTW, a long-handled Black Beauty is my razor & I love it.

Misphit likes this.
  10. BeeGee

BeeGee Active Member

The Black Beauty is next on my list ;).

11. BeeGee

BeeGee Active Member

Got a link for that Russian razor?

And yes, please write up a review on it.

12. Mustache

Mustache Well-Known Member

Ahhh... I really should try out my slim next.... Just so many options between razors and blade combinations... Do I stick with one blade and use different razors, or one razor and try different blades?

13. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Life Lesson #16730...
    Never hire a Russian painter.

14. SDK

SDK it's his fault

:signs011:

15. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Great writeup. I am currently looking for one of these myself...

16. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Yes to both

Mustache likes this.