Sudden break-out/rash

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by tuxxdk, Jun 24, 2013.

1. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

I don't know what Dawn is and Witch Hazel is unavailable here.

I frequently clean the razor. Also as I wrote, the brush was cleaned to get the last remains of the Ewe Milk out.

Neither brush nor razor/blade is the issue as per my past shaves prove.

The alum is always rinsed completely off but I don't use it anymore as written above.

I don't like creams much, hence I only have one - Proraso's green. I'm not a big fan of the quality compared to my soaps.

2. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

Cool! Take another puck of any soap so you have somthing to compare :)

3. tuxxdk

Update.

pH value ended at 10.9.

Guess that's the culprit?

ohpaos likes this.
  4. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Thanks for the update, Martin. That sounds like the answer to me. :bounce017:

Now, maybe contact the soaper and let him/her know... they may need to adjust procedures.

ohpaos likes this.
  5. tuxxdk

Yeah I need to contact someone. I guess the maker directly rather than the vendor?

6. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

Wow, that is high, particularly since most pH paper tends to underestimate pH (show slightly lower values).

Great call, richgem. :happy088: Martin, I'm sooo glad none got in your eyes & that you were able to test the soap. I hope your skin has fully healed!

BigMark and richgem like this.
  7. tuxxdk

It was tested on the labs electronic equipment so the result should be accurate.

My face was 95% the day I used an alternative soap so all is good, thanks :)

ins0ma, richgem and ohpaos like this.
  8. richgem

I'd let the vendor know too so they can also talk to the maker and even decide what they may want to do with remaining stock.

tuxxdk likes this.
  9. richgem

I learned the lesson the hard way (ie: a similar experience) when I was a beta tester for an artisan soaper.

10. tuxxdk

I've now contacted the vendor. Maybe they'll refund me and deal with the maker themselves.

11. richgem

Let us know what happens. Good luck.

12. TheMrs.

TheMrs. New Member

Something I have not seen mentioned, but is worth looking into is bacteria. :eek: Bacteria in your brush, mug, steam towel, and/or drying towel could be a cause of the symptoms you are experiencing. You might try a good brush cleaning, new linens, and a trip through the dishwasher for your lather mug, and see if that reduces the irritation. Contrary to popular belief, bacteria and viruses can live on soaps.

13. tuxxdk

I have always an eye for that and clean my gear once in a while.

However, per written earlier in the thread, my irritation disappeared the moment I switched soap. I have no doubts the soap is to blame and with a pH of 10,9 I have no intention on double checking :)

14. tuxxdk

Haslinger confirms the pH is normal and that I must be allergic to the fragrance, hence I've been advised to use another Haslinger soap rather than the Ewe Milk.

That is complete and utterly bull and I have replied accordingly!

I am allergic but not to Ewe Milk. I'm allergic to bad customerservice and the last has not been said in this regard. I must say I'm disappointed!

15. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

10.9 pH is normal for their soap? :rolleyes005:

Guess I know which product not to buy, unless I'm after the removal of a few layers of skin.

Thanks for the update, Martin.

16. tuxxdk

I quote: "...all soaps have a pH value of 10,5-10.9. That is normal..."

I won't question whether or not that is normal for Haslinger but I will question that puck I have here that causes problems. It can't be normal. Whether or not it's the pH remains unclear to me.

17. richgem

What a shame ....

18. tuxxdk

After my reply, the vendor convinced Haslinger to re-evaluate the situation. They're are now checking their lab and stocks of the pucks they have with the number from the back of my pucks. Maybe they find something.

But seriously - can pH of nearly 11 be normal? I find it really high. Our lab people at work was stunned when they saw the result.

richgem likes this.
  19. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

20. tuxxdk

Thanks for the links. I'm still awaiting Haslingers reply.