Styptic pencil vs Alum block

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Omelmad, May 30, 2014.

1. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Hahahahaha I'm not doing that, that sounds painful =P

2. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I used to have a Styptic Pencil (I still have it) I prefer to use my RazoRock. rralum2.jpg

Omelmad likes this.
  3. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Methinks Witch hazel would work as well. Styptic Pencils, Alum and WH are all ,as far as I know, Astringents.

Omelmad and PatrickA51 like this.
  4. PatrickA51

Adonis
    I am also on Anti-Coagulants. I find that the Styptic-Pen works well, but the RazoRock Alum that I use works just as quick. Has a cooling effect and doesn't seem to sting as much.JMHO Also I tried applying the RazoRock before I shaved and I did not get any "Nick's or Weeper's" That day. Might be worth a try for you.

Adonis likes this.
  5. Omelmad

Why do you Apply before the shave?

6. PatrickA51

I was talking to a friend that uses a Straight Edge Razor and is also on Anti-Coagulants, he said that he read on a forum to use or apply Alum prior to your shave and that it works just as well as PSO (Pre-Shave Oil) or better. So I tried it. I don't do it all the time but I have done it a couple of times mostly if I do it really hot, when I do that. I will say this the several times I did apply it before I lathered my face it was really humid out. Also it did work well.

Omelmad likes this.
  7. virprobus

virprobus New Member

I am a newbie on the site. Can someone break down the uses for witch hazel and alum blocks?

8. BigMark

I have only used Witch hazel and styptic pencils. They are astringents. The purpose is to close and nicks/weepers and help prevent razor burn. That goes for WH, alum and SP.

9. virprobus

virprobus New Member

So these products would be used in addition to an after-shave lotion?

10. BigMark

Yes. I can only attest to the WH and SP. I put a little witch hazel on a cotton round and dab it on the nicks/weepers if I get any. I do not like to use WH as a regular AS as I have dry skin. The side effect of using Astringents on dry skin is it obviously dries out your skin even more, and then your skin tries to compensate and creates more sebum, which results in pimples. This is why I try to stay away form alcohol based AS. I even sparingly use my Speick Splash. Dry skin is no joke.

Omelmad likes this.
  11. highlander87

highlander87 New Member

I'm curious about Alums.. I use a styptic pencil right now I and I've been noticing sometimes it's leaving an odd residue, do the alum blocks do the same??

12. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

They do it worse. It's different, but it's still a residue on you.

13. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Neither should. The styptic and alum should be rinsed off anywhere up to a few minutes after using it (some leave it on) they've basically done their job by that point and there's no benefit to having it on your skin all day.

Omelmad likes this.
  14. highlander87

highlander87 New Member

Yeah I didn't realize that I was supposed to rinse after using it and the other day my wife pointed it out asking about what was on my face.. I usually shave before bed since I work 2nd shift so I think I may be just wearing off the residue in my sleep haha

15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Best to always rinse alum off after use.
    Regarding the topic, both items (styptic pencils & alum blocks) have their uses, but it is dependent upon the shaver's needs as to what is more practical.
    I have both, but rarely use the pencil. I use the block post-shave, but more so specifically when I'm trying out a new SR—the alum reveals any irritation or raw points on my face.

16. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Alum blocks does not leave residue. But the sticks does. It's not the same stuff.

Omelmad likes this.
  17. Ian Morrison

Ian Morrison New Member

I thought the block and pencil did the same but after reading this I guess it would do no harm to get a pencil just incase,thx guys for the info.

Omelmad likes this.
  18. Omelmad

I wanna get one to eventually =P

19. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The fact the cost is so relatively cheap for a styptic pencil compels one to buy one simply to at least try.

178-bplatoon likes this.