Success with XTG/ATG neck pass

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by wristwatchb, Oct 8, 2014.

1. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I usually perform a three-pass shave, with the second and third passes on my neck generally being XTG/ATG (my hair grows in different directions). I had been stretching my neck skin and shaving N to S using short strokes and no pressure. I rarely achieved BBS and often had slight irritation or weepers.

For the last couple of days, I relaxed the skin on my neck (emphasized my double chin) and completed the second and third XTG/ATG passes using light, quick buffing strokes. I get a much closer shave and no irritation. I'm taking it slow, but I think that BBS and no irritation is now within reach for me.

Anyone else here have success doing this?

2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Any thing that gets you BBS with no irritation is good!
    I have a super light beard, but less pressure leads to less irritation for me.

wristwatchb and Herm2502 like this.
  3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I have found through mostly trial & error, that excessive skin stretching, particularly on the throat area, can be more conducive to developing irritation.
    My approach now is, especially when DE shaving, is to raise my chin so the throat skin is barely taut, but not strained or stretched. The skin there is, as you describe, more 'relaxed.' With lighter, shorter strokes, a close shave is accomplished without the telltale signs of overdoing it (redness, tenderness, rash, bumps).

I still stretch skin when straight razor shaving, but that's a different animal altogether. I've rarely gotten irritation with an SR.

wristwatchb, Herm2502 and Tdmsu like this.
  4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I don't go ATG on my neck, my neck would be a mess. I'm glad it works for you. I laughed so hard in regards to your mention of the double chin. :)

wristwatchb likes this.
  5. wristwatchb

You would laugh even harder (or possibly run) if you saw me shaving like this! :happy097:

RaZorBurn123 and Spud like this.
  6. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

I have not had luck with this. I'm one of the ones where i t is WTG only on neck. Otherwise I get ingrowns and pain.

wristwatchb likes this.
  7. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I can go ATG on my neck if I'm careful and slow. I just lean back my head as described, no extra stretching for me.

wristwatchb likes this.
  8. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I go WTG, XTG and ATG on the neck area, but very lightly. Maybe too bad for me, but I can't make a double chin...guess there's not enough meat on my bones. My hardest part where the grain is parallel to the jaw bone. I've given up on stretching or pulling the skin, because the hair seems to "disappear" when I do that. I just have to carefully go right along the jaw line. Slow and careful.

wristwatchb likes this.
  9. wristwatchb

Yep, too bad that you only have a single chin! Let me help you with this also -> :eatdrink020: :eatdrink023:

I have the same challenge shaving along my jaw line, and I approach it the same way.

Herm2502 likes this.
  10. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Congrats on the progress with your shave. I take pretty much your same approach on the weekends when I have time. For workdays, it's is a 2 pass shave, WTG & XTG and a touch up. This yields a DFS more than good enough for work. On the weekends I add the ATG on the neck and face with small touch up. If not BBS, its pretty close.

wristwatchb likes this.
  11. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

+1.

12. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:happy096: on discovering a method of getting a less irritated shave. For me "less irritation" is the main objective. If you can consistently get less irritation and a BBS "more power to you"..:happy088:

BigMark, wristwatchb and Herm2502 like this.
  13. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I decided a few months back to go with a two pass shave. I do a little buffing on my neck during the second pass. It works well for me. Always something to learn.

14. Herm2502

I think for me the standard of the shave (BBS, DFS, whatever) is something that's determined by the area I'm shaving. Cheeks are always BBS. Neck and chin, not so much. I'm happy if I'm presentable. After all I'm already incredibly handsome so I don't want to overwhelm the women! LOL

15. wristwatchb

It is always best to place others ahead of yourself! :happy096:

16. wristwatchb

I appreciate all the helpful feedback, encouraging comments, and also the humor! Thanks!

178-bplatoon likes this.
  17. Herm2502

That was my main concern...the mental health of the women of the world.

wristwatchb likes this.