Sudden break-out/rash

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by tuxxdk, Jun 24, 2013.

1. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Hi people

I think I need help.

All of a sudden I get very irritated skin after my shave. The alum stings like never before and 10 minutes after I've applied my usual asb, my face looks like it's been beaten with a blunt razor :-/

I prep my face with either a shower with facewash or facewash alone and I use the traditional hot cloth for a few minutes prior shaving. I use soaps for showering/facewash with no parabenes and perfume. Been using that for years. I guess I can rule that out.

My lather comes from Haslinger Ewe Milk whipped up with either my horse or boar. Today I tried my new horse for the first time, still same result. I hereby rule out the brush(es).

My razor is Mühle R89 with Astra SP the past 4 shaves. Been using that like a happy camper for months. Only difference is the blades come from a new pack. Could it be it? I've now installed the last blade after todays shave.

The soap is a new puck. I used up the old one, so I've used to lathering the Ewe Milk. I think I remember my problems started after that was used first time. But that was also when I started the new pack of Astras. The cushion from the lather feels like it should and the razor glides like I'm used to.

Can it be a bad puck? Today I really applied no no no no pressure, less than I normally do. But I sit here with the exact same rash and sore skin like yesterday.

My plan is to use that last blade, but switch soap tomorrow - see if it makes a difference. Then use that other soap for a few shaves.

In the meantime, what are your thoughts on my problem? Have I overlooked something?

Very much thanks in advance!

2. tuxxdk

I must add - my skin doesn't feel like burn per se - more like it's irritated from something else. All my small bumps/hairsacks on my chin and neck lights up like it's goddamn indian Holi Festival - I'd fit right in :-/

Also, I clean my razor once in a while, but not with detergent on every blade change. Should I change that?
    My towel that I use only for face has been used for about two weeks and my cloth for a week. I usual do that - should I change those more often? I think of bacteria..
    My asb is the same bottle of Nivea Sensitive that I always use.

EDIT: I just remembered... I use the same alum block for face and deodorant and I think my problems started shortly after that....around the same time I broke out that new puck of Ewe Milk. I rinse the block after each use but perhaps it's a bad idea? I just don't quite think it's it, as I only apply it right after a shower, but then again?

3. Raven312

Raven312 Well-Known Member

I would switch out the soap first. So many companies change formulations and don't tell us, I always go for the software first when something doesn't feel right.

4. tuxxdk

"Sorry SWMBO, I need to use that Arko you hate so much for the next days. It's for science and my well-being, you'll understand" :D

But yes, that's very easy to try. All that bugs me is it'll take a few days to see if it helps. There are a few soaps in the drawer I know works fine.

richgem likes this.
  5. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear you're having problems. I don't know what to tell you because it could be any of the things you've mentioned. I guess just try changing one thing at a time until you figure it out. Good luck and let us know what you discover.

6. oldtrout

oldtrout Well-Known Member

I hope it wasn't the Haslinger Ewe's milk. My puck is almost gone and I'd hate to have its replacement cause me trouble.

I've had some reaction to Sandalwood soaps, but if I let them "air out" they seem to behave.

7. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Hej Pingvin,

I'll take a stab at saying a delayed sensitivity to something (new?) in your asb. Sometimes allergies take several uses to kick in.

8. tuxxdk

I'll have my asb in mind, but I seriously doubt it since my problem starts already when I apply the alum, which stings really unpleasant.

I actually hope it's the Ewe Milk because then I've found the culprit and I know it's just a bad puck and I can then break out a new one again and hope that one is okay. The old one didn't cause any troubles at all.

9. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

Some thoughts :)

-likely shave-related, but
    -rule-out new detergent, shirts, and sheets.
    -Shaving = skin trauma, so face is more sensitive.

-On irritated skin, eliminating allergen may not result in immediate relief.
    -If possible, take time off from shaving (or do 1-less pass) to help healing :)

10. richgem

Yah know, now that I think about it, it's just possible that there's some unreacted lye in the soap (assuming it's an artisan creation). Try a different soap and see if you still have problems.

ohpaos likes this.
  11. tuxxdk

I don't have time to shave right now before work, but after I should have, so I'll get back to ya'll with an update.

ohpaos, there's no change in out detergents, shirts and sheets. I hope I tonight will be able to tell a difference, but maybe it will take a few days to "cool off".

