Super Speed repair advice needed

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by gorgo2, Mar 31, 2014.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I just acquired a '58 TV Super Speed (my fav non-adjustable next to the Ranger and NDC SS's), but discovered a problem I've imagined before but have never seen until now. One of the safety bars is noticeably bent inward right dead in the middle, making the shave on that side far too aggressive to even attempt. I suppose someone banged it against the sink or something, though it's odd that the other side is perfectly fine. Otherwise the razor is good to go.

My first thought was to take some hefty pliers, cover the ends with rubber, heat the safety bar with a propane torch and try to bend it back into place. Now it occurs to me that doing this could dent the top of the bar downward (because pressure will have to be applied there to grip it) as the bent part moves outward, meaning the effort will be wasted. Or, even if it works I might not get it perfectly straight enough to be shaveworthy on that side. Or, maybe it'll work fine and I'm just too chicken to try it.

I can't be the first one with this problem. Any suggestions on repair are greatly appreciated.

2. LookingGlass

LookingGlass Well-Known Member

I have no experience; however, I believe your concerns are valid. When you look at the mechanics of a TTO SS, pulling or bending one end could cause the other end or side to move. Looks to me like the only sure fire way to make the adjustment is to put the razor in a jig that would allow the adjustment without any other parts allowed to move. If the razor is really hosed, you may want to try adjusting the bent part. Kinda between a rock and a hard spot, so to speak. Good luck - hope you successfully make the repair.

gorgo2 likes this.
  3. stonyloam

stonyloam Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
    gorgo2 and maltedmilk like this.
  4. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

You might try finding a copy with bad doors and swap them out?

gorgo2 likes this.
  5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

All good suggestions but I took the easiest/laziest route. A pair of channel locks gently put the heated bar back in place...a bit too much. It's once again perfectly even but the blade gap is now smaller than on the normal side. So what I've ended up with is a standard '50s era SS on one side and what feels like a Blue Tip on the other. A negligible difference in mm but the "fixed" side is noticeably midler now.

Operation could have went much worse than it did, so I'm happy with it.