Sudden Downturn in Shave Quality

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by rmcintyre84, Apr 30, 2015.

1. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

I haven't been able to get a decent shave for the last two weeks. ("Decent" is, for me, short of DFS, and the best shave I can get.) Nothing has changed as far as I can discern. I haven't tried any new hardware or software. My technique has remained the same. I went through an entire box of 7 O'clock SPs, my favorite blade, plus one Voskhod, and it was like shaving with a cheese grater. Even my "go to" combo of a Merkur 34C, 7 O'clock SP, and TOBS for Sensitive Skin left my post-shave cold towel looking like a map of the stars...only the stars were all red. I can't figure out what's going on. Has this happened to any of you? Suggestions?

2. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Somebody dropped your razor.

trey06dmd, PatrickA51 and Jayaruh like this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Take a couple days off, then try again.

PatrickA51, spacehobo, gorgo2 and 2 others like this.
  4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    :signs011: What he said...

PatrickA51 likes this.
  5. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

no differences in prep, nothing at all different?
    puzzling
    I do have a suggestion. after using which hazel to clear you up.
    I suggest you try prepping 12 hrs off. let me explain, I shower in the evening( work in the dirt, gotta shower, soon as I get in). but I enjoy a morning shave. but I like to smell nice after shower. so I started using a splash of a/s, after shower(twelve hours or so) away from shave. since I've been using two after shave doses, I've been getting wonderful close smooth shaves. maybe an extra dose of balm may work for you, I hope it does.
    good luck.

spacehobo and bnccna2 like this.
  6. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

That sounds like a good idea to me. Maybe just irritation that you keep re-irritating every day. I always love the shave after a day or two off too.

7. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

It sounds to me like you may need to mix it up. My suggestion is to change as much as you can. Don't use your favorite blade. Don't use your favorite razor. Don't use your favorite soap.

I know this may sound strange, but I have found that changing as much as possible forces me to reexamine all of the steps in my shave. You said "My technique has remained the same." My experience is that whenever I say something like that it is exactly the opposite of what is truly happening. If I am wrong, then you loose nothing because you are already not getting a good shave. If I am correct, then you come out ahead.

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Interesting thought.
    As you say, can't hurt, might help.

markjnewcomb likes this.
  9. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I agree with it all. This has happened to me. I'm suggesting you stop for 3-4 days and when you come back at it, mix it up a bit.

spacehobo, markjnewcomb and gorgo2 like this.
  10. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Pro golfers go through this type of thing often. One small unnoticble change in technique and they have to fight hard to get it back. Ruling out the equipment is a good first step. I ended up doing one pass and stopping until my irratation was gone. I wasnt getting perfect shaves but forced myself to stop. A couple weeks and i was back to regular shaving without issue. Good luck and taking a day or two off is really a good thing for irratated skin. Ive even went as far as lathering, washing it off and splahing on some AS to feed the addiction during my off days.

PS ive had irratation from 3 different TOBS creams when i didnt use enough water lathering. I think it can be a bit too strong for my skin?? Just a thought. Since realizing it and making sure to use enough water I havent had problems.

11. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

I would try moisturizing at night and giving your face a couple days of break.

12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Irritation. Upon irritation. Upon irritation.
    I concur with the other assessments that it is probably best to take a 'shave-cation' for a while to give ample opportunity for healing to take place. How long? It varies. Back in my cartridge-using day, my skin would become so inflamed I'd not shave for 4-5 days (or more) until my skin lost the tenderness. When I began wet-shaving again —and overdid it—I needed another 4-5 day break before jumping back on it. No changing of blades or razors will speed the process—all will continue to aggravate. Find a good soothing skin balm or aloe gel and pamper your mug during the off-shaving time.

13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

When this has happened to me, I traced it back to getting imperceptibly sloppy in my technique, invariably at times that I was subconsciously preoccupied or outright distracted by other life issues. I didn't think I was doing anything different, but I was. It boiled down to, "Are you shaving more but enjoying it less?" Anyway, could that be part of it?

Mr. Shaverman and markjnewcomb like this.
  14. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

I think the key phrase here is "imperceptibly sloppy in my technique". That was the basis for my advocacy of changing everything.

gorgo2 likes this.
  15. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I agree with the "technique" scenario. Make sure you prep your face well; work the lather sufficiently and make your first pass WTG (This is important). Keep in mind that your facial hair does not grow in one direction, rather many. (Map out the grain). Second important thing: Do not press. Let the weight of the razor do the work. Do not shave over unprotected skin, even though it's tempting. I would also agree with the advice to let your face heal for a few days, then begin again. Good luck.

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  16. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

I think he knows his "shite". I think that it's a matter of one bad shave affecting the skin for subsequent shaves. I think he just needs to take a Shave-Cation.

spacehobo likes this.
  17. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    The OP asked our advice. It never hurts to reexamine one's technique.

gorgo2 likes this.
  18. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

Thank you for the advice. I normally shave every day, but during all this I was shaving every other day because of the irritation. I haven't shaved in two days; maybe I'll wait until Sunday. I like the advice of using a lotion or balm a couple times a day.

gorgo2 likes this.
  19. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

I tried the same. Turned out, I was getting casual with my angle-precision. I had gradually changed the angle and wasn't paying attention, hence the razor either scraped or cut into my skin.

Since I corrected that, I've had nothing but the best shaves.

gorgo2 and Omelmad like this.
  20. Jasio78

Jasio78 Well-Known Member

It's funny. I've had a few bad shaves in a row. I've got a new soap and skin food, and wondered if this was an effect. But none of it is brand new to me. I think the one bad shave then knock on effect it quite plausible. At the beginning if the week I ended up rushing because my babies all came busting in the bathroom. I've taken a two day break, and going to swap everything up tonight. Break out my trusty muhle 89. Back to basics. Good luck @rmcintyre84.

gorgo2 likes this.