Styptic pencil?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Rusty blade, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I was in Walmart this evening and just happened to check the shaving section (yes...the still have Williams) and I happen to notice they had styptic pencils. It occurred to me that I see styptic pencils and alum discussed on the forums from time to time. I have been wet shaving since 1976 and have never owned either an alum stick or a styptic pencil. I understand this is a tool for mending nicks and weepers?
    Do they just stop bleeding or do they promote healing? :signs002:

RaZorBurn123 and SHAVEWIZARD420 like this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I do know it will stop the bleeding of minor cuts and nicks.
    I have no idea about healing properties.
    Never had one back in my *shudder* cart days.
    Use one occasionally, more likely when I'm using my str8s.

Rusty blade likes this.
  3. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Styptics seal the cut, which allows the platelettes to build up faster, so I guess in that regard it could be considered to promote healing. They aren't magical and don't cause spontaneous cellular regeneration, so in that regard they would not be considered to promote healing.

Rusty blade likes this.
  4. FancyRamen

FancyRamen Active Member

I do know that both alum and styptic pencils contain astringents, which help with hemostasis or the "healing" of blood vessels that are commonly damaged when getting cut from a too close shave or from waxing or just generally removing too many layers of skin at a time. Alum is also used in many other products like antiperspirant and can also be used for water purification and even pickling. Both will technically help heal cuts because they help prevent the broken blood vessel from leaking, however I'm not sure that it will lead to faster healing time once coagulation occurs. It may help some, but the main benefit is directly after blood vessel damage to close up the affected area and allow the skin to begin the healing process.

Sorry to get all nerdy on you but basically they both help right after minor cuts or abrasions to help close up the broken (bleeding) blood vessels.

Rusty blade likes this.
  5. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I haven't used styptic pencil much since I started DE shaving. The alum and witch hazel usually stops the bleeding well for me.

Rusty blade and Bama Samurai like this.
  6. txskimo

txskimo Well-Known Member

Styptic stops the bleeding a lot faster for me but I haven't used one in a while

Rusty blade likes this.
  7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I've used my stypyic pencil for cuts on my finger, arm, hand but yet to use it on my face. I do know one will last my lifetime and my grandsons lifetime.

Rusty blade likes this.
  8. Rusty blade

Since switching exclusively to vintage Gillette razors I rarely nick myself and weepers are few and far between. And like others I use witch hazel as my astringent. The styptic pencil will have to wait until someone gets a cut.

InspiringK likes this.
  9. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I haven't nicked myself in a while, but when I used such products, I preferred either Proraso repair gel, or My Nick is Sealed. Both work like styptic, but dry clear and keep you from looking like a leper.

Rusty blade likes this.
  10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Both!

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/stopping-the-flow-of-red.43938/

Rusty blade and Bama Samurai like this.
  11. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I use a jumbo styptic pencil.I dont use it much and when I do I rinse it off after 5 or 10 minutes then use my post shave lotion.

Rusty blade likes this.
  12. radmit

radmit Well-Known Member

I use a styptic pencil now and then. perfect for little nicks, stops the bleeding. leaves a white film on the area which washes off when dry.

for a few dollars, its a handy little tool to have

Rusty blade likes this.
  13. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Alum (and other coagulants) actually chemically interacts with platelets and causes them to form fibrin (scab/scar tissue), and hardens the fibrin, closing the wound. In a sense, it accelerates healing on a faster timeline than would occur with no intervention, but like you say, it's not spontaneous. Think about the cut men in a boxing ring, some of those swabs they use are RX grade coagulant chemicals, and they can stop some crazy bleeding. Better living through chemistry!

14. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

Maybe that should be offered as a PIF in the "newbie"section of our straight razor forum?

[​IMG]
    I don't often used coagulants, but when I do......I prefer styptic layered with Alum topped with Witch Hazel.

15. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

No doubt!

Rusty blade likes this.
  16. Rusty blade

As luck would have it I had a very small nick on my chin this morning. The styptic pen worked very well. When I wet it and put it on my skin it was like a small jolt of electricity but it stopped the bleeding in a second. Neat stuff. I can see one stick should last several generations.

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  17. InspiringK

InspiringK Well-Known Member

I've never bothered with a styptic or Alum. I'm sure they work, but the thought of having to rinse something again afterwards seems cumbersome to me. Considering I barely ever have any nicks. I do however tend to mix witch hazel into all of my aftershaves - I think the WH serves a similar purpose.

I've heard that Alum is pretty handy for straight shaves though. Apparently rubbing some Alum on your fingers reduces slipperiness and allows you to better pull your skin taught. I keep meaning to grab some Alum for this purpose.

Rusty blade likes this.
  18. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

I don't think a styptic pencil will seal up a cut to a major artery but it will for those OH NO's and the whoops' and maybe an ouch or two. When I was a youngster I'd walk out of the bathroom with little pieces of toilet paper stuck to my face and then my dad showed me that little white pencil. And my brother (<<< the guy in white) be on the floor laughing his a-s off. I guess I did look silly with all that paper on my face.

Rusty blade likes this.
  19. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

That jolt of lightening lets you know you are alive!!! (Phew thought is was just me!)

Rusty blade likes this.
  20. Rusty blade

So I get to know I am alive twice: once when I nick myself and again when I put the styptic pencil on my nick...both have a way of waking me up quickly!;)