Strop Dimensions for AutoStrop

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by AnB_Daddy, Apr 19, 2011.

1. AnB_Daddy

AnB_Daddy Active Member

Does anyone have a picture and dimensions for a strop for a Valet AutoStrop Razor?

I picked up a beautiful Valet a couple weeks ago at a flea market and I want to find some blades and strop for it, but I figured it would be easier to probably make the strop.

Is there a certain thickness it needs to be? length? material? or anything else I need to know?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

You could just get the Feather blades from razorbladesandmore and forget the strop part???

3. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

When I've tried to use these to strop modern stainless blades, I've just ended up spoiling the blades. I gather this is a common experience. They may work better with the old carbon steel vintage blades, but then you might need to hone those first. Keep in mind, though, that I don't claim any expertise on things to do with stropping and honing. It's certainly fun to see the stropping mechanism in action, and you may do better than I did.

That said, here you go, with a picture of the two strops I have. The shorter one is from a boxed Auto-Strop set. The ruler went askew in the picture, but the width is exactly 1.5 inches, and I'd think that would be the most critical thing. Thickness just under 1/16 of an inch. Material, some sort of leather, but it's not marked what kind. Someone else could advise you better on strop materials anyway.

[​IMG]

4. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

hmmmm I think Msblackwolf was making them once upon a time.

5. AnB_Daddy

AnB_Daddy Active Member

I plan on ordering some of the Feathers from razorbladesandmore at some point.

I really want to see this thing in action, I love how mechanical these are.

Who knows, maybe I will come across some NOS blades for the strop at somepoint.

6. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

It can happen. I had a NOS blade. However, as neat as the mechanism is, I never found it to be that useful. I have an ever-ready stropping handle that can strop any SE blade in a similar fashion. However, I felt like I get more out of hand stropping then using the stropping handle. Carbon or stainless, it didn't make a big difference. As mentioned, the feather SE blades don't seam to do well on the strop either. Maybe just 2-3 passes, would be enough without over doing int.