Suggestions on Semogue brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Aussierazor, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Aussierazor

Aussierazor Member

Hey guys,

Looking at purchasing a Semogue boar brush to add to my collection as i hear great reviews on them. I currently use edwin jagger badger which is great as i rotate between soap, croap and a few creams.

Have my eye on the 830 but will it be ideal for creams? Also i mainly face lather.

Thanks in advance.

2. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

Yes the 830 will be ideal for creams. I used my 830 with TOBS Avocado cream this morning and it performed wonderfully. But, I'm biased as I love the 830 with soaps too, most recently the previous 4 days with Mitchell's Wool Fat. I'll bet you'd be very satisfied with this brush.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    Aussierazor likes this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

First, there is no such thing as a "cream lathering" brush, or a "soap lathering" brush, or a "bowl lathering" brush, or a "face lathering" brush, only "your personal preference" brush.

I've only heard good things about Semogue, so it really doesn't matter which one you get. Get the one you like the looks of!

Aussierazor and RetLEO-07 like this.
  4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I started with the 1305.

Tedolph and Aussierazor like this.
  5. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
  6. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I think I researched the heck out of Semogue, I would just choose one that you find appealing. Whether it's non dyed, the handle design or whatever the case would be. I went with the 1250 based on the wooden handle and the natural blond boar hair. Just caught my eye.

Aussierazor likes this.
  7. Batou

Batou New Member

If you like the acrylic handle I suggest purchasing the 620 because it is the ideal brush for face lathering. The 830 is fine too. I own both and like both very much.

PickledNorthern and Aussierazor like this.
  8. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

:signs011:

Aussierazor likes this.
  9. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I have three Semogue boar brushes and they're all great. The 830 is my favorite, but they're all winners.

Aussierazor likes this.
  10. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

No knowledge of Semogue brushes but I do have an Omega 10098 boar and I love it.

Jim99 and Aussierazor like this.
  11. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

The 830 is a superb brush.

Jim99 and Aussierazor like this.
  12. Aussierazor

Aussierazor Member

Thanks guys, appreciate your feedback which is helpful as always

Zykris likes this.
  13. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

The 830 is an excellent brush, and the brush I have owned the longest out of any in my den.

Aussierazor likes this.
  14. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

I have the 1305, a very good brush on all accounts, but if I had it to do over I'd choose one with an unpainted handle, mine is starting to chip.

Aussierazor likes this.
  15. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I've a 1305 for a few years, and it hasn't started chipping yet, but I have heard of many chipping. I baby mine, so it wont.

Tedolph, AGHisBBS and Aussierazor like this.
  16. McGrande

McGrande Well-Known Member

I've been using a 620 for several years now and really like it. I don't remember it ever shedding. The only thing it shed was the decal label. Doesn't matter to me, but some may not like it. Performs well and that's what matters.

Here's a pic. If you look closely, you can just see the clear label on the handle. The writing has vanished. (It's still drying from this morning's shave)

Semogue 620.JPG

Tedolph, GatorJoe and Aussierazor like this.
  17. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

I have an 830. Great with hard, soft, and creme soaps.

Aussierazor likes this.
  18. Aussierazor

Aussierazor Member

Thanks, leaning towards the 620 which may be suited for face lathering.
    Ill give my feedback once i get it
    Appreciate your input..happy shaving all!!!

19. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

The Semogue Owners Club (SOC) Boar brush is simply great! Seen below - it is my favorite brush. Once broken in - it is the softest feel on the face but has great body because of the stiff bristles. It makes better lather than any of my other brushes.
    Feb 21, 2017.jpg

GatorJoe, Aussierazor and Screwtape like this.
  20. gadabout

gadabout Well-Known Member

Can't go wrong with an 830. I have the SOC as well, but honestly, the 830 works the best for me.

Aussierazor likes this.