Straight Razor Noob

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by TraderJoe, Feb 8, 2007.

1. bg42

bg42 New Member

being a knife maker one of my favorite medical utensils is a stick and electricians tape,helps to keep the afflicted digit still and out straight for a few days .
    last time I used it was about 2 months ago when I promptly stuck my finger in the prop of one of my model planes, I know super glue works but bugger me it stings
    kind regards Peter

2. proFeign

proFeign New Member

They have Band-Aid brand glue for cuts that's like the stuff they use in hospitals called Dermabond. It's money, though, and it doesn't have a very long shelf life. But unlike superglue it's some other kind of cyanoacrylate that stays flexible. It's no good on fingers or places that stretch a lot or get abraded.

It does sting but it's an easy fix. It breaks off too fast for me though.

Main thing, though, is, clean the cut out SUPER thoroughly before you glue it, also if it hasn't stopped bleeding it's just going to build up and squirt out a few minutes later. Seriously, make sure it's clean or you'll trap all kinds of nasty xxxx in there and it'll get infected bad.

Anyway anybody use a feather AC blade in a shavette-style handle? That's what I'm using while waiting for my 4/8 dovo and man is it sharp. Does using a shavette style handle eliminate part of the AC experience? I use the black box feather "professional" blades.

3. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Greetings pF !!
    Thanks for dropping in :signs021

4. C utz

C utz New Member

The feather razors (a fresh one at least) will be pleanty sharp to give you a clean shave and comfortable. The discomfort that you expereinced might have been for a number of reasons:

- There is a tendency to push down on the razor when shaving, which is not necessary for a straight razor (if it's sharp enough, and I'm, again, assuming that the 'feather' was - their new/fresh blades are pleanty sharp too). This will cause you to get a razor burn (or basically remove a few layers of skin). You might have to hold back when shaving with these (versus push down), and let the edge do the work. Light and easy....

- Also, the angle of the blade is not the same as that of a DE razor (the DE shaves almost like a rake across the skin, perpendicular...at least that is what you see - despite the angle of the blade that the holder bends the blade). The blade should be held at about a 30-45 degree angle from the skin (in that, holding the blade flat against the skin, lift the spine away - keeping the edge on the skin - so that the spine is 30 degrees away...I don't recommend doing this, since, if you have slightly shaky hands, that edge on the skin will be slightly shakey too!:eek: This description of 30 degrees was for referance purposes...I know, I drink too much coffee and have slightly shakey hands).

- AND, the technique of pulling the skin tight, and being familiar with the straight razor (angle/pressure(or lack of)/etc...) takes a little time to learn. It IS a little different from shaving with a DE, even if there are the same considerations.

- Plus, from what I have heard, every blade has a different seration pattern along the edge (especially for straight razors that were honed by different people on perhaps different hones, there will be different score patterns forming the edge of the blade....this might not matter for the 'feather' blade, but it may in that 'feather' might make the blade edges in a slightly different manner than the blade in your DE razor you are use to). You skin has to get use to this edge, and will over time.

Don't give up on the straight razor with just one sore shave. With a little practice it will surpase the DE. HOWEVER, there IS mantinence with a straight razor that you might not want to deal with. This is where the DE might be for you, since you can just slap in a fresh edge and not have to deal with strops and hones....(however, the 'feather' will also be the same mantinence though as a DE, so there would be NO excuse :mad: ).

Anything worth learning takes a little practice (I'm told :))

Good luck!! ::
    C utz

5. C utz

C utz New Member

You can go 'straight to a straight', and from what I hear you don't have to be straight to use a straight, so I guess that is good news...if you are not straight. Did I get that straight? :confused:

:rofl

C utz

6. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Mr. Utz - Thanks for the suggestions/recommendations/encouragement.....You have motivated me to try a straight razor again.

However, I told myself less than 24 hrs ago I was done buying stuff.

