Summertime...Barbeques, Grills & Smokers!

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by HolyRollah, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

Not a grill but the wife broke out the fire pit and we roasted hotdogs on sticks and cooked a couple burgers in a fish basket. The girls then toasted marshmallows and I later got to make a small dent in our brush pile.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mrchick and PanChango like this.
  2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Thanks. It did not disappoint.

3. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I saw a 2lb piece of pork belly this morning at the grocery and decided I wanted to give pork belly burnt ends a try. I used a healthy dose of my all purpose bbq rub, a few chunks of peach, and started smoking at 250F for about 3 hours. From here, I added some sauce, brown sugar, and butter to my 2 quart dutch oven and let them braise for about 90 minutes. After that, I removed the lid, drained some of the fat and let the sauce set for 10-15 minutes. They were absolutely delicious.

After about 2 hours of smoke...
    IMG_20170723_171531_034.jpg
    Just finishing up the braise...
    IMG_20170723_171531_033.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Redrock, Marverel, PLAla and 2 others like this.
  4. Tiredricefarmer

Tiredricefarmer Well-Known Member

:happy096::happy096: Those are beautiful!

PanChango likes this.
  5. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Thank you.

6. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

Good job. Good eats.:drool:

PanChango likes this.
  7. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Thanks.

8. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

Tonight I used my new Gas Grill for the second time ;)

Guest of honor: this nice piece of meat - dry aged bone-in Ribeye Steak

grill4.jpg

accompanied by some Lamb Chops and Merguez (Spicy sausages that originally come from northern Africa, but have been "adopted" by the french)

grill5.jpg

as a side dish: new potatoes, fried in a pan with bacon, onions and garlic:

grill2.jpg

grill3.jpg

grill1.jpg

Absolutely delicious :happy088:

9. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

@Marverel - The food looks spectacular. Enjoy your new grill.

Marverel and Redrock like this.
  10. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Hi all, I'm having a friend over for dinner today. He fixed my air conditioning really cheap, and since he wouldn't take more money, I decided to grill some T-Bones in his honor.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redrock, PLAla and PanChango like this.
  11. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Works for me... That is nice of your friend and a nice steak.

Redrock likes this.
  12. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

He is a great guy. An old family friend.

Redrock and PanChango like this.
  13. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

My Weber Genesis E-330 burners were in bad shape. I've had it about 5-6 years and used it a lot. I considered buying a new one, but ordered a full set of burners and another set of reflector plates for $100 instead. I gave up trying to get the old bolts the fasten the end of the burners to the wall out after one slit the boss it was threaded in on the cast bottom. There's no way bolts in that environment are going to come out after 5 years, heads were corroded to the point I couldn't get a socket on them.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I ended up wedging a couple of other screws between the wall and burner tubes to keep them tight. The job ended up taking a lot longer than it should, but now I have a fully functioning grill again.

14. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Nicely done. They are workhorses. I had the two burner version of that grill for 17 years. I think that if I would have splurged for the 3 burner version when I got it, I would still be using it.

Erik Redd likes this.
  15. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Mojo marinated pork porterhouse chops with grilled butternut squash and red potatoes. Marinated the pork in the garlic citrus marinade overnight and grilled raised direct at 350F with a hunk of pecan. Dropped the grate for a quick sear to give them some more color. The butternut aquash and red potato were seasoned with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. It was a nice simple, yet tasty meal. Thanks for looking.

mojo.jpg

butternut.jpg

16. Erik Redd

Yeah, I got the previous model in 2003, and used it until about 2011, going thru a few replacements of flavorizer bars, reflectors and grates. The heat shield in the lid was completely corroded thru and the cost of a new lid was enough to cause me to opt to replace it in about 2011. I grill all year and the gas grill is used probably four times a week, or about 200 times a year. The heavy use combined with the high humidity in the Houston area does take it's toll though. The Genesis E-330 was made from 2011 to 2016 and is discontinued. Likely replacements would be the Genesis II E-310 (three burners, no side burner and smaller cooking area), the Genesis II E-410 at $900 (four burners, increased cooking area but no side burner), the Spirit E-330 (side burner but smaller cooking area) at $550 or the Genesis II E-610 six burner model for $1300 if I wanted a much larger grill at $1300.

$100 and a bit of labor to get a few more years out of it seemed like a good choice.

Redrock and PanChango like this.
  17. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I agree to keep it running as long as possible. I had the Genesis Silver A from 1997 until 2014. I replaced the clicker, flavorizer bars a few times and the burner once. Really nice grill, but during the winter I found it to be under powered and not able to maintain temp. I probably could have replaced the burners a second time but moved on to the ceramic grills instead as winter cooking is easier for me.

Erik Redd likes this.
  18. Erik Redd

This model has a AA battery operated igniter. It works well and I just replaced the original AA battery a couple of weeks ago. I have to agree the ceramics would be much better for cold weather, but it's not much of an issue here since our average high in January is in the 60's. I generally only grill on it, roasting I do on the kettle.

PanChango likes this.
  19. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Today we had a Hatch Chile roasting event at a local market. Even though I have fresh Anaheim chiles in the garden, I still grabbed a small container of them. Pulled a rib steak from the freezer, seasoned with salt and pepper and cooked about 2 minutes per side about 450F. Served with grilled yellow squash and green chile, bacon, and cheddar twice baked Yukon gold potatoes.

ribsteak.jpg

PLAla, Redrock and Tiredricefarmer like this.
  20. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Anyone have or use the Weber Smokey Joe or Jumbo Joe?
    Looking for something portable, but need to know if it's deep enough to do a beer can chicken.
    Yes, it will have to sit on the lower coal rack, but will it clear the lid?

PanChango and Erik Redd like this.