Str8t Fun

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by bscarpenter, Jan 16, 2017.

1. bscarpenter

bscarpenter Well-Known Member

So, I've had some success with my first straight shaves. I started with a little red 9/16 Solingen. It is nimble and sharp. I just did my cheeks once, then my cheeks and neck, and then three fairly successful full face, neck & jaw shaves with only a couple of weepers and 3 decent shaves as the result. I must be an ace![​IMG]

Now that I am an experience straight shaver, I break out my Easy Aces 5/8 for the 1st time. It'a a bigger blade and has a square end. What could go wrong? Well.... first, did you know that you can cut your earlobe with the square end of a straight razor. Yep, you can. Also, being a longer blade, the feel while positioning the razor is completely different. While jockeying with the position of the blade in relation to your face, you can also cut your cheek. However, I was able to concentrate on the rest of the shave and ignore the blood running down my cheek and dripping from my ear enough to finish 2 passes. I found the blade tugged and gave a rough shave. With a styptic pencil in one hand and a bar of alum in the other, I cleaned up and decided to send Mr. Easy Aces out for a honing.
    [​IMG]
    Fortunately, I had the foresight to shave a couple of hours before the dinner party so after some blotting, alum & aftershave balm, my face was not on fire any more with just a small mark on my cheek. Fast forward to the dinner party. Lady across from me "are you bleeding?". Damn thing started all over again. After about 5min it stopped.

Moral of the story... I don't know, but I'm going to start shaving at night a few times per week so I can get more practice in with my straights & I'm definitely going to take time to familiarize myself with each razor I use as if I could properly handle it, I would have avoided the two cuts.

2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Thats why a lota guys mute the spike. I learned, as you have, to respect the spike.
    And always keep in mind, ITS A PROCESS NOT A PROCEDURE. The learning is an ongoing thing.

3. RyX

RyX DoH!

4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I managed to cut myself today. Does that my name will go down in history?

Keithmax and dustmite like this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

Depends on Why you cut yourself... [​IMG]

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Yep....practicing with each razor is highly recommended as razors vary in feel, size and style. With enough shaves under your belt, you'l begin to adapt to these variances and not be as intimidated as when one begins. Everyone who SR shaves goes through this. We get comfortable with a particular style or blade size, perhaps the style we learned upon—and then have some trepidation when using a larger or differently-styled straight razor.

Prior to my being loaned a very large and scarily-sharp straight razor from a fellow member, I had already used a brand range of razor sizes and blade types.
    Still, upon receiving in the mail this incredibly large custom Maestro Livi 9/8" Damascus—I was surprisingly apprehensive about the shave. The razor's owner had jokingly included with the razor a pack of medical gauze, bandages and tourniquet. :D
    The first shave was extremely slow as I timidly dragged the large blade. By week's end, however, I was far more comfortable wielding the beast and had some truly outstanding shaves. All it took was a little practice, patience and persistence. :happy088:

[​IMG]

George X, Marverel, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  7. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I didn't mean to do it. I was a bit over confident, I think.

RyX likes this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

Then may you ride to Valhalla shiny and chrome!
    [​IMG]

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

Keithmax likes this.
  9. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

I'm glad you got a decent shave from that razor :happy088: I really liked it for its simplicity and ease of use ... and so I thought it might be a nice tool for a beginner.

Most of my straights are around 6/8'' in size, so there's not that much adjustment involved with my shaves nowadays. Though - as you have already experienced - handling a square point CAN be a little tricky. But with more experience there will be more confidence and handling the blades will feel more natural. Just don't think that you will never cut yourself again ;)

Keithmax and RyX like this.
  10. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    This is my new H. Boker 5/8 Extra Hollow Ground before I sent it to @HolyRollah .

IMG_2709.JPG

Here it is after he got through with a little restoration and honing.
    hboker_restored_05.jpg

Here it is for its first post-restoration shave.
    IMG_2919.JPG

George X, RyX, mrchick and 2 others like this.
  11. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Jayaruh likes this.
  12. bscarpenter

bscarpenter Well-Known Member

That looks FANTASTIC! I have a Wade & Butcher that is ~100 yrs old & I thought I liked the patina, but seeing how shiny that is and how nice the etching looks after the restoration, I'm thinking I should have mine restored.

RyX and Jayaruh like this.
  13. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Yeah, then you can grow your own patina.

RyX and mrchick like this.
  14. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

You can do it!

15. RetLEO-07

Ah, no! Wouldn't touch it with a six foot Pole... and I don't think a six foot Pole would either! :)

mrchick likes this.
  16. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I approached str8 shaving this way - if my forefathers could do it, so can I.

mrchick likes this.
  17. RetLEO-07

Our forefathers used outhouses and drove horse & buggys too. Doesn't mean I want to. :)

George X likes this.
  18. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

The Force is strong in this one. He is going to take some effort to get him to the Darkside.

George X and dustmite like this.
  19. George X

George X Well-Known Member

Ahhh yes, that first SR cut, I remember my first cut...and how can I forget my first slice that bled often during the day and left a little scar. Learning moments...Knockin on wood my ear stays in-tact

20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I remember being on shave forums as one who used only safety razors- no SEs, no carts...and certainly no straight razors! Those SR people were crazy using those things ( so I thought).
    I eventually succumbed to temptation and gave SR shaving a go. My wife was opposed to the idea but I took it slow and steady the first 3-5 weeks. I eventually sold almost all my safety razors and am almost exclusively a straight user. No turning back. Love the results...

Bama Samurai, mrchick and George X like this.