12. tuxxdk

Alright. Updates are in :cool:

I'm a happy camper, so far. No rash nor sore skin. I changed 3 variables:

1. New towel and cloth. It was due, rash or not.
    2. I didn't use the alum. It was also due, I've been using it for some time without noticing any change in any direction. So I don't wanna spend time with that anymore. Perfect for deodorant though.
    3. The soap. Used the Haslinger Marigold. Not quite the same cushion but no rash :D
    3a. Not changed this per se, but I cleaned my brush prior the shave, just to be sure there wasn't any residue from the Ewe Milk.

So what have I learned. I don't believe in the towel/cloth. I've used more overdue rags before. What I do believe is the alum somehow. I've once used an asb with alum and it kindda made my face look like that for an hour or so. That combined with that I've used the same block as deodorant gives me that thought. Also my face felt better right after the shave (before where I normally would apply alum) so that strengthens me that the alum, maybe combined with a bad puck of soap, would set my face on fire.

What about the Ewe Milk then? I'll revisit that puck when the dust has settled. Then I'll def. know the culprit. So far I'm just happy I got an excellent shave with no rash!

ohpaos, BigT and Raven312 like this.
  13. tuxxdk

I believe it's artisan, the pucks look like it at least. Small Austrian family business. If that's the case, the unreacted lye, how can that be and what is it?

14. richgem

Lye (sodium hydroxide) is a strong alkaloid used to saponify (turn into soap) the fats and oils that are part of the ingredients. If there aren't enough fats/oils or too much lye used in the process, or if the saponification happens too fast, then some lye remains "raw" and will cause a (usually minor, but could be serious) chemical burn. Your skin rash might be a minor chem burn.

If it is the case that there is unreacted lye in this particular puck, there's nothing you can do about it except trash the soap. (well, you could melt the soap down, add a bit of acid (such as lemon juice or vinegar), let it react and then let the soap harden. but, that's too much work and would be a bit dicey since you dont' know the ratio to use given you don't know how much lye is left).

ohpaos likes this.
  15. tuxxdk

Thanks for the info :) I tried to google unreacted lye, to no avail.

Much appreciated reply!

richgem likes this.
  16. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

Excellent point, Rich! "Lye heavy" soap may be the culprit. It's so unusual for established soapers that it didn't cross my mind. In addition to appropriate calculations, mixing & cure-time, soapmakers should use pH paper on their soap. (Some soapers use the "zap test" & taste the soap - if it "zaps" like a battery, it's too alkaline). If you or a friend has pH paper, you could test the soap. (I *don't* recommend you taste it!)

Our grandparents' generation may remember using homemade lye-heavy lard soap, particularly for laundry. You sometimes hear folks say their grandma or mother would "scrub them raw" & I bet that is due to chemical burn richgem described.

Either way, pls consider letting the manufacturer know about the problem & asking if there have been formula changes. Their response may affect whether you continue to use their products.

17. tuxxdk

The soap is new in their line so I don't think the formula has changed - also the ingredients on the label were the same. I will contact them as soon as I know it's the real culprit. I don't expect anything from them, but they need to know. They might say "too bad" or "that's not good, we'll send you 5 years of supply :D ). I don't know if I've been scared away from Haslinger, it usually takes more to scare me, but if, say, the 2 other pucks I have react the same then I seriously need to reconsider.

We have som pH paper at work I believe, I'll see if I can remember to scoop some today, or maybe just bring the soap and let our lab-people run a quick test. What values am I looking for if it need to be a problem to cause a rash?

18. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

You want pH below 10.

"To test the pH of your soap, wet your soap with water, and rub your hands on the soap to form bubbles. Put your pH strip onto the wet soap and check your reading."
    Source: Brambleberry

For reference:
    pH 0 - hydrochloric acid (HCl)
    pH 2 - lemon juice
    pH 7 - water
    pH 9 - baking soda
    ph 10 - milk of magnesia
    ph 14 - caustic lye (NaOH)

Source:
    http://www.soap-made-easy.com/soap-ph.html

19. tuxxdk

I have an appointment with our lab next week, then I'll know if the pH is off the chart on this puck.

20. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Alcohol and Dawn. I wash my razor off with water and alcohol after each use. For DE, I change the blade after each use.
    For now wash your brush with Dawn dish liquid.
    Use a shave cream so you know it's 'new' each use.
    Alum, and wash it off completely. And a good Witch Hazel.
    Might work. Good luck.

BigMark likes this.