Superlather, not the site

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Single Wedge, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

I was reading a thread yesterday and heard about this superlather thing. I tried it this morning. Proraso and williams. Worked great for suds but I did not notice a real difference in the quality of the suds on the mug or the shave.

Any one else use this method and what were your results?

2. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

I can't get rid of suds if I have too much water in the mix. I don't like suds, I like lather (suds are little air bubbles, right?)

I get really thick, creamy, slick lather when I mix water, soap, cream, and ... I just can't say what the other ingredient is but it works!

3. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Suds is shorter that lather. My fingers are tired and I am lazy. I think I should introduce a SOM, Suds on the Mug

4. hoglahoo

Ah. So, you tried supersuds :D
    Suds are what I use when I shower, lather is what I use on my face (is that what you're calling a mug? I use a mug to create lather, you use a mug to absorb suds, hehe)

5. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Semantics. A mug as in he has an ugly mug. I am suffering from 50's tv syndrome, I watched the wild bunch this morning. You can use suds in the washer. And to wash your coffee mug or cup. Depends on where you are in the world.

6. hoglahoo

I'd mug you for your suds if your mug's suds sans bubbles beat my mug's

7. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

I am sorry that is as confusing as a two cats with there tails tied together.

8. hoglahoo

Try a soap other than Williams for your supersuds if you're not seeing a quality difference

9. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Colgate puck? I hear it is the best stuff out there.:rolleyes:

10. hoglahoo

Beats me. I have some mama bear vanilla that works well, but the best stuff I use for super / uber suds is a no-name plain looking white soap donated by a guy for the srp meetup event in carolina a few weeks back. I wish I knew more about it, it's really slick

11. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

When I make super lathers I use MWF as a base. That stuff alone makes crazy thick LATHER (no suds). I than tend to add either a drop of GFT or T&H soap to round off the super lather and make it thick like margarine. This gives me more than enough lather for a 3 pass shave without using a bowl, even with my super hard water.

12. Masonjarjar

Masonjarjar Active Member

Van Der Hagen Deluxe + Proraso is an awesome superlather combo.

I'm not so much a fan of using Williams in superlathers..

13. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I'm not much of a fan of using williams or VDH with anything.

14. J T

J T Member

After you work the soap into the brush, put a few drops of glycerin in the bowl and build your lather. The glycerin is a moisturizer and makes the lather really slick - Very Nice and no need to worry about opposing scents. The glycerin is available in drug stores and the health and beauty aids section of your food mart.

15. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Good tip JT, I'll try that next time. Williams is missing some smoothers, glycerin may help.

16. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Post #1 thru #7 :happy097

17. Duckster

Duckster Wabbit Season!

I don't buy into the superlather hype as far as it creating a superior lather over using just a soap or cream on its own. If you like experimenting and mixing scents, that's great. I get a super lather from using just a super soap or a super cream. YMMV and all that.

Sorry if I sound like a downer, I don't mean to.

Humbug!

:p

18. hoglahoo

You do not like it.
    So you say.
    Try it! Try it!
    And you may.
    Try it and you may, I say

[​IMG]

19. freebird

freebird Active Member

Reminds me of a buddy of mine. He decided to fix dinner for his parents before they got home. He was always telling them he was going to fix green eggs and ham for them, this time he did. He added food coloring to the eggs to turn them green, and scrambled them, adding ham chunks. When he finished he sat down and was eating or was until I told him that it looked like a roadkill turtle. :shocked003 He didn't eat a bite after that. :rofl

20. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

My superlather experiment:

I used Susie's Bubbles soap (shea butter/ goat milk blend, tea tree scent) and Edge shaving cream I have sitting around from my pre-DE days. I wanted to test the quality of lather, see if it improved.

Results: I like the lather. I'm going to drop some money on a quality cream now because... the scent from the Edge cream was foul. Very strong chemical odor. Made me wonder how I used it before I started with soaps. I don't normally care about scents, but this was very strong and very bad. Stay far away.

Oh, and the shave was very good. Smooth and comfortable, with nice glide and cushy protection. I think I'll like this superlather thingy once I get some good cream.