NOW what :confused: :D

7. C utz

C utz New Member

"Nice and easy does it everytime"
    If you have the Feather AC, give her another whirl. Go slow, and maybe just work on the the sides of the face (everything but the 'goat-tee' area). Those are the easiest to shave with a straight...then finish of with your DE. When you get the hang of it, start to work in the chin and mustach area. You'll get the hang of angle and pressure, and also develope a pattern of 'attack'. When you finally get that total shave/comfort....it's time for the real straight razor. (Note: This is assuming that you have already worked out how to properly 'prep' before shaving...a very important aspect of a comfortable shave)

Get a 'shave ready' razor from a 'known honemeister'. You'll also need a strop to learn on... If it gets to this point PM or email me (taztu at hotmail), I think I have one kicking around that you can cut up learing ;) When the razor arrives, try it. Since you know how a 'shave ready' razor should feel (remember all that time with the Feather AC?), this one should perform the same (sometimes even the 'honemeisters' are a little off though). If it's on, you need to concentrate on stropping. Since you will now have 2 bench marks for 'shave ready' (the Feather AC and your new straight razor), you will be able to determine how well you can strop (this is why you should try the razor before you strop it....). If the razor worked well before you stropped, and the next time around (after you stropped it) it pulls, well, you need to practice your stropping technique. Now, this seems obvious, but often times, people get to this point and think they need to hone the razor....(this is also why you should start with a 'shave ready' razor...so that you are not chasing your tail trying to get that edge back...is it the strop, is it the hone, where did I lose that damn edge!). Once you strop that edge in tune and get those shave to comfort again...Hone time!

We'll leave it at this point. The hone is a whole 'nother can of worms to worry about when you get there....

It takes some time and patience, but the mark of a true champion is the one that gets up after they fall...not one that stays down. Now, go find that Razor and get back in the ring! We are here for ya if you need a hand!

C utz

8. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

Yeah right!!!! Next you will be giving up menthol!!!:rofl

Raf

9. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Heck no, they'll be pulling a bottle of Aqua Velva from his cold dead mentholated hands. :D

10. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Little do "they" know, but there's a secret stash hidden inside the coffin :cool: :happy001

11. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

:rofl:rofl Can you use Aqua Velva as embalming fluid?

12. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

I don't see why not :D

13. fritz

fritz New Member

I have a Dovo Shavette, and I didn't realize the Feather AC blades could be used in it. I presume from just looking at the pictures on classicshaving.com that they must fit into the black holder? Do you have a link that gives their dimensions, or could you measure one?

14. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

My First Try

Well, this was the first time I really shaved with a str8. :D I had only scraped my cheek a little with a not so sharp Dovo 4/8 before. Someone felt sorry for me and was very generous and gave me a Shumate Razor Co Shumate's Barber 5/8 Straight Razor w/Black Plastic Scales for my razor pleasure. I thank them very much. I made one stupid mistake with the point under my nose which called for the styptic. My neck on the right got roughed up. I should have stretched the skin more. In all, I called it a success. (No one had to dial 911) I finished the passes with a Merkur Slant w/Feather. Between the str8 and the slant I got a very smooth but roughed up, need to heal, shave. I gave myself a weeper at the bottom of my neck with the slant. I will say though, the slant with a feather is one heck of a smooth cutter and I will be using the str8 more. I need to do some homework. OK, time to put a little more Aloe 99 on. :D

15. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

:happy001

Glad to hear it went [relatively] well, Rich....gives me encouragement :D

Keep up the good work!

16. Will

Will Nevermind

Looks like I will have to pre order the Aloe. :D

17. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

Glad to see you guys jumping in the pool!!!!!! Keep at it and be patient. It takes time to learn.

Raf

18. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Ya, I know, Rome wasn't shaved in a day. :D I'll keep at it. I'm waiting on my strop to arrive to go round two. And I will be talking to my saddlery makers to see if they can match up quality red latigo/natural leather to have a custom strop made for me. :D

19. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Cool! More str8 shavers!! Rich, make sure to post pics when you get this custom strop.

20. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Str8 Lingo

So, I've been picking up some of the lingo for straight razors.

Round point, French point, Spanish Point, Spike Point.

4/8, 5/8, 6/8...

1/4 Hollow, 1/2 Hollow, Full Hollow, Wedge, "Singing"

carbon steel, stainless steel, damascus, silver steel

Is there a good reference source for learning about str8 geometries and so on?