Straight razor edge Maintenance..??

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by 1976MGB, Jan 18, 2017.

1. 1976MGB

1976MGB Active Member

So, I'm pretty new to SR shaving and have been reading/watching tons of info on shaving, stroping, honing and so on..

Much of the information varies greatly. These are some of the things I've seen:

Strop before and after shave.. and every 4-5 shaves

Honing from 1k to 20k... And 8k max

Always use chromium oxide, or only every 10-20 shaves

If you strop wrong, you'll need you razor honed by a professional... And it's nearly impossible to ruin the edge on a strop to the point of needing it honed .

The list goes on and on... Seems like people say "get it professionally honed" at the smallest issue. Is that necessary, because it seems like I'd be sending my razor out more than using it. I don't want to be afraid to look at it funny as that may cause me to need it honed....

So 100yrs ago we didn't have diamond sprays, things measured in microns, synthetic stones etc.
    What did they use then? Were the shaves vastly inferior to what is done now?

Am I over thinking it? Or should my leather strop and an occasional honing keep me going?
    And I do understand YMMV...

2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

True. But there is some accepted truth generally held by the majority of SR shavers.

Before each shave is highly recommended. Afterwards is optional. Some do it to ensure a dry edge. A bit redundant if one is going to strop before each shave.

8k minimum— as far as making an edge shave ready.

Entirely optional. I rarely use it.

Strop a razor incorrectly and you could possibly roll or mute the edge. Odds are, an edge can be salvaged without a complete honing (i.e. bevel set).

I would recommend a newcomer getting his razor professionally honed initially. The care and maintenance of the blade is up to the owner. A razor that is properly maintained (cleaned, dried, & stropped) can last for countless shaves without any edge correction (i.e. sending it out to a pro to fix).

You're asking the right questions. Some SR shavers learn to hone their own razors (at a cost of both time and $$). Others are content to send out razors for honing to pros maybe once every year or two ($25). SR shaving does require more maintenance of the razor than other methods. We tend to over complicate things sometimes ("25 passes on rare cotton linen, followed by 15 passes on a pasted strop with ChromOx, followed by a dozen with diamond paste; followed by 120 laps on latigo leather, then two dozen on horween leather....") making the whole process incredibly intimidating for newcomers.

3. 1976MGB

1976MGB Active Member

That's what I was thinking... I strop before every shave, and a quick strop after. My shaves seem adequate enough for being new to it. My razor was honed before I received it, but I still question how good it was due to hearing of a few people to send it to..." Just to be sure you should send it to ...+&+$... to have it honed"

Is there a hone master who's ability exceeds others? Or should I remain content for now

4. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

If you really think about it: If you're stropping after; in theory you are also stropping before :think002:

I'm also a noob to this; but I strop ~10 laps on leather after my shave to dry off the edge, dry the razor and put a light coat of oil on the blade prior to putting it away.
    I strop 20-25 on the linen and ~40 on the leather before using.
    After a couple dozen shaves or so, I refresh the blade on a barber hone: 5-8 laps with no pressure then strop.
    Some guys love to hone and may tend to hone just for the fun of it rather than because the razor really I needing it. (purely speculative).

5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Good questions. Get a pro honed razor, and a strop. You can expand your thoughts, and collection, after you have a few shaves under your belt.

6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

By definition, a true hone master (or 'meister') is one who has successfully mastered the art and skill of honing. In my estimation, there are many who can hone a razor decently, but becoming a true master takes years of practice and experience across a broad breadth of razor styles and steels. I tend to shop for those who have both extensive experience as well as a solid reputation.
    In your situation: I'm more inclined to recommend for newcomers to keep focusing on one's shaving technique rather than the keenness of the edge, assuming the razor has already been professionally honed.

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Short answer, YES.

I sent all my str8s out for their initial honing to Glen aka @gssixgun here at TSD. He runs Gemstar Customs.
    When I was starting out, I ruined my first couple of razors with improper stropping - I rolled the edge. Back to Glen.
    All my razors have been back to Glen once since.
    I strop before every shave - 25 on the linen and 50 on the latigo.
    If my edge starts to tug, I take 7-8 laps on a barber's hone, then strop.
    I never have, nor intend to, used any kind of strop paste.
    I'm happy with the results I get with the hone and stropping, so it will be a while before I need to send them back out for a profession hone.
    As for all the stones required for honing myself, way too much $$$ for me. I'll pay Glen.

If you don't like my answers, go back and read @HolyRollah 's post above. :)

8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Buuut, for many, learning to hone your own razors, is as fulfilling as using them.

9. swarden43

Yup.

