Still haunted by rust stains

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by ChrisC1977, Aug 16, 2012.

1. ChrisC1977

ChrisC1977 Well-Known Member

Although I am no longer a user of can shaving cream...Also known as blue-goo; I still have rust rings from the cans in my fiberglass shower. I have tried many methods and cleaners to get these off. Nothing. Any ideas?

Many Thanks,

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    If CLR won't get them off, your only other option would be to have a crew come in a paint your shower. That's what I had to do with mine.

Switchermike likes this.
  3. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Toothpaste with whitener and a brush. Brush it on and wait a few mins.

Switchermike likes this.
  4. xCarbonSteelx

xCarbonSteelx Well-Known Member

I also second CLR. Stuff works great!

5. Hammertime1

Hammertime1 Member

how bad is it?
    They make polish/cleaner compounds that have abrasives in them. Some of the compounds are marked safe for fiberglass. but first I would try lime away, or one of the name brand bleach bathroom cleaners whiteners. They have gotten some stains out very easily that numerous other attempts failed at. DO NOT use the bleach compounds an walk away thinking letting it soak for extended period of times is a good thing. I sprayed down one bathroom and went and sprayed the next. few mites later as I came back and was wiping down the toilet seat cover I ended up with a multi shades of white and permeant streak patterns on the cover. They sure don't make some things like they used to.

6. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Try Flitz polish. It is use by people on the site as a polish for razors, but it is safe for fiberglass as well.

[​IMG]

If that does not work, you will have a great polish for your razors, but as others have said, you will have to refinish the shower.

7. JayPo007

JayPo007 Well-Known Member

Painting the tub isnt always a great idea in the long run. Had a company redo mine twice. It could use another redo but its out of warranty now. Plus one for CLR.

8. ChrisC1977

Thanks for tips! I will give it a try when I get the chance.

9. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Baking soda.

10. ChrisC1977

I tried a few methods this morning. I try to steer away from to many harsh chemicals which are not healthy to breath, or for drains, etc. In the end...this is what worked!

Mind you the rust stains where pretty bad. Like 3 overlapping dark rings. All I used that really worked was an old tooth brush and toothpaste. The abrasives and stain removing compounds in the tooth paste in conjunction with the toothbrush nearly removed 100% of the stains!!! It took less than 5 minutes. I did have to scrub for about a full 30 seconds before anything started to come off. But when it did, it come off nicely. Also, I used the hard part of the toothbrush behind the bristles to rub and sorta chip off some hard spots. So if you have problems with this, give this a try. It worked for me!

Switchermike and JayPo007 like this.