Karl G, Billyfergie and Spyder like this.
  10. Waate

Waate Member

First off, they had plenty of pastes. Pigments (Green-chromium oxide, red -iron oxide), lead, graphite, aluminum, fine Emery, just to name a few. I have many vintage strops that have a "honing" component which is a pasted strop of some sort. They also had natural stones which when used properly can put as good of an edge as any on a razor. I think, like today, the quality of the edges may have varied but due to skill and not tools. They may not have had synthetics but they (and many today) got along just fine without them.
    We like to over think things and chase edges as a hobby and it is a blast. Necessary? Not at all. Fun? Absolutely.
    It was a skill where the basics would have been passed down and then through experience you would have learned your way. It is the same today. Basics are passed along(often through the Internet) and then through experience you learn your way. There is a learning curve but one that many have overcome before you so it does not require an advanced degree in sharpening. Just some basic knowledge from others (see advice posted above), resources and resourcefulness, and lots of practice AKA experience.
    A mentor is extremely helpful along with a known sharp and shave ready edge.

6cuda6, Karl G, Billyfergie and 5 others like this.
  11. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

There are many aspects of shaving that has each person with their routine that gets what they feel is the best shave for them. Which leaves us with a lot of your mileage may vary. Most things can be taken with a grain of salt here and there. I do my own honing and have had others hone for me as well, but I started with pro honed edges. There are different degrees in which you can roll an edge. Bringing it back may be a good long stropping with perfect form or it may require a little more. Passes are funny because there is so many strong opinions. Some say too much too often will round out your bevel and ruin your edge. Other say they have gone years with strooping on compound after every shave. I do get the confusion. In the beginning I messaged a lot of people just to get one opinion on a particular question so I did not wind up more confused.as far as what I personally do for a stropping routine it is 30 and 30 after a shave and 50 and 100 before a shave. I am an excessive stropper for sure, but it is relaxing and I get nice smooth shaves so why not. I can get a super comfortable edge at 8K especially with the old Sheffields. The French and Swedes usually get mor time and higher grit edges. I finish on a rare natural for many edges. There are so many variable to your perfect shave you can literally tweak your routine constantly for ever but once your routine is established the shave is generally somewhere between nice and fantastic.

lindyhopper66, 6cuda6, Karl G and 6 others like this.
  12. 1976MGB

1976MGB Active Member

Thanks everyone for your input!!! All seems to be going well, and I ordered another vintage razor from a recommended home meister. Now I can compare the two, and send off my first one if necessary...

Other than that I think I'll keep on with my normal routine.

13. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I strop after shaving to make sure the edge is clean and dry before putting it away. About 20 or so laps on fabric and 40 or so on leather. Add a light coat of oil since this is Florida and humidity/rust is always a concern. When shaving I just rinse the blade and shave. I only use pasted strops as a final polish after a fresh hone. The jury is still out on whether it helps or not with the final edge.

14. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

One other note, having a razor honed by a recommended person gives you a benchmark to compare your own work to.

Karl G, Keithmax, Billyfergie and 2 others like this.
  15. swarden43

Truth

Karl G, Billyfergie and Spyder like this.
  16. DBart.

DBart. Active Member

I'm sure it was answered, but what oil should be used after stropping and drying. And when will I need to treat my strop with chromium oxide or diamond spray?
    Thanks

Karl G and Spyder like this.
  17. swarden43

Any light weight machine oil or mineral oil will work.
    And if you follow my advice... I don't plan on treating my strop with any kinda paste. But that's me.

Karl G, Spyder and DBart. like this.
  18. DBart.

DBart. Active Member

Thanks. That seems to be the road I'm going down as well.

Karl G and Spyder like this.
  19. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I only use oil on the straights that won't be used for an extended time. I have a drawer full that all are used in rotation and none are oiled. If you plan on leaving the SR out on the counter of a damp bathroom, then oiling may be of some value.

Billyfergie, Karl G and Spyder like this.
  20. 6cuda6

6cuda6 Member

As others have said..you need to figure out what works for you after you have mastered the shave. What is clear is you need a good edge and that edge wiill need to be stropped before or after each use. Concentrate on those 2 things first then move onto honing as its hard to tell what an edge is until you can properly shave with it.

You can oil your blades but i dont keep mine in the bathroom and i cycle my collection on a tangent of what i feel like using so no blade lube needed.

I have many different styles of razors, shave with a straight everyday, hones my own and send out the ones that i just dont feel i have the skill to do properly....its all a journey and one needs to progress in steps....enjoy it !!

Billyfergie, Karl G and Spyder like this.